Southampton to Heathrow and whirlwind tour of London?

bluenoser2

Before I start, I know you will want to tell me to spend more time in London since we've never been. We can't - we have to get back for our son's graduation! But, at the end of our cruise, we will disembark in Southampton. My husband would like to get a transfer to Heathrow, and then get to a hotel near the airport - any thoughts on the most budget-friendly option there? Is the "Hotel Hoppa" the way to go as far as getting us and our luggage to the hotel - it would be morning - would we be able to check in that early? Our hope is to be able to leave our luggage at whatever hotel we end up with, and find our way in to London to do a very fast tour that day, as our flight leaves out of Heathrow at 10:00 a.m. the next morning. What's the best way to get into London from an airport hotel? Is the HOHO bus in London a good way for us to see a taste of London? Thank you for all your help - I'm feeling a little overwhelmed (in a good way) at this point of the planning!

Before I start, I know you will want to tell me to spend more time in London since we've never been. We can't - we have to get back for our son's graduation! But, at the end of our cruise, we will disembark in Southampton. My husband would like to get a transfer to Heathrow, and then get to a hotel near the airport - any thoughts on the most budget-friendly option there? Is the "Hotel Hoppa" the way to go as far as getting us and our luggage to the hotel - it would be morning - would we be able to check in that early? Our hope is to be able to leave our luggage at whatever hotel we end up with, and find our way in to London to do a very fast tour that day, as our flight leaves out of Heathrow at 10:00 a.m. the next morning. What's the best way to get into London from an airport hotel? Is the HOHO bus in London a good way for us to see a taste of London? Thank you for all your help - I'm feeling a little overwhelmed (in a good way) at this point of the planning!

London deserves lots more time, BUT some experiences in the afternoon and evening are better than none at all. On what's best, it depends on your budget flexibility and what you most like see and do. Tell us more! Museums, history, musicals, shopping? With more budget, you can see and do more in a time-efficient manner. Go to this posting on these boards to get more ideas and specific suggestion on your many, many options in this great city of London. Check out:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1118201

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

If it's London that you want to see then why stay out at Heathrow?

It will be easy to get into the city centre from the port and you will be ready to hit the town immediately after checking into your hotel.

I would choose a hotel with the intention of catching the Heathrow Express from Paddington early next morning. It takes 15 mins and trains leave every 15 mins. You may even be able to check in at the station.

http://www.heathrowexpress.com/Home

If you are leaving at the weekend, coach or minibus may be an option. As you will probably be leaving for the airport before 6.00am it will probably be ok either by road or rail.

There are lots of threads on this board about transport to London, to the port, hotels and sight seeing in London.

Enjoy your visit, I always find the HOHO buses good when you have limited time somewhere

Here's a sample on some of the key visuals highlights for what you can enjoy in London.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

At the National Gallery on Trafalgar Square, they have spectacular rooms, architecture and art works. Admission is free!:

LondNatGallery.jpg

Harrod's unique Food Hall has lots to see and eat:

HarrodsFoodH.jpg

At Sloane Square, people dining and the double-decker bus:

SloaneSqDining.jpg

Covent Garden Market and its activities:

CoventGarden.jpg

From the London "Eye" wheel, it offers great views of the key sights and sites:

LondonEyeView.jpg

Harrods has unqiue interior displays and designs:

LondHarrInterior.jpg

If you're set on staying at Heathrow, check out the Jury's Inn. It is in the free bus zone, so you won't have to use the overpriced Hotel Hoppa to get to or from the airport. The underground station is an easy two block walk from the hotel so it's relatively easy to get into the city from the hotel.

J

Thank you Terry for understanding that some experiences in the afternoon and evening are better than none at all.

Knowing that our time is limited, I think we just want to have the experience of being there, even for a short time. We're not big into organized tours or museums, though as I write that I can think of a few museums in London I would love to see, with more time! I know it's a place we're going to want to come back to. No musicals or theatre this trip, but photo ops and getting to walk around and sight-see. I loved the pictures - it gave me some ideas of where we might go.

