Neets Bay Bear Cruise

Ratdoggie

Has anyone done the Neets Bay Bear Cruise out of Ketchikan? This is by boat not floatplane...we will be going the first week of August.

I know bears cannot be guaranteed, but if I see only one I'll be happy. I mainly want to know what others' experiences have been on this excursion and if they would recommend it even if we don't see bears.

PS...I know we would be likely to see bigger (brown) bears by taking a float plane, but I have a bit of a small plane phobia. And even though I would dearly love to see a bear I'm a bit skittish and would much rather see one from the water than on land which is why this particular excursion appeals to me...especially since I would be the slowest runner in the group!

My husband and I took it before and to be perfectly honest, it was a waste of $199/person. All we did was get on a fast speed boat, took it to where they have a fishery and saw nothing but 1 sea lion (not even two). We were extremely disappointed and although they do not guarantee we would see bears, it would of been nice to see a little more then 1 sea lion.

If you really want to have a good chance at seeing bears then you MUST take a float plane tour. It is a little more costly but at least not a waste of $199/person.

This is a poor choice, if you want to see bears, and has been posted as such for many seasons out of Ketchikan. Neets Bay bears are attracted to the hatchery. The boat doesn't get any where near the viewing platform, that the walk ins get to. At "best" you are parked on the water, WAY off.

Archived