Australian Readers - Price difference AMA and APT.

Ozjohnno

Later this year we'll be booking our first European River Cruise probably between Amsterdam and Budapest. I addressed this to the Aussie readers because I believe that firstly APT is an Australian company that apparently uses AMA vessels and secondly the big difference in price. My preliminary reading of both company brochures shows that the cruises offered by APT and AMA are almost identical (they would be if APT sub-lets it's European cruises to AMA) but the price difference is enormous. When comparing identical cabin types on identical cruises (Amsterdam to Budapest) APT appear to be as much as $5000AU dearer than AMA after converting the AMA price from US to AU dollars. Has any Australian reader noticed this? When I asked online for brochures from both AMA and APT I received two copies of the APT brochure. Can Australians book AMA? or do we have to use APT? I thought I'd ask these questions through this board before confusing the heck out of our TA.

With all the great companies offering European River cruises this has just added to the confusion.

I think that you can book AMA in US $'s if you choose to.

Book directly with AMA and you will pay in US $'s what everyone else pays.

Booking directly with APT in Australian currency, you will probably be paying APT's preset conversion rate, US to Australian.

Being in Canada we get the same sort of deal when suppliers choose to convert the price into Canadian dollars.

Very often it's a better deal for us to book in US and let the credit card do the conversion.

(I hope that this sounded clear)

You were quite clear Tiggy and thanks but I think I'm the one who didn't express myself clearly. I'm not sure that I can book AMA through an Australian TA because of the APT factor so in the end if I want to use AMA I may have to book them online. Luckily I still have a quite a few months to go before I have to make the final booking decision.

I think that your TA should have no problem in booking directly with AMA.

TA's generally can book travel with any supplier around the world, as long as their office is registered with the supplier.

I wouldn't wait too long if you intend to book that itinerary with AMA for later this year.

The river cruises are selling quite well compared to last year and you might be disappointed with what you want.

It wouldn't hurt to look in to it now anyway.

Good luck.

I will add that Uniworld also is a fantastic line to do that itinerary with.

Alot of Aussies sail with them.

hi ozziejohn, interesting question. we are doing our 2nd cruise with avalon in may, great company, we are from oz too.

next month we are travelling with APT 3 week trip to nz. APT are a very good company, with premium products we feel.

not sure about the price differences but do know there were issues with oz travellers looking at discounted cruise products sold in us. oz travellers were not able to be sold some products apparently they could only be sold to either residents in us/canada with those passports.

please check with your travel agent for verification and be sure you are comparing apples with apples?

sometimes it can be difficult to do that because either the cabin/deck is different or the exchange rates or even the month of travel can be very different in price.

a lot of the so called lead in prices for example are for base rate cabins in the low season. for is ok if that what you want etc.

just a few thoughts. let us know how you get on.

regards.

I do understand what ozjohnno is getting at...

When my TA phoned AMA last year to ask about a Danube cruise, she was directed to contact the company that markets AMA in Canada (ie: GLP worldwide). AMA did not want to deal with her directly.

I wonder if AMA has come to an agreement with various companies - and they have to refer back to the "local" group for bookings...

I know that Uniworld will deal directly - even though Trafalgar still markets their river cruises in Canada - but perhaps AMA will not.

Thanks everyone for the great comments. We have loads of time as we're looking at Aug/Sep 2011 for our adventure but we realise we'll have to book mid this year to guarantee the cruise we want. My TA will have an answer for me I'm sure but it just seemed coincidental to me that APT use AMA boats but there are no hard copy AMA brochures available to look at down here. Using online brochures I just compared identical trips with both companies at around the same date using as a guide identical cabin categories and found that the price difference (using current exchange rates) to be much cheaper at AMA over APT.

No doubt this will be but a storm in a tea-cup and I'll have many more things to work out before we book. Again thanks for your input and if anyone else has advice I'm always open to help.

There is a lot of "smoke and mirrors" with the marketing of these European River cruises by various Australian Companies. Beware of offers with FREE Return Airfares , and free Cabin Upgrades. The airfares and upgrades are just built into the total package price. (There is no such thing as a free lunch !)

So one needs to be sure you are comparing apples with apples. (Viz: APT quote generally the cruise and allegedly free airfares; so the cost as you say will be higher than AMA quote which is just the cruise .)

APT charter entire departures from AMA Waterways and the ship is temporarily re-badged as APT right down to exterior decor, menus, flags and stationery .

Get your TA to book direct with AMA Waterways .

The AMA boats, staff and cruise food, accommodations, tours are beyond reproach.

We took the AMA cruise between Amsterdam and Budapest in October. There were many Australians onboard who were with APT. They told us that AMA and APT had merged, or possibly one had acquired the other, and that is why they sail the same ships. They also said that APT includes the gratuities in the fare but AMA doesn't so that may account for some of the price difference.

However you go, you'll have a great trip.

Archived