No car rental in Costa Maya?

zachnlucy

We will be there on the RCCL Grandeur in April, and just wanted to rent a car and explore on our own. Is there nothing available? What about buses? Do they go up and down the coast road? Does anyone know what a cab would cost for 4 persons for about 6 hours?

When we were there in Dec, there was nothing set up for car rental, nor were there any buses. Right behind the stores at the 'resort' at the pier there are vans that take you into Mahajual - 3.00 per person, buy a ticket at the stand behind the purple (I think) building. Once you get into Mahajual, I believe that you go to the taxi stand - you won't miss it just look for the yellow cabs and talk to the person at that ticket counter about getting a cab and driver for the day. Two people in our group did it - they got 4 hours for 55.00 each. They went to Chacchoben, but they did tell me it was a pretty wild ride there and back! One of them is coming for supper tonight, I can find out from him where exactly they found their cab from, but I do know it was in Mahajaul itself.

You might also want to try the private guide/car route from

http://www.chacchobenruins.com

It seems there's a new place where you can rent a car in downtown Majahual. I've been told that they have one or two good cars, not necessarily new. When I get more details I'll post them for everyone interested.

Taxis may be a good option, but it would be a little hard to negotiate with them. They have their routes already set and aren't to flexible about last minute changes on your itinerary. Also consider that communication with your driver wouldn't be effective because only a few drivers can speak English.

The vans at the terminal are the same thing and are more expensive.

Buses?, definitely not.

Now you are making us laugh. Imagine going 40 miles in a cart that goes at a maximum of 15 mph (30kmh) with a gas tank range of probably 40 miles(and then there is no gas station there to fill up your cart). On a serious note do not contemplate this journey. Take a Taxi or a van. This way you will not have to stay for another week waiting for the next ship back home.

We will be there on the RCCL Grandeur in April, and just wanted to rent a car and explore on our own. Is there nothing available? What about buses? Do they go up and down the coast road? Does anyone know what a cab would cost for 4 persons for about 6 hours?

Hello..just wanted to let you know that I did find a site for car rental in

costa maya actually you would need to get the ride from the pier into

the fisherman town of Mahauhual and there seems to be a small locally

owned place I only found this info so I have no idea about

the operation maybe nitro can help with this, This is there web page

I am not affliated just another cruiser who is also going to Costa maya

and trying to figure out what I want to so here is the site http://www.mayanbeachgarden.com/Tucan/Tucandecostamaya.htm

I hope I am allowed to post it as It wasn't too easy to find out about

it seems they only have maybe 4 cars at least that is the impression

I got but there is a email address If you really want to rent a car

• 2 weeks later...

We will try and keep her pretty...there are quite a few of us going from Boston, but we will make sure she is still shining when we leave.

Have you been on Grandeur before? We have cruised her sister ship Enchantment (1998) and Explorer (2001) but it's been a while since we have cruised...we are really looking forward to it!

NannyJan

Archived