FINALLY independent tours to Chacchoben!

Lynda S

Just to follow up what Webbie says. It's a shame that transportation is controlled by only one company at the port. Practically, tourists are in their hands. Just imagine, what would happen if they decided to charge $5 or more per person instead of the $3 they charge now?, would tourists have another choice?, sure no!!. The truth is that transportation is only one of the many things that are controlled by the people from the port. Definitely, I encourage all people to leave the commercial complex and go to mahahual.

Very well done by Ivan and David!

• 2 weeks later...

We did the ruins tour last week while on the Splendour. Ivan met us in Majuhual and introduced us to David who was to be our guide. I can't say enough good things about this tour. David was wonderful! He knows absolutely everything about Mayan culture, history and ruins. He and Ivan grew up in the area and he can answer any questions yow might have. This is so much better than the huge bus groups the cruiseline takes. It also gives you the opportunity to see Majuhual and spend some time there at the end of your tour.

zachnlucy and daveinct,

Why haven't you told me about this tour on our Meet & Mingle thread? This sounds great! I've been looking for something to do in Costa Maya. I'm going to send out this information to our group and see who wants to do it!

Matt, can you tell me a little more about the tour? We are reserved for it in April.

We just returned from Costa Maya 2/7, and the highlight was the Chacchoben Ruins tour with David and Ivan. Locals from Chacchoben, David and Ivan are not only experts in the Mayan culture and history, they also are experts in the plant and animal life in the area. They were so accomodating and friendly. You're in good hands with these guys, definitely dont book through the cruise line, unless your looking to be herded into a tour bus, pay too much, and not get any of the local flavor of this beautiful place.

Matt

We agree completely.

Just did the same tour with Ivan and David on 2/7. They are experts in the local culture as well as the plant and animal life of the area. If you book this tour you will not be disapointed. If you have extra time ask them to make a stop at the Monkey Farm, great place to visit either on the way to or back from the ruins.

Matt

Archived