Tuxedo or ivory dinner jacket with coloured bow tie?

mynyddisamrs

My "other half" has his tuxedo ready and waiting for our cruise. He's also got an ivory coloured evening jacket which I see from another CC fashion thread is sometimes worn on formal nights.Hopefully he won't be the only one wearing this type.

Question is..... would it be the "done thing" to wear a coloured bow tie

ie. maroon or gold with either of these outfits or should he stick to boring black?

I also have seen (many times) and like the white (winter white) dinner jacket with the red bow tie.

My husband takes both his tux and dinner jacket on a cruise - I don't wear the same thing to each formal night so why should he?

On one back to back cruise with 6 formal nights at Thanksgiving time, he took 6 different ties/vest combinations. One night he wore his dinner jacket with an apple red vest and tie and I wore an apple red formal dress. We had a formal picture taken on the atrium stairs that were decorated with red and white pointsettias. It made a beautiful Christmas picture. He also wears his charcoal grey vest and tie with both his tux and dinner jacket and it looks great with both.

Question is..... would it be the "done thing" to wear a coloured bow tie ie. maroon or gold with either of these outfits or should he stick to boring black?

Please, no...

There are ways to look new, different and stylish in menswear - but a colored bow tie with a classic Ivory Dinner Jacket is not one of them.

It's not stylish, it's good for a 16 year old's prom.

For the Ivory Dinner Jacket, please just stick to the classic Black Bow Tie.

If you want to put a spot of color, and look a little more fashion forward - then a nice (folded flat across) pocket square will do the trick.

TracyMorgan.jpg

That's about as far as you can take it, and make it work.

When you are talking a Classic Black Dinner Jacket (Tuxedo), then you have more room to play.

Personally, I think putting the color in a vest is infinitely better looking than putting the color in a tie and/or cummerbund.

If you're bored with black or white, then he should get a new tuxedo in midnight blue, or charcoal gray.

Other than that, it's classiest to use only a vest, pocket square, or a boutonniere.

Bear in mind, I'm one who likes to push the boundaries - but you've got to know what you're doing, how much to do, and when to do it.:cool:

Please, no...

There are ways to look new, different and stylish in menswear - but a colored bow tie with a classic Ivory Dinner Jacket is not one of them.

It's not stylish, it's good for a 16 year old's prom.

For the Ivory Dinner Jacket, please just stick to the classic Black Bow Tie.

If you want to put a spot of color, and look a little more fashion forward - then a nice (folded flat across) pocket square will do the trick.

That's about as far as you can take it, and make it work.................

Thank you, thank you.:)

It's not just about wearing what someone wants. There are certain conventions of dress that ya' just don't mess with and this is one. Please don't make Bogie turn over in his grave.;)

Archived