15 miles from Labadee !!!!

aprilfool

Read canuck's post from an adjoining thread:

All the dispute and opinions with respect to the appropriateness of RCI continuing to stop at Labadee should be put to rest. At today's conference in Montreal convened to determine how best to assist Haiti, this is the quote from Mr. Jean-Max Bellerive,

TOURISTS WELCOME IN HAITI, PM BELLERIVE SAYS

Tourists are more than welcome in Haiti, the more the better, Bellerive said.

There was criticism earlier from some well-meaning types that it was indecent for cruise ships to continue docking at Haitian resorts untouched by the killer earthquake and tourists to frolic on beaches their beaches.

For Bellerive, such concern is sadly misguided in that the tourists inject money into the shattered Haitian economy at a most critical time and show the world that not everything in the country is devastated.

“For me it’s a marvellous image," Bellerive said at Monday's intergovernmental conference on Haiti in Montreal. “It shows people still believe in Haiti. It’s extremely positive and reassuring.”

GO RCI!!

Very well said Pirate18!!:)

Here is an easy solution.......If your core beliefs and core values tell you its wrong to go to Labadee, change your itinerary. If it means that much to you, its a simple answer.

For the people who want feel that docking in Labadee supports the Haitian people and relief efforts, keep your itinerary, spend your money and enjoy whatever it is you choose to do.

For the people who do not have an opinion one way or another, keep your itinerary.

There is not a blanket answer for everyone like people here are trying to do. Some feel its wrong, some do not......It is something that happens everyday in life.

Each person needs to choose what is right FOR THEM AND THEIR FAMILIES. Imagine that...........

I have been following all the threads on Labadee and most people seemed to feel that RCCl was right to continue going to Labadee since it was far from the trouble at Port Au Prince.

Now that thousands are arriving 15 miles from Labadee with no food water or shelter does this change anyones thinking?

I am on the 1/30 sailing of the NOS and have been having conflicting emotions about our stop there before this information and now I really don't know if it is safe.

We were just there last Monday and I can't remember how many natives asked us to get the word out that if the cruise ships stop coming their families will starve. This is their living -- working for RCCL -- and they only work if and when a ship docks. No ships/no money! It's that simple. I realize some have suggested that RCCL just pay them and stay away but the RCCL ships bring supplies and water every time they dock. Food, hospital supplies, medicine and water were all aboard the NOS as we docked and have been on every ship that has docked there.

If it isn't safe you won't be allowed off the ship -- the decision will not be left up to you. When the strikes were going on a few years back RCCL did not dock for fear of any passengers being bothered or hurt.

Personally we took our "aid" with us. We tipped big and to everyone who we could identify as a native Haitian. They are so grateful!

It was very sad to see how many of our fellow passengers did the "no small bills" or "I don't speak English" dance to avoid tipping someone who carried 5 or 6 beach chairs to the shade of a tree for them, wiped off the sand and spread their towels out for them. I was embarrassed for the poor workers who had to stand around and wait while being ignored by the cheap cruisers who couldn't spare a buck or two! I heard one guy telling his wife about saving the tip later in perfect English after pretending not to speak English to the worker. How sad!

We were just there last Monday and I can't remember how many natives asked us to get the word out that if the cruise ships stop coming their families will starve. This is their living -- working for RCCL -- and they only work if and when a ship docks. No ships/no money! It's that simple. I realize some have suggested that RCCL just pay them and stay away but the RCCL ships bring supplies and water every time they dock. Food, hospital supplies, medicine and water were all aboard the NOS as we docked and have been on every ship that has docked there.

If it isn't safe you won't be allowed off the ship -- the decision will not be left up to you. When the strikes were going on a few years back RCCL did not dock for fear of any passengers being bothered or hurt.

Personally we took our "aid" with us. We tipped big and to everyone who we could identify as a native Haitian. They are so grateful!

It was very sad to see how many of our fellow passengers did the "no small bills" or "I don't speak English" dance to avoid tipping someone who carried 5 or 6 beach chairs to the shade of a tree for them, wiped off the sand and spread their towels out for them. I was embarrassed for the poor workers who had to stand around and wait while being ignored by the cheap cruisers who couldn't spare a buck or two! I heard one guy telling his wife about saving the tip later in perfect English after pretending not to speak English to the worker. How sad!

Thanks for the report fred. Looking forward to hearing about the rest of the cruise, but hearing how the Haitians feel is very important. Knowing that they want and need RCI there is the only thing that anyone should consider. Thanks for helping them out!

I just got off the Atlantis Liberty charter yesterday. We visited Labadee on Tuesday, Jan. 19. At breakfast that morning we talked with our Haitian waiter about the situation ashore. He was happy that RCI decided to keep the Labadee stops because it brings "much needed money to Haiti." After breakfast he was going ashore and would travel to see his family, who lives closer to Labadee than Port-au-Prince. He told us that it takes 12 hours by bus to get from Labadee to Port-au-Prince.

