Sleeping Accomodations?

sunshine 229

I will be traveling on Explorer of the Seas in February, with my sister who has a number of health problems which have rendered her weak and restrict her mobility. She can walk short distances but has trouble getting in or out of bed, or even shifting her position, by herself, once she is in bed.

At home for the last few weeks she has been sleeping mostly in a reclinning lift chair which enables her to get up by herself and to shift to a more comfortable position without having to wake someone else up to help her.

I've never heard of anything of that sort on a cruise ship but thought I would ask if anyone here knows if there is anything like that available or if anyone has any experience with a similar situation or any suggestions to help.

I know they can get hospital beds that incline and recline, but I've not heard that they can provide those chairs that lift and lower.

Thanks for your response. I'm not sure if the hospital bed would help or not, she seems to need to be lifted to a close to vertical position in order to be able to get up. I'll check with my sister if she thinks the bed would help. I guess if we do want to arrange one of those it would have to be done in advance and the bed would be rented?

Thanks for your response. I'm not sure if the hospital bed would help or not, she seems to need to be lifted to a close to vertical position in order to be able to get up. I'll check with my sister if she thinks the bed would help. I guess if we do want to arrange one of those it would have to be done in advance and the bed would be rented?

You can request extra pillows to prop her up. If that's something that can work ? Or perhaps bring a foam ortho pillow wedge with that can be used to prop her up. These are usually used to elevate feet but think it might work at getting her more upright when in bed. Just a thought. Somthing similar to the ones found in this link. ( Note I am not endorsing these companies In fact I've never done business with them . Only using it for reference. There are many companies that sell these these types of wedges.

http://www.nulifemedical.com/store/pc/Bed-Wedges-c629.htm?gclid=CJGMw7iqpJ8CFQTyDAod0m9yEw

http://www.homedeliverymedical.com/weekly_specials12.aspx?gclid=CMbf2-arpJ8CFQUhDQodNB122A

Or course you can always rent a hoyer lift to get her in and out of bed if needed.

You need to call the Special Needs Dept. of your cruise line. They do rent recliners (carevacations, special needs at sea) which can replace one of the beds. Whether these are standard recliners or lift chairs I do not know.

You need to call the Special Needs Dept. of your cruise line. They do rent recliners (carevacations, special needs at sea) which can replace one of the beds. Whether these are standard recliners or lift chairs I do not know.

Thank you so much for the suggestion. I have been in touch with Royal Caribbean and with one of the companies you mentioned and it seems that they do have reclining lift chairs for rent. I think this will make a big difference to my sister's enjoyment of this trip.

Archived