Cruise Travel Insurance Provider Recommendation

icepickjazz

Any one have suggestions for sources of Cruise / Travel Insurances? Policies and prices seem to be all over the place. Any to avoid?

insuremytrip.com, tripinsurancestore.com, squaremouth.com are all good reference sites. Check on the Underwriter ratings, and check with the Better Business Bureau ratings before you buy. Best of all, check with any of your friends who had to submit claims.

I use Travel Insured Intl, which is used by USAA insurance for their members. USAA is extremely highly rated, and very careful about how and who they work with. USAA is only open to military and ex-military, but Travel Insured is not their company.

Our TA has worked with Access America -- accessamerica.com -- and recommends it highly.

In response to the previous comment about insuremytrip, see the other thread about not using a company they placed insurance with and seems now to be at least stalling on payment of claims.

In response to the previous comment about insuremytrip, see the other thread about not using a company they placed insurance with and seems now to be at least stalling on payment of claims.

It's far too early to assume that the fault lies with the insurance company in this case. The poster started out by saying that it's been 4 weeks since he filed a claim. A few posts later, he said 6 weeks. According to him, "he had to cancel his trip". What does that mean? The insurance company will require MD certification, death certificates, etc. Was there a preexisting condition, and did he buy the insurance early enough so this didn't matter?

Sadly, most people who buy travel insurance assume that if they have to cancel or cut short a trip, their claim will be paid. Unfortunately, it's a lot more complicated than that. You have to read your policy in detail during the trial period when you can still cancel and buy another policy. I've had friends cry on my shoulder about the bad insurance company that wouldn't pay their claim, when I knew darn well that they weren't entitled to payment. Telling them why is tricky, and a good way to lose friends.

Archived