Cape Liberty NJ

teach01

Has anyone been here before, I am leaving from the philadelphia area and considering a limo versus driving--any thoughts?

Thanks

Hey Teach, where are you heading from Cape Liberty? We are really hoping for more cruises out of there. We are from CT so it would be about 2 1/2 hours drive and that's perfect for us, but we refuse going north (we are already in New England), we want as south as possible.

I left from there last year and am going again in July. It was great. We arrived, by limo, at 11:30 and were aboard ship at 11:55. Parking, from what I heard was not expensive, abundant, and convenient. We live in North Jersey and the limo drive, 45 minutes, is the start of our vacation. You can go either way. Wouldn't a limo from Philadelphia be really expensive? Parking was 12-15 dollars per day.

teach01: You see where we live, and we drove to Bayonne last summer. Just hop on the PA tpk east to NJ tpk, and off at exit 14, straight on to Bayonne. Easiest thing in the world.

I wouldn't spring for the limo. It cost $12 a day to park (cash or credit card) and the parking lot is SO close to the terminal where you check in that I just walked. They tell you that there's a shuttle, but it was insanely close - I think that it was closer to walk from our car to the doorway than it was to walk from our aft cabin on the Voyager to the front of the ship!! LOL.

It was fun looking at all the cars, limousines included, jockeying for space to pull up and getting very frustrated in the traffic. We had just stayed FAR RIGHT as we came around in the driveway, entered the lot, and parked. I highly recommend this.

Carol

We left from Bayonne in Sept., as stated it is very easy to get to port. Much easier and more convenient than NY. But the veiws of the skyline are not as good, and you pass the back side of Lady Liberty. I have also heard a number of people coming in a day early, staying at a hotel. Some hotels offer free parking,and transportation to the port. Harry

We left from Bayonne in Sept., as stated it is very easy to get to port. Much easier and more convenient than NY. But the veiws of the skyline are not as good, and you pass the back side of Lady Liberty. I have also heard a number of people coming in a day early, staying at a hotel. Some hotels offer free parking,and transportation to the port. Harry

Oh, Harry, but what about that great moment when the ship sails under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge??? The clearance is only about 21 feet! It's fantastic.

Carol

We did that on our cruise in May (I think when we do the repo cruise this upcoming May, the clearance will happen too early for us to see). Going under that bridge with that little clearance is absolutely -amazing- to witness...

Teach...

What sailing of Voyager are you on? We're on 7/1....

My suggestion... make the drive in the morning... park at the cruise terminal... parking for the week is under $100 I think... it is a secure lot...

I wouldn't mess with a limo... as disembarkation tends to be a bit nutso...

We are on the Voyager 10/21/05 but need to get to Bayonne from the NYC cruise terminal. We are doing a back to back and the first part is on the NCL Jewel which debarks on the 21st at the NYC pier.

I have been told that it is a few miles and an easy cab ride. Is this correct?

Oh, Harry, but what about that great moment when the ship sails under the Verrazano Narrows Bridge??? The clearance is only about 21 feet! It's fantastic.

Carol

I have seen pictures of that on webshots. Its looks amazing and I will be right there on my aft balcony watching it.

Sally,

Unfortunatly, there is no such thing as an easy cab ride in NYC, let alone one that need to go from Manhattan to Bayonne, NJ. If I were you, I would investigate a limo or car service with a fixed price rather than a city cab. A city cab would require you to pay all tolls (Lincoln Tunnel, New Jersey Turnpike) and will charge double for any travel outside of the city, i.e. New Jersey. You may also want to contact RCI to see if they have any transportation from NYC to Bayonne, if not from the pier, than from one of the railroad stations (Penn or Grand Central) or from the Port Authority Bus Terminal. Those locations would only require you to take a cab within Manhattan.

CC

How about taking public transportation from NYC to Bayonne? I know, I know with all those bags...but still it can be an option for someome who doesn't want to spend a lot of money on limo. BTW I checked one of the company's in NYC and was given a quote for $150 + tolls!

There is a light rail station in Bajonne and I read somewhere that RCI provides free shuttle to the port.

Did anyone tried this?

TIA

P.S. Forget I asked. Just called RCI Customer Service and complimentary shuttle is no longer available.

As far as I know, there is no direct public transportation from Manhattan to Bayonne. There are ways of getting to the New Jersey side of the river though, such as the PATH train to Jersey City (from either mid-town - 33rd and 6th Ave. or the WTC station) or the NY Waterway ferry (if it's still in running that is). Once in New Jersey, the cab fare should be much less than from NYC.

Thanks everyone for your help on my situation. So a taxi might not want to take us out of the city? I hear the the NYC pier is really congested and I don't want to hold up a cab line. However, the cabs must take people to Newark airport from the pier.

We will have so much luggage that public transportaion won't be possible.

Are the tolls really huge? Someone guesstimated cab fare at $60 plus tip and tolls. Sound about right?

Can anyone suggest a car service I might contact?

I have seen pictures of that on webshots. Its looks amazing and I will be right there on my aft balcony watching it.

Word of advice: Don't stay on your own balcony. Go up onto the HIGHEST deck that you can get to. The bridge is so close that you feel like you could reach up and touch it.

Carol

Word of advice: Don't stay on your own balcony. Go up onto the HIGHEST deck that you can get to. The bridge is so close that you feel like you could reach up and touch it.

Carol

Thank you for the tip. I will have my camera ready and waiting on the top deck.

Sally,

I just checked the NYC Taxi web site about out of city fares. The fare to Bayonne would be a flat fare, i.e. un-metered. I don't know exactly how much it would be, but the fare to Newark Airport is around $85 to $90. I don't know how many people are travelling in your party or how much luggage you have, but you should know that most NYC cabs are standard sedans with a trunk. If you have a lot of luggage you may not be able to fit it in the cab's trunk.

I can't really recommend a car or van service since I've always driven and parked at the port. Maybe someone else on the board can help you or you may try doing a Google search on "New York City car service".

CC

Carpe Cerevisi, thanks a lot! It's just the two of us but doing the back to back cruises, we will have a lot of bags. I will do a seach for a car service and maybe check with "trip advisor". Their forums have good info, too.

I am also wondering about the length of this trip between ports. We put it on mapquest and it looks to be 10-12 miles. We travel on a Tuesday, will traffic be a big factor? I am thinking if we hire a car we might have time for a quick NYC tour?

Sally,

Assuming that you'd be traveling between rush hours the traffic shouldn't be too much of a problem, especially once you're out of the city.

The NYC pier is mid-town, around 53rd street. The driver could take the Lincoln Tunnel (near 40th) or the Holland Tunnel (in SoHo). The Holland Tunnel is probably the best for getting to Port Liberty. If you go that way you might be able to get the driver to take you through mid-town for some sight seeing.

CC

I wonder if you might be best off with something like this -- there's a shuttle bus that goes from Manhattan to Newark Airport:

http://www.coachusa.com/airporterusa.cfm?location_id=1126

From there, youc an catch a taxi from the airport to the pier. My guess is that it would have to be less expensive (though slightly less convenient) than taking a taxi directly from the pier...

Archived