Spin classes and bike shoes on the Equinox... Anyone know?

Scrapchick

I'm going on the Equinox on March 29 and was wondering if the spin bikes have bike clips on them for spd style bike shoes. How are the classes?

Also, the X website refer to virtual reality bikes in the gym... Any idea what those are like?

Does anyone have any pictures of the gym they can share?

Thanks!

I'm going on the Equinox on March 29 and was wondering if the spin bikes have bike clips on them for spd style bike shoes. How are the classes?

Also, the X website refer to virtual reality bikes in the gym... Any idea what those are like?

Does anyone have any pictures of the gym they can share?

Thanks!

I didn't end up taking a spin class on Equinox but I looked into it. They were a bit pricey I felt, either $10 or $15 each. The bikes were brand dnew and of good quality. I didn't specifically look at the pedals but I would bet they are the standard spin pedals with SPD clips.

As for 'virtual reality', not sure. My local gym has a spin bike with a huge monitor on it that does the same thing as a spin instructor, it is pretty cool actually. It's very similar to a Computrainer if you are familiar with that.

The gym itself is nice, lots of cardio stuff, the typical weight machines, and dumbbells that went to 75lbs. No bars and weightplates though. Probably not as extensive as your local gym but very nice all in all.

My husband is a keen cyclist and confirms that the spin bikes on Equinox have standard pedals as the majority of folks using them have gym shoes.

He doesnt know of any cruise ship spin bikes that have cleated pedals.

The only ship we have been on which has the virtual bikes (Trixters) was the UK based P&O Ventura.

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting this thread hoping that someone who has been on Equinox lately can tell me if they are still offering spin classes. Do you sign up for them in advance? I'm assuming there is a fee.

Would love to switch up my workout while on our cruise and hubby and I enjoy going to spin classes together.

You sign up in advance and there will be limited availability because there will only be a few times offered. The spin bikes are essentially locked up the rest of the time.

Does "in advance" mean somehow before my cruise or when we first board? And where do we do that?

The spin bike have reversible pedals, cages on one side and SPD clips on the other, this was on Solstice. The classes fill up so sign up early in the cruise. If you are a regular cyclist/spinner you will find the classes tame as they are geared to the less experienced in the group of which there are many. But as you know you can spin as hard and fast as you want ! Enjoy

Thanks, Abbafan! I'll plan to do that.

Would do it first thing to be sure - but on Europe cruises might not be as important to get there right away. We had a very small class - but it might just have been that particular cruises demographics. Instructor said they fill up and wait list in the Caribbean.

Archived