Juliecat - what do you mean by the "free bus zone"? Thanks for the idea of the Jurys Inn. Looks do-able.

Thank you Terry for understanding that some experiences in the afternoon and evening are better than none at all. Knowing that our time is limited, I think we just want to have the experience of being there, even for a short time. We're not big into organized tours or museums, though as I write that I can think of a few museums in London I would love to see, with more time! I know it's a place we're going to want to come back to. No musicals or theatre this trip, but photo ops and getting to walk around and sight-see. I loved the pictures - it gave me some ideas of where we might go.

THANKS for the thanks! Below are a few more London pictures in hopes of inspiring other ideas and thoughts to help you figure out how to spend your time there. I would be prepared to consider a couple of different option routes/priority lists, depending on the weather that day. Lot of both inside and outside things to do. Be flexible and ready to adjust accordingly. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

London’s Eye is a unique symbol along the river that allow great views around the town of its landmarks:

LondEyeRiver.jpg

From the London Eye, here is a view of Westminster Abbey, Ben Ben and Parliament:

LondParWeAby.jpg

Inside of one of London’s smaller art museums, here is the Courtauld Gallery with its early Renaissance to 20th century collections. It is noted for Impressionist and Post-Impressionist paintings:

LondArtMusInt.jpg

At the Victoria & Albert Museum in London they have spectacular rooms, architecture and art works:

LondVAMus.jpg

People shopping at Portobello Road Market:

PortobelloRdMk.jpg

Outside entrance to Churchill Museum and underground World War II command headquarters:

ChurchillMus.jpg

Juliecat - what do you mean by the "free bus zone"? Thanks for the idea of the Jurys Inn. Looks do-able.

Lifted from a London hotel site and the Jurys Inn website:

Heathrow Freeflow Free Fare Zone

These are the bus routes serving Heathrow and the immediate vicinity which are a free service. However they are only free for stops within the free fare zone. The sections that are free for bus travel at Heathrow airport are part of larger routes and not dedicated Heathrow buses but part of the public transport system. The free travel zone is sponsered by the owners of Heathrow Airport, BAA. Very roughly the zone stretches on the North side from the Sheraton Heathrow Colnbrook to the Sheraton Skyline along the Bath Road. On the East side following the path of the perimeter road down to the Jurys Hotel. Then on the South side along the Southern Perimeter Road out to the World Cargo centre.

When you board the bus tell the driver your destination. If its outside the free zone you will be asked for a fare. These routes are all part of normal services which go much further than the vicinity of the airport.

Heathrow Airport- Free Bus Service to Jurys Inn

(1) Head towards Central Coach station at Terminal 2

(2) Take Bus no 285 Towards Kingston

(3) Alight at Hatton Cross

(4) At Hatton Cross go straight through station (5) Cross the road to the left towards Jurys parallel with the A30 dual carriageway

(6) Walk for approximately 1 minute, you will see the hotel on your left hand side.

(7) Cross the Eastern Perimeter Road.

(8) Bear left along the footpath which will take you to the main entrance of the hotel.

Try and get a hotel in the Paddington (NW corner) of downtown London. From Southampton, grab the (Cross Country) train to PADDINGTON (with a change at Reading), pop into your hotel, and explore. On day of flight, there are fast trains straight from Paddington to Heathrow.

Perhaps the majority of hotels (all those around the airport perimeter) have the option of using free public buses to the Terminals. You have to watch which Terminals you are using at Heathrow as the central area where most of the buses go only serve Terminals 1 & 3.

You'll need completely different buses if you are flying from Terminal 5 to if you were fling from Terminal 3 for example. For example the 285 bus mentioned for the Jurys Inn doesn't go anywhere near Terminal 4 or 5 but is fine for Terminals 1 and 3.

Archived