Men's Dress Code & Excursions in the Med

I notice that formal dress is required for the Captain's Dinner Evening. My husband refuses to wear a tux. Would a smart blazer, dark trouser slacks and shirt and tie be acceptable ?

Also what is the approximate cost of excursions and is it cheaper to book your own, or book on the ship?

I notice that formal dress is required for the Captain's Dinner Evening. My husband refuses to wear a tux. Would a smart blazer, dark trouser slacks and shirt and tie be acceptable ?

The majority will wear a tux, but a smart blazer, dark trouser slacks and shirt and tie would be acceptable and not cause any problems in the main restaurant. If he does not wish to dress up at all, the Lido restaurant is a good alternative.

The rest of the week around the ship is just short sleeve shirt and trousers for us guys and is very relaxed and informal

Have a good cruise :-)

Also what is the approximate cost of excursions and is it cheaper to book your own, or book on the ship?

Yes quite acceptable, about 50 % wear something like that.

On the whole Thomson's tours are fairly priced and just about value for money, given that DIY sometimes works out dearer, and certainly not as informative. On any long tours or visits to places of interest than ships are the safest if something goes wrong.

Local tour by HOHO buses are ideal for a quick look around.

Hi,

We've done the dressing up and we'll be in the buffet on formal night. Leaves more room in the case too for proper holiday clothes.

We find the cost of the excursions, as Tenpin says, very reasonable compared to the U.S. cruise lines. For example we did an excursion from Alexandria to Cairo for the pyramids with Royal Caribbean and it cost £120 each compared to £75 with Thomson's.

Berwyn

Thanks for the advice. I know that some men might enjoy going the whole hog and dressing up in a tux but my old man would simply hate it and never wear it again so a complete waste of money (although secretly I think men look lovely in them), so at least if he can wear a smart jacket and tie it is something he will get use out of again. :)

Sounds like the excursions offered by Thomsons might be the way to go. Was looking at other private companies but they are not cheap and presumably you would not get the door to door (or rather ship to ship) service with them that you would get with Thomsons either so we will wait for them to be released by Thomsons and then plan.

Can't wait !:)

Sounds like the excursions offered by Thomsons might be the way to go. Was looking at other private companies but they are not cheap and presumably you would not get the door to door (or rather ship to ship) service with them that you would get with Thomsons either so we will wait for them to be released by Thomsons and then plan.

Can't wait !:)

Hi,

I priced one up for Madeira from a local operator that was recommended on here. The price was only slightly cheaper than the ship for the same excursion and we'd have had to pay extra for the cable car that was included in the ship's.

The only advantage we'd have had is that we'd have had a smaller group than the big tour bus.

Berwyn

If you go on the Thomsons website and click on Cruises, then Ports of Call, then click on your destination(s) you will find a list of excursions and their prices. This is really helpful with planning your holiday, although you can't book on-line yet. I believe this is coming soon.

If you go on the Thomsons website and click on Cruises, then Ports of Call, then click on your destination(s) you will find a list of excursions and their prices. This is really helpful with planning your holiday, although you can't book on-line yet. I believe this is coming soon.

Yes it still says "coming soon". They can do it for hotel holidays though.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, we did our first cruise two years ago to celebrate our Silver Wedding Anniversary & we also arranged to renew our vows on the ship. I'm afraid I "made" my OH get a Tux and I wore an evening gown, as I wanted it to be special. Well it was fabulous & now he loves to dress up in his Tux & I think he looks lovely!

By the way it came from "George" at Asda & cost about £60 but you'd NEVER know!!!

:cool:

Previous cruises

Emerald Princess February 2008 Silver Wedding. Southern Caribean Medley

RCI Navigator of the Seas July 2009 Eastern Med

Hi Tabatha,

I tried one of those on, very nice I thought it was too. (For a man who's not into dressing up). But after I showed DW and she got up from ROFL ing, I didn't bother.

And for the money and times you'd wear it excellent value. And unless someone grabbed your collar to see the label, as you said no one would know.

As it was Eastern Med in the summer I got a lightweight suit in the BHS sale for £55 :)

Berwyn

The good thing about going on Thomson's tours is that if you are delayed, the ship will wait for you. If you go independently if you are late back - well it's tough you will get left. We were in Florence a few years ago, on an official coach and no-one had realised it was a Bank Holiday!!! We were the first coach back and we were 2 hours late!!! The captain was at the tender port, along with the 1st officer and they were doing their nut!!! I think we eventually left about 5 hours late! :eek:

Archived