Disembarkation in Valparaiso, Chile

arlenez

Hi:

Has anyone carried their luggage off the ship in Valparaiso, Chile instead of leaving it out the night before? I understand that you have to take a shuttle from the ship to the terminal and that anyone can walk into the terminal and walk off with your luggage.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Arlene

Just docked in Valpo last Sunday. There is really no room on the shuttle bus for anything but your carryon (which goes in your lap). No luggage area under the bus. Our luggage went out early, but we chose not to go out till later. When we got to the terminal our luggage was sitting almost all alone (all the early people had come and gone) so it was very easy to find. I suppose it is possible for someone to take your luggage but, in my opinion, very unlikely. There are terminal and cruise ship personel everywhere.

Just docked in Valpo last Sunday. There is really no room on the shuttle bus for anything but your carryon (which goes in your lap). No luggage area under the bus. Our luggage went out early, but we chose not to go out till later. When we got to the terminal our luggage was sitting almost all alone (all the early people had come and gone) so it was very easy to find. I suppose it is possible for someone to take your luggage but, in my opinion, very unlikely. There are terminal and cruise ship personel everywhere.

Thanks. I feel better now about the luggage situation.

Regards,

Arlene

Arlene, we just got off the Infinity and our suitcases were just fine. The shuttle ride lasts about 8 min. and you have to take it as the port is just too dangerous to walk around it. I couldn't believe the traffic there. It didn't look like anyone was watching the traffic, but we didn't see any accidents either. There were lots of folks to help in the terminal and we had a dog sniffer checking everyone before they let us go off to the buses or other transports. I think they were mostly making sure we didn't have any foodstuffs on us. Not even gum or candy. There were a lot of packages of snacks, candy and gum being left on the ship. They announced that there was a hefty fine up to $200 if you tried to take anything food like off the ship by the Chilean authorities. So we left my packaged cheesecrackers, cookies and trail mix on the ship. The only thing you could take was water.

Arlene, we just got off the Infinity and our suitcases were just fine. The shuttle ride lasts about 8 min. and you have to take it as the port is just too dangerous to walk around it. I couldn't believe the traffic there. It didn't look like anyone was watching the traffic, but we didn't see any accidents either. There were lots of folks to help in the terminal and we had a dog sniffer checking everyone before they let us go off to the buses or other transports. I think they were mostly making sure we didn't have any foodstuffs on us. Not even gum or candy. There were a lot of packages of snacks, candy and gum being left on the ship. They announced that there was a hefty fine up to $200 if you tried to take anything food like off the ship by the Chilean authorities. So we left my packaged cheesecrackers, cookies and trail mix on the ship. The only thing you could take was water.

Thanks.

Regards,

Arlene

Hi, just got off the Celebrity Infinity at Valparaiso - and it was the elections and everything, yes, everything was closed! As far as I could see no one could take their own luggage off. The bus to get you to the terminal isn't set up for luggage and all cases are screened before they get to the collection point. Also, all passengers have their carry one bags checked by sniffer dogs and people are taken out of the line for taking the 'bedtime chocolates' off the ship. The cruise was fanatastic - the airport was chaos - be patient and think South American! Our plane was delayed by 1hr 45 mins and that gave use 10 minutes to get our connecting flight to London. A sprint across the airport sorted it!

Totally agree about the airport WHAT A ZOO!!!!!Took us almost 2 hours to get our boarding pass, check luggage ,and get through security. Then we had to go through security again and have our hand luggage checked before boarding the plane. Had touble in the airport finding a drinking fountain. Bought water after going through the first security check point but when boarding plane at second check point water had to be thrown away. Couldn't understand if they checked you once and then you bought water at a secure location it had to be thrown away. OH welll whatever will keep me safe.

We just got off the NCL Sun. Same terminal. Same process.

So did NCL even offer express walk off? From what I can read here, even if they did and you made it off the ship, there wouldn't be room to get to the terminal? We have arrangements for a port pickup for our transport to Santiago airport (with a tour in between) set for 8:30 am figuring we would use express walkoff, but if its not offered then we might need to adjust our pickup time. Any advice you can offer is most appreciated!

