Celebrity price drop: Typical amounts and timings

wanderlust402

I have read many posts discussing price drops. While the economy may be looking up, it seems like there has been a lot of new capacity added in the cruise industry lately (Carnival Dream, Oasis of the Seas, Solstice/Equinox/Eclipse).

Right now I have two active reservations.

1.) 4 night holiday trip December 2010 on Century, concierge class (C2), $748 per person.

2.) 7 night spring break trip March 2011 on Eclipse, aqua class (AQ), $1498 per person.

What are my odds of seeing a price drop? If I do see a price drop, when am I most likely to see this (before/after final payment, last few weeks)? What is a typical price drop that others have seen for these types of itineraries and dates? Am I correct that before final payment you would receive a price reduction and after final payment it would be an on-board credit?

I realize that I may need to be proactive with alerting my travel agent of the drop, I just wasn't sure how frequently I should be looking of if there were an automated tool that would facilitate the research.

Your problem is you are booked during holiday times, the busiest and highest cost for all cruiselines. So your chance of big drops is significantly dropped already.

All you can do is check X once a week and pretend book the exact category room you have booked. There might be a senior or resident discount that will pop, but they aren't THAT popular. Its supply and demand. And again, you are cruising peak time.

That being said you are sooooo far in advance with your bookings that things can happen. Yes, you can get a credit on the final amount due or if after final payment, most times you will be offered an obc. The rates will jump UP as well as down as you watch. Just jump on it if you see the rate go down , becasue it could be a short term drop.

The amount can vary from drop to drop. Our Med cruise dropped $1,000 per person in the 10 months precruise. That was a total of four drops I found. But by the time it was 3 weeks pre cruise, the rates were back up to the original rates, and people paid for an inside room what we paid for our verandah. you just never know. Good luck!!

Some ta's charge a few after one change due to drops. Which I think is terrible. But I guess if their commision is based on cost of cruise, some don't want you to find those discounts. himpf

Celebrity does most price drops on Tuesdays, sometimes they are only special rates, and they will not issue credits, but then again your TA might get you a break.

I usually wait until 2 1/2 to 3 weeks before the departure date to book and always see a significant drop.

Your problem is you are booked during holiday times, the busiest and highest cost for all cruiselines. So your chance of big drops is significantly dropped already.

Indeed, the joys of being married to a school teacher. At least cruising is better than going to Walt Disney World. There are only so many people that they can fit on the ship. We have been to Disney at Easter twice, and oh my was that crowded. Once she retires in 20-25 years we would then be able to do the really cool cruises we are longing after like Trans-Atlantic and Panama Canal cruises.

Thank you for the advice. I will monitor and hope. Again, I am hoping that more of the winter holiday with the kids folks and the spring break party crowd will be on Carnival or Royal Caribbean.

Indeed, the joys of being married to a school teacher. At least cruising is better than going to Walt Disney World. There are only so many people that they can fit on the ship. We have been to Disney at Easter twice, and oh my was that crowded. Once she retires in 20-25 years we would then be able to do the really cool cruises we are longing after like Trans-Atlantic and Panama Canal cruises.

Thank you for the advice. I will monitor and hope. Again, I am hoping that more of the winter holiday with the kids folks and the spring break party crowd will be on Carnival or Royal Caribbean.

As a retired teacher, I know exactly how you feel!!! ;) We ended up doing most of our vacations, while I was teaching, at land resorts. Avoided a lot of kids then. But you are correct in that there will be fewer kids on X. RCL and Carnival are known for their kids programs. X doesn't market to that crowd.

Noticed you booked Aqua Class. Because it is a new ship and that is a special class, I don't think it will drop. Or at least I wouldn't count on it. People that want that class, book right away because they are limited in number. Whereas typical verandah or concierge verandah cabins are many.

Celebrity does most price drops on Tuesdays, sometimes they are only special rates, and they will not issue credits, but then again your TA might get you a break.

I usually wait until 2 1/2 to 3 weeks before the departure date to book and always see a significant drop.

Booking 2 1/2 to 3 weeks out gives you a significant drop compared to what? If you haven't watched the rates you wouldn't know how low the fare might have been.

We always book at least 1 year out (peferabley as soon as the dates are announced) and watch for price drops; that way you know you will definitely be getting the best fare.

We have a cruise booked for Feb 5 which we booked summer of 2008. We booked a regular balcony room. the Concierge Class rooms were $300 more and the aqua class was $500 more at the time of booking. I checked rates about every week. In early January there was a resident rate price reduction and I was able to reduce my balcony fare or upgrade to Aqua class for $90 PP. We chose AQ so we can eat in Blu. Shortly after this the prices sky rocketed and now (2 1/2 weeks out) the oceanview is going for more than I had orgionally booked a balcony for.

I say :BOOK AS SOON AS POSSIBLE and check every week for a price reduction. That way you know you have gotten the best deal.

Booking 2 1/2 to 3 weeks out gives you a significant drop compared to what? If you haven't watched the rates you wouldn't know how low the fare might have been.

We always book at least 1 year out (peferabley as soon as the dates are announced) and watch for price drops; that way you know you will definitely be getting the best fare.

We have a cruise booked for Feb 5 which we booked summer of 2008. We booked a regular balcony room. the Concierge Class rooms were $300 more and the aqua class was $500 more at the time of booking. I checked rates about every week. In early January there was a resident rate price reduction and I was able to reduce my balcony fare or upgrade to Aqua class for $90 PP. We chose AQ so we can eat in Blu. Shortly after this the prices sky rocketed and now (2 1/2 weeks out) the oceanview is going for more than I had orgionally booked a balcony for.

