First HAL Cruise

Freddy's Family

Taking the Eurodam on 1/30 to the Eastern Caribbean. First time on HAL. Any comments?

It's all good. :)

Maybe if you have more specific questions it woudl be easier to respond.

Welcome to Cruise Critic and HAL.

We just enjoyed our first HAL cruise in December. Had a wonderful time, as I know you will, too. Definitely book a dinner in Pinnacle--food and service are excellent--worth every cent of the surcharge! Tamarind is also excellent, but we enjoyed the Pinnacle the most. Silk Den is a beautiful lounge, so don't miss it, even if you don't decide to dine in Tamarind. If you want to simply veg out on deck, not have to fight for deck chairs, and be able to be in or out of the sun, book a Retreat Cabana if you can--especiallly on one of those sea days. We did not do that, but definitely will our next cruise. Enjoy the Promenade Deck, especially napping in the chaise loungers, watching the waves go by--it's very sedating for that mid-afternoon nap. Take advantage of the Crows Nest and Explorations Lounge/Coffee Bar--we kept forgetting about it, so didn't enjoy it as much as I wish we had. It's a fabulous area to view your entry into port. On the day that you sail in to San Juan, get up there early so that you can park yourself in one of the loungers that look out over the sea--San Juan is a beautiful port to sail into as you go by El Moro. The beach/water at Half Moon Cay is wonderful--the best private island experience of any cruise line that I've been on. Savor every minute--the week goes by quickly!

We took our kids, ages 3, 7, & 10 at the time on the Eastern Caribbean last March, and the we all had the best time. Get away from Phillipsburg, St Maarten...you can get a last-minute rental from Avis or others like Budget very close to the pier, and it's fun to circumnavigate the island. If you're beach people, the French side is more interesting ;-)

We booked the Eurodam for the Eastern C also. First time on HAL but from what I have seen on this forum, we are in for a great time. From what I have read, don't expect a bunch of drunk 20 somethings or toga parties. Don't believe anything about wheel chair races or walker jogging. What I think we can expect is a more subdued and classy trip. Heard nothing but raves about the service, the ship and the line in general. This line appears to be much different from the lines I have been on and I am looking forward to this trip for a number of reasons.

Archived