Suitable formal wear?

BugsMomma

I'm trying to picture it... and I think it would look kind of weird. IMHO it would be better to wear something "smart casual" than a Princess dress, if you don't want to buy a special "formal" dress. But then again, maybe it depends on the cruise line!

Does anyone really pay attention to what tiny kids are wearing..except, perhaps, their doting parents and grandparents?

For that matter -- unless some adults "costume" is particularly outlandish, does anyone really pay attention there, either, even in the "traditional" dining situations???

I guess I do pay attention... I definitely noticed what all the other kids were wearing on my last cruise, and if I had seen a princess costume I would have thought it out of place. Maybe I pay more attention because I have two toddlers myself.

That said, I don't think they'll get kicked out of the MDR for it, and it's really what she feels comfortable with, right? I also think the cruise line and itinerary would influence how odd/out-of-place it would seem to me. She asked whether it's suitable... IMHO it's not, but that's just my own personal opinion.

Apart from quality, I'm not certain I could tell the difference between some of the toddler formal dresses I've seen and "costumes".

The fabric and construction of a run-of-the-mill Halloween type costume and a true dress may make the costume inappropriate. I will admit to agreeing to let my DD wear one of her dance recital costumes (which was a knee length taffetta with a stiff crinoline (sp??) and very nice (this was when she was about 5).

I've never had a problem finding a reasonably priced dressy-dress (nor have I had a problem with letting my DD use it for dress-up play afterward)

PS - I'd steer away from the plastic play heels at any rate :)

More and more men are dressing casually these days. Still, this does not mean you should not have at least one pair of great mens dress shoes in your wardrobe. Even if you prefer wearing a t-shirt under your suit instead of the traditional formal shirt and tie, you still have to pay attention to the kind of shoes you wear.

Does anyone really pay attention to what tiny kids are wearing..except, perhaps, their doting parents and grandparents?

For that matter -- unless some adults "costume" is particularly outlandish, does anyone really pay attention there, either, even in the "traditional" dining situations???

I love to see little ones dressed up. I always look and I always compliment them. Its part of the enjoyment of the night for me and I'm sure many others. Just because you don't enjoy it .....

I love to see little ones dressed up. I always look and I always compliment them. Its part of the enjoyment of the night for me and I'm sure many others. Just because you don't enjoy it .....

I didn't SAY "I don't enjoy it". In fact, I said it would be CUTE. It's just not high on my radar to criticize a child who wants to wear her princess dress, whether it be a costume or a "dress".

Archived