I say :BOOK AS SOON AS POSSIBLE and check every week for a price reduction. That way you know you have gotten the best deal.

Good advice. For an example of how prices fluctuate, and how booking late does not always work, here's my experience with an upcoming Baltic cruise on the Constellation:

We booked 15 months out at $5898 per couple for our category stateroom, a C2 balcony. Five months later I noticed a price drop of almost $900 and immediately called Celebrity, who quickly applied the lower price to my reservation. A couple of months later the price started going up, about $400 at a time, until it finally topped off at $6318 - $420 MORE than my original booking price, and $1300 more than what we are paying. All balcony staterooms, including our category, are now sold out, as are all ocean view staterooms. And this a full 8 months before the cruise is scheduled to sail!

So, book early, watch for price drops, and take advantage of any discounts that may become available. The $$$$ you may save could easily pay for all excursions you may want to take, as in our case. And you will be able to reserve the type of room you prefer, and in many cases the exact room number, without it being unavailable when you decide to book.

There is a web site that monitors the price and notifies you about an increase or price drop.i think its against the rules to give out the web address on this board.let me know if anyone thinks i can give out the adress.

If you don't feel comfortable sharing a link (and I would agree with you) could you give me a useful phrase to google? Chat board software does monitor direct links and those can lead to additional review.

same here! We just booked, and our vacation planner kept asking us if there was another time we could go (besides July) because rates were lower, and we could have gotten a nicer cabin/suite for the same price.... oh well.

I really wish they would have special pricing for teachers, like they have for police/EMT/military. In my opinion, teachers rank right up there with the rest of 'em :D

google **********.they have a link where you fill in your cruise.cabin preference ect and they will send you price dropd/increases.

No luck -- :-(

Glenneagle,

Do you think you could drop me an email with the link? snowwmax and my email site is Yahoo.

I currently check Celebrity's site each wednesday.

Thanks!

-Steve

Our AQ cabin on the Solstice in May 2010 just dropped $300 p/p this week! I was pleasantly surprised as I too doubted the AQ cabins would drop. The standard balconies have been bouncing prices up and down for about a month, so I figured they'd play with those prices only. But I'm glad I was wrong!

Our AQ cabin on the Solstice in May 2010 just dropped $300 p/p this week! I was pleasantly surprised as I too doubted the AQ cabins would drop. The standard balconies have been bouncing prices up and down for about a month, so I figured they'd play with those prices only. But I'm glad I was wrong!

I am hopeful as Aqua Class and Blu aren't really for everyone. When you think about it there are a large number of AQ cabins and unlike some of the other categories are not sliced into sub categorites (C1, C2, C3). It seems like the folks least likely to get a price drop are in a family or sunset room as there are so few of those.

Right, I am currently in a Class 2B Veranda on an Equinox cruise this June.. I am thinking of spending the extra $200pp to upgrade to C3 Class. Why you ask because for a mere $400 I can get another cruise credit point!! As CC Class gives you 2 credits for the one cruise (I learned this when we got bumped up to CC on our Alaskan cruise).

Celebrity always gives you the price drop if you call them. If you have made a final payment, they will give you an OBC. Are you sure you are not confusing Celebrity with RCCL new bookings that come out on Tuesday?

same here! We just booked, and our vacation planner kept asking us if there was another time we could go (besides July) because rates were lower, and we could have gotten a nicer cabin/suite for the same price.... oh well.

I really wish they would have special pricing for teachers, like they have for police/EMT/military. In my opinion, teachers rank right up there with the rest of 'em :D

Actually sometimes there are discounts for teachers. You just have to book with a VERY large web ta, often advertised here. They give you a list of discounts available. However X is not one of them. The site is all about "going to vacations" if you get my drift. Costa,HAL and MSC are listed as offering tchr discounts.

Actually sometimes there are discounts for teachers. You just have to book with a VERY large web ta, often advertised here. They give you a list of discounts available. However X is not one of them. The site is all about "going to vacations " if you get my drift. Costa,HAL and MSC are listed as offering tchr discounts.

Actually since you had the words in a different order and with the gerund instead of the infinitive I was a little lost. However, I did a search for "cruise teacher discount" and fairly quickly found a site similar to V******** T* G* which is what I think you were referencing.

... I started reading this thread (other than, when I'm not cruising, what do I like to do? talk about cruising) but I had to laugh when I knew immediately what site eandj meant, while wanderlust402 gave us a fun grammar lesson! The difference, of course, is that I've gotten so many emails and seen so many web ads for the specific site, it was right there at the tip of my brain, so to speak.

Wanderlust402 had evidently not heard of that specific site.

Don't you just love google?

Cheers, all -- and I think Celebrity has special low Tues. rates, as well, but both Celebrity's and RCCL's are for cruises happening very soon, in most cases.

Actually, I've also heard from a reliable source that airlines offer special low fares on Tuesdays, too.

Have fun, all!

--May

There is a web site that monitors the price and notifies you about an increase or price drop.i think its against the rules to give out the web address on this board.let me know if anyone thinks i can give out the adress.

Hello...I too was thinking of booking a cruise on the Celebrity Equinox and would love to know what the website is. Can you give us a hint?

I never thought that the cost of our Xmas and NY cruise on Constellation in 2008 will go down, but it did, for inside rooms only, about a month before the sailing date. We saved about $1000.00. That was a shock to us. I don't think I will see that again. Unfortunetely, cost for balconies almost never do go down, especially on Holiday sailings.

Archived