How Busy will Rum Point Be?

natnik99

We will be in Grand Cayman on February 23 and there will be a whopping SIX ships in port that day. We really want to do Stingray City with Rum Point Beach but I'm worried that it will be too crowded to be enjoyable. I took the advice of another poster and checked how many other ships are offering this excursion and ALL of them are :(.

Not sure if anything else would be less croweded. It looks like our ship will be the first one there which may help... Can anyone comment on this? Perhaps someone who has been there on a very crowded day??

We were there Tuesday Jan 12th at 10:30am. Including myself and wife, there were 12 people at Rum Pt. The cool weather may have played a part in that but when we drove over to 7 mile a couple of hours later, it was packed. Also 5 ships in port.

• 4 months later...

I'd be interested to know this for our sail date as well - there will be two ships besides ours (X Equinox) in port, one RCCL and one Carnival. I looked at their websites and as far as I could tell, only Carnival offers the Rum Point tour - hopefully that means it won't be too busy but you never know. We're having a hard time deciding between Rum Point and Seven Mile - we want to avoid crowds, but if both will be crowded it doesn't seem worthwhile to trek all the way to Rum Point.

If you go to ANY of the regular excursion destinations - Royal Palms/Reef Grill; Seagrape/Public Beach/Calico Jacks; Tiki Beach or Rum Point you will have some crowds of fellow cruisers to deal with.

With only three ships in port Rum Point will PROBABLY be the least crowded, except you mentioned a Carnival cruise was in port the same day. One of the Carnival (forget which ship) excursions to Rum Point has a super hooky Survivor-like beach game with annoying guy on bull-horn directing flag waving drunkards to build boat and rescue their teammates. They also bring in their own speaker system and blast loud music for the entire point to "enjoy". They then repeat the game for the now even drunker contestants who were not part of the first round. Bitter? Yes I am, it ruined my visit.:mad:

When I was there on Monday I noticed a couple of new signs indicating "No Outside Music" - hadn't noticed those previously - might that be why?

They also bring in their own speaker system and blast loud music for the entire point to "enjoy". They then repeat the game for the now even drunker contestants who were not part of the first round. Bitter? Yes I am, it ruined my visit.:mad:

If you go to ANY of the regular excursion destinations - Royal Palms/Reef Grill; Seagrape/Public Beach/Calico Jacks; Tiki Beach or Rum Point you will have some crowds of fellow cruisers to deal with.

With only three ships in port Rum Point will PROBABLY be the least crowded, except you mentioned a Carnival cruise was in port the same day. One of the Carnival (forget which ship) excursions to Rum Point has a super hooky Survivor-like beach game with annoying guy on bull-horn directing flag waving drunkards to build boat and rescue their teammates. They also bring in their own speaker system and blast loud music for the entire point to "enjoy". They then repeat the game for the now even drunker contestants who were not part of the first round. Bitter? Yes I am, it ruined my visit.:mad:

Turtle, that sounds like my idea of h*ll. Maybe we'll just book a snorkel excursion and play it by ear on the beach - the last thing I want is to be stuck in a situation like that.

Archived