Gurantee Cabin

ybarber

We just booked a VH GTY on the Westerdam 14 Day B2B on 2/28 - and for the first time booked a GTY. We will be okay with whatever we get, are hoping for a glass railing, but wonder when the usually assign the Guarantees? Will we know before we get to the pier? Will they send us notification? Has anyone ever booked a GTY this late in the game and been disappointed? I don't think I will be too upset even with a steel railing, since any day cruising is better than anyday at work, but just wondering what others have experienced. I look forward to your advice and experiences - thanks CC'ers!

We did the VH Guarantee on the Eurodam and ended up with a wonderful VC cabin. It was a chance we were willing to take as well as we didn't think we would be unhappy with anything we were assigned. We found out our cabin only about 1wk from the cruise date.

I am sailing on the Westerdam Feb. 7 for two weeks, and did an MM gty (sailing solo). Just got my cabin assignment overnight Thursday. I got K1116, which represents a 3 category upgrade. And it is just where I hoped to be. I think it must be a night mare for the HAL people to assign cabins for the B2B people...since some of our cruisers are boarding the week before us and staying 14 days, others boarding 2/14 for 14 days...What a puzzle it must be! EM

... but wonder when the usually assign the Guarantees? Will we know before we get to the pier? Will they send us notification?
For single cruises (not b2b) assignments are done anywhere from 21 days to 0 days before sailing, with the peak appearing to be about 10 days out. You will only get a notification by email from HAL if you booked direct with them. If you booked with a TA, some of them will send you a notification but others will not.
Has anyone ever booked a GTY this late in the game and been disappointed?
I know one couple who booked late and got just what they booked. I think they were disappointed ... but shouldn't have been IMO! :)

We booked a guarantee on HAL and won't ever do it again, on any ship.

We got the category we paid for (no upgrades) which is not a problem.

What was a problem was the location of our cabin....right at the hallway by the elevators. And it was noisy at night and in the morning. Never again!

I like to choose my cabin....I pick a category that puts us under cabins and over cabins....and several cabins away from the stairs/elevators

We booked a guarantee on HAL and won't ever do it again, on any ship.

I like to choose my cabin....I pick a category that puts us under cabins and over cabins....and several cabins away from the stairs/elevators

Be sure to specify Do Not Upgrade when you book, or HAL may move you anyway.

I understand your position, but we like doing guarantees. We are currently holding our 8th. We have gotten upgrades on all the previous GTYs (thus saving us $ that it would have cost to book the higher cabin) and only once were we unhappy with the location.

Ironically, once when we picked a specific cabin and failed to say DNU, HAL moved us to another, and that was the worst location we've ever had on a ship!

We have booked a guarantee for the last 4 cruises and have not been disappointed. We generally find out 2 - 3 weeks before the cruise. I log on to the website for HAL like you do when you do the pre-boarding stuff. For a while it will show GTY on your room. Then magically, one day you will see your room assignment.

We booked a cruise with an assigned cabin and stayed on with a guarantee for the repositioning cruise to follow. We did not get the cabin assignment for phase II until we were onboard for a couple of days.

Gary

Be sure to specify Do Not Upgrade when you book, or HAL may move you anyway.

I understand your position, but we like doing guarantees. We are currently holding our 8th. We have gotten upgrades on all the previous GTYs (thus saving us $ that it would have cost to book the higher cabin) and only once were we unhappy with the location.

Ironically, once when we picked a specific cabin and failed to say DNU, HAL moved us to another, and that was the worst location we've ever had on a ship!

Interesting...never dawned on me to specify that I didn't want to be upgraded. I'll have to remember that for next time. Thanks!

Last year I booked an Alaskan cruise less in late April for a May cruise and took a VH guarantee. Was upgraded to a VC and notified within a week or two of departure. One time we didn't find out our cabin number until a few days before the cruise. On another Alaskan cruise we booked a specific oceanview cabin about six weeks before the cruise and when we checked in at the pier were told we had been upgraded to a VA - seven category upgrade and five decks up. It was a shock since we never thought we'd be moved from a specific cabin. It just depends! We tend to do a lot of last minute bookings mostly because of work schedules.

Archived