Which travel insurance company????

SF

Should we go with Travelex, seems like a good policy (Travel Max) or with Travel Guard (Cruise Platinum Policy)? Both are Primary insurance and have basically the same coverage. Would like to know if anyone has had to file claims from either of these companies and whether they were happy with their service.

We have used both Travel Guard and Travel EX , but did not file a claim. However we did book one cruise through Costo Stores and they provided insurance at that time , and we had to cancel the cruise due to illness and they paid for the amount not refunded, it was Colonial ?? something. be sure you get your airfare included in the insurance coverage, we didn't and had to loose that part. One thing that is important with insurance is to be sure that the carrier is the primary payor, not secondary. If it is secondary then you have to jump through a lot more hoops. Insuremytrip.com is a good website.

Cori

Yes, I want Primary Insurance and made sure both of these polices were. Thanks for posting and sharing your experience.

I have used Travelguard in the past and had claims, they took a considerable time to go through it all but eventually paid and they were not a primary insurer and were not last time I looked but I see SOME of their plans appear to be now, that is interesting. I would verify that before purchase if I were you.

A few months ago, we purchased Travel Guard insurance for my sons who did a (non-cruise) trip to London. One of my sons was diagnosed with H1N1 the day before they were due to fly home to NJ. They weren't allowed to fly home for 5 days.

My husband and I called Travel Guard from NJ, and they were VERY helpful in finding a suitable hotel and helping us rebook flights for the boys. After we sent in all the receipts and proof, etc., Travel Guard reimbursed us for everything, including several hundred dollars for long distance phone calls to London, and cell phone charges from London. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Travel Guard.

One thing though, if you DO have a claim, make sure you keep every single receipt, and proof that you've seen a doctor, etc. It will help get your claim paid as quickly as possible.

Thank you for confirming how satisfied you were with Travel Guard. Glad to hear all worked out and your sons are fine.

We decided to go with Travel Guard and paid for the policy this morning.

We are looking in to insurance also for our upcoming May cruise which we just put a deposit on. Several questions:

1) Why pay to upgrade to primary medical coverage? My insurer doesn't cover medical outside of the USA, so this secondary would pay any and all costs. Sure they may need to contact my insurer to verify, but the primary coverage option is expensive and seems unnecessary.

2) Evacuation "Hospital of Choice" coverage is important to us. Looking at the Platinum (Cruise, Tour and Travel) package, I am guessing that Hospital of Choice is included? Hard to tell looking at their quote page. Adding this option to the My Travel Guard plan, it only costs a few dollars more and the base plan price of this plan is half the price of the Platinum.

3) I don't understand the pre-existing condition and waiver for medical coverage on the My Travel Guard plan, if there is one?

This is from their DOC:

PRE-EXISTING MEDICAL CONDITION EXCLUSION WAIVER

(Only applies if Additional Covered Reasons Upgrade is purchased)

The Insurer will waive the pre-existing medical condition exclusion up to

a maximum of the first $50,000 of Trip Cost per person if the following

conditions are met:

1. This plan is purchased within 21 days of making the Initial Trip

Payment or by final payment;

2. The amount of coverage purchased equals all prepaid nonrefundable

payments or deposits applicable to the Trip at the time of purchase,

and the cost of any subsequent arrangement(s) added to the same

Trip are insured within 21 days of the date of payment or deposit

for any subsequent Trip arrangement(s);

3. All Insured’s are medically able to travel when plan cost is paid.

This appears to only apply to trip cancellation coverage. What about medical coverage?

We want to have the necessary coverage to cover any medical expenses and evacuation. We go by the adage plan for the worst hope for the best. I also don't want to be the ruin of others vacations. I have heard stories of a ship making an unscheduled stop at a port or skipping a port to go back to home port early because someone needed emergency medical care.

We are looking in to insurance also for our upcoming May cruise which we just put a deposit on. Several questions:

1) Why pay to upgrade to primary medical coverage? My insurer doesn't cover medical outside of the USA, so this secondary would pay any and all costs. Sure they may need to contact my insurer to verify, but the primary coverage option is expensive and seems unnecessary.

