Albergo Cesari or Hotel Nationale Montecitorio?

Millerhm01

With both hotels located in the same general vicinity, I'm wondering if it's worth a few extra bucks to locate at the Hotel Nationale, which is listed as a 4 star hotel? I've seen several favorable CC posts on Cesari, but none on Nationale (although Trip Advisor, Frommers & Fodors give it good reviews). Appreciate your thoughts.

For a tourist, the biggest differences at the Nationale vs. the Cesari are the restaurant and the concierge. The Nationale also has conference facilities, but that generally isn't a relevant point for tourists, unless you want to avoid possibly being there while a large meeting is taking place.

(I was once staying in a hotel in Naples when the Prime Minister was speaking at a conference. It made for an unusally safe stay - lots of military and police on every floor of the hotel.)

There are other, smaller differences (radio in your room at the Nationale, wireless internet at the Cesari). What's important to you?

I have to admit that I'm not familiar with the Nationale, but I have stayed at Albergo Cesari and thought it was a quite good hotel in terms of location, rooms, breakfast, etc considering the price of other hotels in the vicinity.

Be aware that a 3-star hotel, 4-star hotel etc have a different meaning in Italy. Stars are given more on the basis of what the hotel offers (as eurocruiser says, the fact that Nationale has a restaurant may be what makes it a 4-star property), not how deluxe it is or how good the service is. As an example, the perenially popular and raved about hotel, Albergo del Senato, is only a 3-star property.

For a tourist, the biggest differences at the Nationale vs. the Cesari are the restaurant and the concierge. The Nationale also has conference facilities, but that generally isn't a relevant point for tourists, unless you want to avoid possibly being there while a large meeting is taking place.

(I was once staying in a hotel in Naples when the Prime Minister was speaking at a conference. It made for an unusally safe stay - lots of military and police on every floor of the hotel.)

There are other, smaller differences (radio in your room at the Nationale, wireless internet at the Cesari). What's important to you?

What about the size of the hotel rooms?

I have to admit that I'm not familiar with the Nationale, but I have stayed at Albergo Cesari and thought it was a quite good hotel in terms of location, rooms, breakfast, etc considering the price of other hotels in the vicinity.

Be aware that a 3-star hotel, 4-star hotel etc have a different meaning in Italy. Stars are given more on the basis of what the hotel offers (as eurocruiser says, the fact that Nationale has a restaurant may be what makes it a 4-star property), not how deluxe it is or how good the service is. As an example, the perenially popular and raved about hotel, Albergo del Senato, is only a 3-star property.

Your comment on Italy's rating system was an "aha moment" for me. Thanks.

Archived