Day Trip from Venice

swcruise

Hello,

We are sailing out of Venice mid May and are spending time in the city before our cruise. One of the things we are considering is a day trip to either Padua or Trieste by train. I am about to do some online research, but would very much welcome the input from people who have visited, any feedback you may have and any preferences for one v's the other

Looking forward to your replies.

Kind Regards,

S

We spent a wonderful day in Padua during a five-day visit to Venice three years ago. The train ride was about 35 minutes, I believe, and it was a fantastic day, particularly for an art fan. Rick Steves' Venice guidebook has wonderful practical information for spending your day there.

The most important thing to do there is visit the Scrovegni Chapel with amazing frescos by Giotto, so ahead of his time. It it limited entry so you need to book your ticket and time in advance. We also visited the church where St. Anthony is buried and is still very venerated with many daily visitors, the outdoor fruit/vegetable market, and the museum near the Scorvegni Chapel. If we had had more time, we also would have visited the ancient medical operating theatre at the University of Padua.

We have not visited Trieste.

This spring, on our three-day visit to Venice pre-cruise, we will go to Verona for the day, a second destination close by train and easily reachable from Venice.

The travel time alone is a major reason to prefer Padua if you do want to leave Venice at all.

While I visited Trieste on a land tour and found it interesting enough, I would not regard it as worth the time to go from Venice.

As I posted elsewhere, I can also recommend the town of Vicenza, just beyond Padua and before Verona. All three towns are beautiful and have their particular attractions. Vicenza is known for its architectual variety and the opera. It's about 45 mins from Venice by train. Check it out.

I've visited Trieste, and as port towns go it is very nice with a restored seaside and beautiful buildings on the Adriatic. We had some great food there as well. Mind the transit time (by train, minimum time 1-1/2 hours via Mestre.

There's so much to see in Venice, though; it's well worth spending your time there.

I love Venice! The last time I visited for a week and spent ONE day outside the city. I took a great tour to the Hill Towns of the Veneto. We went to several towns, saw a Palladian Villa, tasted prosecco at a winery, visited Bassano del Grappa(where they make grappa so you can taste that too). It was a great day and only 8 people can be on the tour. This is the web site:

http://www.tours-italy.com/venice-day_trips-hill_towns_of_veneto.htm

Thank you all for your replies, it has given me much to think about. I have decided to rule out Trieste as from yout replies the distance sounds too far.

Cintipam: Your day in Padua sounds just what we might be looking for and I know my folks would enjoy a visit to the Church where St Anthony lies. I think he is the saint for lost items and my mother regularily promises him donations to find things that are misplaced.....

Everybody on this site raves about Rick Steeves, so I must check that out. How do his guidebooks compare to the Dorling Kindersley (DK) travel guides ?

YrmaninRomeI hadn't thought about Vicenza so i wil look into that as well

Riftsea: The hilltowns of Veneto sounds good too, but we may prefer to do a DIY trip for our day out.

Once again, thanks to all

S

Cintipam: Your day in Padua sounds just what we might be looking for and I know my folks would enjoy a visit to the Church where St Anthony lies. I think he is the saint for lost items and my mother regularily promises him donations to find things that are misplaced.....

Everybody on this site raves about Rick Steeves, so I must check that out. How do his guidebooks compare to the Dorling Kindersley (DK) travel guides ?

The church then will be an excellent stop for you. The ongoing veneration of the saint was very touching to observe.

The DK books to me are great for a good overview. The Rick Steves' books are very detailed. They provide great practical information (bus stop numbers and locations, for example), and also excellent walking tours for cities. However, IMO, the best information are the one-hour walking tours he provides of many major attractions, particularly art museums. With his books, you do not need to purchase additional pamphlets on site.

His books particularly are good for Italy. For example, he has one just on Venice with day trip information as well, which, including extensive information for day trips to Padua, Verona, Vicenza and even Ravenna (which is pretty far for one day).

Enjoy your trip!

I am not a Rick Steves follower. He is just not for me.

I read a lot of guide books but the only ones I have taken with me in Italy are the DK Top10 Eyewitness Guides.

These are small , well thought out books with good maps.

The ones for Venice and Rome have been very useful!

Archived