No express walk off offered here. The ship disembarks from the top deck down. We were on deck 10 with a time of 8:20. With the immigration check (standing in a line while dogs sniff every carry on bag set down in front of you), clearing immigration, riding the bus and retreving luggage--I'd say we took 30-45 minutes to get out of the terminal. I do know that if your cabin was on a lower deck but you wanted to get off earlier, they would exchange the colored tags you received for earlier ones.

Thanks so much for the info...will change our plans! Any other wisdom you want to offer on any aspect of the cruise will be greatly appreciated. If you are willing, email me at BigNCBear@aol.com.

Good thing I caught this thread. I didn't know disembarking in Santiago was such a problem. Peg and I usually walk off. I'll let you know how it went. We leave on Tues.

Good thing I caught this thread. I didn't know disembarking in Santiago was such a problem.

It is not "such a problem". But Chile has as strict, if not stricter, agriculture laws than California. They don't want anything entering their country that could impact/wipe out their fruit crop. Hence, the agriculture inspection with the highly trained beagles. All that fruit except oranges, apples and pears you purchase in the winter from Wakefern and Pathmark comes from South America. The luggage, off loaded BEFORE the passengers, is also pre checked by the dogs before the passengers can take possesion of it.

AND the port is a working port-they don't want people wandering around on their own. I was down there one year taking care of my business (international logistics-I move a lot of fruit out of Chile) and was also watching the cruise passengers. This was an X Christmas cruise with lots of SA families. A lot of kids got away from Mom and Dad, crawled under the barricades and were down by the cranes loading containers. It caused total chaos-port workers chasing kids instead of assisting the crane loaders, trying to keep container doors closed the kids were opening (refrigerated containers that shut down the refrigeration units when the doors are opened) and just a general free for all.

You will NOT be allowed to just walk off the ship.

It is not "such a problem". But Chile has as strict, if not stricter, agriculture laws than California. They don't want anything entering their country that could impact/wipe out their fruit crop. Hence, the agriculture inspection with the highly trained beagles. All that fruit except oranges, apples and pears you purchase in the winter from Wakefern and Pathmark comes from South America. The luggage, off loaded BEFORE the passengers, is also pre checked by the dogs before the passengers can take possesion of it.

AND the port is a working port-they don't want people wandering around on their own. I was down there one year taking care of my business (international logistics-I move a lot of fruit out of Chile) and was also watching the cruise passengers. This was an X Christmas cruise with lots of SA families. A lot of kids got away from Mom and Dad, crawled under the barricades and were down by the cranes loading containers. It caused total chaos-port workers chasing kids instead of assisting the crane loaders, trying to keep container doors closed the kids were opening (refrigerated containers that shut down the refrigeration units when the doors are opened) and just a general free for all.

You will NOT be allowed to just walk off the ship.

I didn't find it a problem either Greatam, nor did I have a problem with the airport. It was a very smooth process. For those of you unaware, NCL separates the luggage by colored tags but, they do not stop you from disembarking before your color is called. Clay, all you have to do is go to the purser and tell them you have an early pickup and have your tags exchanged. Not a problem.

The only "problem" is that for us who have become used to packing light and taking advantage of NCL's express walkoff option (no bags out the night before/no colored tags - you just have to get your own bags off without help) by packing lightly in our "roll-aboards", will have to go back to the "old" way. No biggie...thanks for all your words of advice.

When we arrive 11 April 2010, we will be doing a one day excursion and then returning to the ship for voyage onwards to Miami. Our excursion will be guided by local driver not NCL contractor. What procedures can we expect and where is best place to meet tour provider? Thanks once again, les:)

I live in Chile- I don't trust anyone near my bags period. Theft is very big here. The customs is very strict ... the newest restriction is any product that has honey in it including Burt's Bees Wax products - which happen to be in the business class goodies on some airlines... the fine is $250 US. The airport is always a zoo and the line ups are long. Welcome to Chile!;)

• 2 weeks later...

Do you mean the day you disembark? We arrived at 7am and were on a tour at 10:30, at the airport at 7:30P and on a flight to Pit at 11:00P. We lived through it cause DH had to be back to work. A layover for a day would be nice if you have the time. However, almost all international flights leave very late at night so you still will be wondering around all day the next day.

