Just back from a week in Saint Maarten ...

2serendip

We were at a timeshare all last week at Maho Beach just across the sand from the Sunset Bar. If anyone wants some current info, please ask. I want to thank all the people who answered my questions for the weeks before we left. It was very helpful. We did these activities: the all-day Golden Eagle catamaran trip, the Americas Cup Race, the Sand Dollar half-day snorkel, trip and the Pub Crawl (save your money, don't do this one!) We also ate at some very good and not so good restaurants. One of our best meals was at the Boat, a little trailer and picnic tables on the street across the sand from the Sunset Bar. Enjoy!

How was the America's Cup Regatta race, worth doing?? We were originally planning on just shopping/lunching in town that day while in port. We will be there only 1 day from a cruise ship. How was the Catamaran trip? We will be doing a snorkel/sailing charter while in St. Thomas.

Definitely interested in your input regarding spending time in St. Martin.

Thanks in advance!:)

We were at a timeshare all last week at Maho Beach just across the sand from the Sunset Bar. If anyone wants some current info, please ask. I want to thank all the people who answered my questions for the weeks before we left. It was very helpful. We did these activities: the all-day Golden Eagle catamaran trip, the Americas Cup Race, the Sand Dollar half-day snorkel, trip and the Pub Crawl (save your money, don't do this one!) We also ate at some very good and not so good restaurants. One of our best meals was at the Boat, a little trailer and picnic tables on the street across the sand from the Sunset Bar. Enjoy!

We loved the catamaran trip, but it may be too long for your day in port. It goes from 9:30 till about 4:30, and most of the people were staying on the island. It was on the Golden Eagle (which seems to have a chain of catamarans throughout the Caribbean). We love to snorkel, and we've really enjoyed both the half-days when we're cruising as well as this full-day trip. You might check to see if your cruise is offering a half-day. You can check the Golden Eagle website for times and itineraries.

I enjoyed the Golden Eagle catamaran more than the Americas Cup, but the AC was fun, too. We were given about 1/2 hour of history and sailing instruction before being taxied out to the ships. We were assigned various duties. I asked for something that was medium-active and was assigned to be bartender which involved handing out water bottles when the crew rested. The race was exciting and lasted maybe about 40 minutes. My husband, who had an active job, said that he was sorry he was so busy crewing that he really couldn't keep track of where we were or how the "race" was progressing. I'd definitely do it again so long as I could be bartender or timer and then enjoy the race more.

We also enjoyed the Sand Dollar snorkel for 4 hours. It's far more basic than Golden Eagle. Both trips go to Creole Rock which evidently has the best snorkeling on the island. The snorkeling was good but not excellent since there's almost no coral. But you do get to see a lot of fish.

Archived