2) Evacuation "Hospital of Choice" coverage is important to us. Looking at the Platinum (Cruise, Tour and Travel) package, I am guessing that Hospital of Choice is included? Hard to tell looking at their quote page. Adding this option to the My Travel Guard plan, it only costs a few dollars more and the base plan price of this plan is half the price of the Platinum.

3) I don't understand the pre-existing condition and waiver for medical coverage on the My Travel Guard plan, if there is one?

This is from their DOC:

This appears to only apply to trip cancellation coverage. What about medical coverage?

We want to have the necessary coverage to cover any medical expenses and evacuation. We go by the adage plan for the worst hope for the best. I also don't want to be the ruin of others vacations. I have heard stories of a ship making an unscheduled stop at a port or skipping a port to go back to home port early because someone needed emergency medical care.

The only plans that cover pre-existing conditions and can be paid at final payment are ones through CSA and HTH. HTH longer covers some state residents.

If you don't have insurance than secondary becomes primary. However, we have insurance that pays out of the country but not at 100%. We always get secondary because if we use it it goes towards our deductible on our primary policy.

I actually just called insuremytrip.com today to ask details of evacuation coveage. They told me that there is only on plan that covers you being transported to your hospital of choice, and it's not actually an insurance plan, it's a membership plan. With all their other choice, you will be transported to the closest hospital that can properly treat you. You would only be moved to another hospital if the one you're in cannot give you adequate care.

As I said, that's what they explained to me. I would recommend you call insuremytrip.com yourself and make sure you understand all aspects of any plans you're considering.

If you take the umbrella policy add on with Travel Guard it insures you "hospital of choice" providing it is not a life and death matter. If it is then they take you to the closest hospital capable of treating the illness, otherwise you can choose.

As for primary vs. secondary the difference in cost for both of the policies/companies we were deciding upon was only $20.00 and for that small amount primary is much better. The less expensive policy with Travel Guard I believe only has 50,000 medical and that isn't enough. We prefer to have 100,000. I've heard stories from people who have had to stay in the medical center on a ship and it cost them 10,000, add on air evacuation, hospital and the numbers add up fast.

As for the pre-existing waiver part. If you purchase their insurance within the allotted time and meet all the conditions you and the others insured on the policy are covered for pre-existing medical conditions. If you don't have this then should you need to use the policy they go back either 60 or 90 days depending on the company and any visit, change of medicine or complaint won't be covered. It does cover pre-trip and while on the trip until you return home including medical.

If you take the umbrella policy add on with Travel Guard it insures you "hospital of choice" providing it is not a life and death matter. If it is then they take you to the closest hospital capable of treating the illness, otherwise you can choose.

As for primary vs. secondary the difference in cost for both of the policies/companies we were deciding upon was only $20.00 and for that small amount primary is much better. The less expensive policy with Travel Guard I believe only has 50,000 medical and that isn't enough. We prefer to have 100,000. I've heard stories from people who have had to stay in the medical center on a ship and it cost them 10,000, add on air evacuation, hospital and the numbers add up fast.

As for the pre-existing waiver part. If you purchase their insurance within the allotted time and meet all the conditions you and the others insured on the policy are covered for pre-existing medical conditions. If you don't have this then should you need to use the policy they go back either 60 or 90 days depending on the company and any visit, change of medicine or complaint won't be covered. It does cover pre-trip and while on the trip until you return home including medical.

The My Travel Guard plan (lowest TG plan) provides only $10K of medical, we can upgrade to $100K for only about $7. We plan to do so.

The My Travel Guard plan (lowest TG plan) provides only $10K of medical, we can upgrade to $100K for only about $7. We plan to do so.

I'd definitely upgrade especially for only $7.00. Should you need it the medical costs can add up real fast. Better safe than sorry. Enjoy your cruise.

Archived