On the first night of the cruise, they had a comedy showcase in the main theater. Traditionally the president of the company (atlantis) welcomes us aboard during the first 10-15 minutes of the show and introduces the Atlantis staff on board for the week. This year he took the time to tell us about the situation in Haiti and the Labadee port. He described all that RCI was doing and what kinds of supplies were being ferried from Miami to Labadee, but also how much the people of Haiti need our help He told us the results of the presidential suite auction, it went for $20K- all of that went to the International Red Cross's Haiti fund.

With the cruise compass we received a list of international aid organizations on the ground working in Haiti and were strongly encouraged to contribute to them. The three gay charter companies, Atlantis, RSVP and Olivia, established an LGBT fund for Haitian relief, by day five of the cruise the companies' customers had raised $250K.

The night before we called on Labadee the two cruise directors (RCI and Atlantis) let us know that all excursion proceeds from the Labadee call would be donated to the earthquake relief effort. The port fees would of course continue to go to the government, which I know is one of the few sources of income for Haiti. They also stressed that the people who live near Labadee depend on RCI visitors, they work at the resort when a ship stops there. These people were not affected by the earthquake, but their livelihood depends on RCI customers. This statement echoed what our waiter told us. There was lots of buzz on board about the Labadee stop. When we were there, it was great to see how many people were tipping generously and visiting the local market. Guys were buying gifts and I got the idea that no one was bargaining much. Unlike previous trips where i heard people complain about the Haitian market in Labadee, I did not hear a negative remark about the place.

I know some of you are quite critical of those of us who decided to keep our plans and visit Labadee. After my experience there, I know I made the right choice.

Thanks Steve. I was looking forward to hearing your account. It sounds like it was an eventful cruise, and thank you for helping them as well. I don't think any of us are in a position to be critical of your helping out. They clearly want and need our help.

As old as I've become become........frankly, have never encountered such a selfish and ice cold bunch of people ....

This is your own opinion of course, BUT I did look through your past posts....and frankly who is calling the kettle black.

We have not been following this thread/board, because we have not cruised with RCI for a few years, but an e-mail from the RCI President today prompted me to come here to express our views on the subject.

We say "Hats Off" to RCI for their continued visitation of Labadee. Having witnessed the tragedy in Samoa last fall after the earthquake there, we are thankful that we could contribute to the islands of Western and American Samoa in some small way just by "being there."

We were in Apia and Pago Pago just days after the earthquake and ensuing tsunami while cruising on Star Princess. The ship collected a significant amount of money volunteered by crew and passengers as well as Princess Cruise Lines. Our ship welcomed Red Cross volunteer workers from shore to come aboard for showers and food as well as providing other supplies. We applaud Princess for their generosity just as we now applaud RCI for their contribution to the people of Haiti.

There were some passengers who did not get off our ship in Samoa. We were glad that we did get off and could contribute to their economy in some small way. Our guides had lost loved ones just days before our arrival, yet they were smiling, welcoming, and had that "we shall overcome " attitude. The resilience of these people was amazing, and in some ways we felt fortunate to be able to help even though in a tiny way.

If your ship stops in Labadee, I hope you will feel in many ways fortunate to be able to contribute to these people. I bet they will be happy to see you. I think you will find it a humbling experience.

I just wanted to mention, I have been working with the Haiti Relief Airlift and we have been swamped with supplies and cargo. RCCL has stepped up and to date has shipped 1.2 MILLION pounds of relief supplies into Labadee and counting. They have been a huge help in getting supplies into the country.

Yup, I don't know how accurate it is, or who he spoke with... but that's what he told me.

Well just post it not matter how inaccurate it might be.:eek: Others will read it and quote it on other threads and to friends and relatives and it will stir up a big mess. (Unless you know something is fact -- please don't put it out here. This is not a thread for conjecture ... like most are... let's keep it real.)

I just wanted to mention, I have been working with the Haiti Relief Airlift and we have been swamped with supplies and cargo. RCCL has stepped up and to date has shipped 1.2 MILLION pounds of relief supplies into Labadee and counting. They have been a huge help in getting supplies into the country.

How is transportation from Labadee to the south going?

For everyone who writes that it's unseemly or wrong or whatever negative thought for cruisers to enjoy Labadee, relax on the beach, sip a frozen drink, and so forth now:

If it's unseemly or wrong now, then it was unseemly and wrong before the earthquake. There are many comments about how it's horrible for tourists to be tourists while so many people have died, so many are suffering, and so much has been destroyed. Well, the fact is that Haiti wasn't exactly a paradise before now. If you think it's so horrible for RCI to stop at Labadee now, then I'm sure you never booked a cruise that stopped there in the past. Or did you never think about it before now. There has been suffering, poverty, crime, lack of supplies, corrupt government, etc. long before this horrible earthquake caused more devastation. I wonder how many hypocrites enjoyed Labadee pre-earthquake, but are offended that RCI stops there now?

I loathe hypocrisy.

beachchick

Archived