I live in Chile- I don't trust anyone near my bags period. Theft is very big here. The customs is very strict ... the newest restriction is any product that has honey in it including Burt's Bees Wax products - which happen to be in the business class goodies on some airlines... the fine is $250 US. The airport is always a zoo and the line ups are long. Welcome to Chile!;)

We cruised to Chile 22 years ago, and the airport was a zoo. Your economy is doing better than the rest of SA, why can't they do something about the airport?

Do you mean the day you disembark? We arrived at 7am and were on a tour at 10:30, at the airport at 7:30P and on a flight to Pit at 11:00P. We lived through it cause DH had to be back to work. A layover for a day would be nice if you have the time. However, almost all international flights leave very late at night so you still will be wondering around all day the next day.

Hi yes the flightis 1400 on the day of disembarkation as its only a short flight to Buenos Aires then we fly back to the UK the next day from BA

Hi yes the flightis 1400 on the day of disembarkation as its only a short flight to Buenos Aires then we fly back to the UK the next day from BA

You are cutting it close. Most likely, ship will not clear and you won't be off until 8:30AM-9AM. Then 2 hour drive to SCL. PLAN on 2 hours to get through security AND check in. In ADDITION, you will have to stand in the departure tax line to pay departure tax on your intra-South America flight. There are flights just about every hour to BA. I wouldn't take the chance. Give yourself an extra hour or two.

We disembarked from Veendam on January 30.

It was not a good experience… We had expected to disembark about 9:30

The ship arrived an hour late due to weather.

As others have reported we were docked at a container port, and needed a shuttle to get to the customs/immigration facility…

We arrived. We took a long time to tie up. We embarked a cleaning crew (we were on Code Red and they took aboard a local crew to help disinfect the ship)

Supplies for the next cruise started to arrive… two cranes arrived… they moves stuff about apparently without plan. There were lots of port workers… they fusses around… they moved the pallets of supplies about the pier, then back… they finally moved one crane into position to unload luggage…

Someone pushed one pallet out of the ship onto the platform… they then waited a while to consider the progress… then two of the stevedores rigged the rack and it was plucked off the ship and deposited on the dock… they then waited a while to consider the progress…

They began to unload the rack and hand carry it to the waiting trucks… slowly… they continued to unload, slowly… then folded the rack, only then did the crane pick up the second rack… slowly…

I have some experience in moving freight… 35 years ago in college I had a teamsters card and worked freight … I strongly suspected that I was seeing a labor action…

Aboard the ship nothing was said… We were scheduled to disembark about 9:30, but 9:30 went, 10:30 went, 11:30 went and we were still aboard. We could watch them unload luggage, receive produce and supplies for the next cruise, and receive a special local crew to clean and sterilize the ship. We noted that no one seemed to have a sense of urgency to move the luggage...

The ship began to shut down services, first the coffee bar, then most of the service on the Lido,. as scheduled, a schedule that assumed the passengers had left, which of course, they hadn't. This was not HAL’s best moment…

Finally, about 11:45 our number was called and we disembarked. The port of Valparaiso is a bit weird. we were docked at a container port. customs and immigration was about a mile away in a remote building, so it was a bus ride to the building to claim bags and clear immigration.

We arrived, left our carry on bags on the floor as instructed… and the dog (a cute dog, a friendly dog) did the dog walk… we picked up our carry on bags, picked up our luggage and left.

We had booked a local guide (Christian the Van Man, strongly recommended) for a tour of Valparaiso, a wine tasting, a tour of Santiago and a drop off at the airport… He, driver and van were waiting… and waiting… and waiting… (as we had) off for a tour of Valparaiso, the wine tasting, lunch, and having left late we abandoned Santiago…

As others have reported the lines at Santiago airport we legendary… a line at the Delta counter… a line for immigration, (to collect the sworn statement that we wouldn’t import banned agricultural items)… then security, followed by the wait to board, then more security, a pat down and bag check before boarding…

So, short story… It was hard to get off the ship, HAL didn't seem to handle it as well as they could (may have been beyond control) Valparaiso is wonderful, maybe my favorite city, great wine tasting, and unfathomable security and long lines at the airport…

Archived