Cell phones and cruise ships

HoustonTodd

Ok ... I know not to make any calls or texts while on the ship unless I want an obscene phone bill ... but what about RECEIVING texts? My oldest two kids have phones and I'd like to let them keep them on board to get any "digits" they might get while on the ship ... but if receiving texts is going to cost obscene money I don't want to get messed over on that. I know obviously you don't know my specific plan, but in general does anyone know an answer to this dilema? (for informational sake we use Verizon wireless). I've tried calling them but can't get anyone on Saturday to give me an answer.

Ok ... I know not to make any calls or texts while on the ship unless I want an obscene phone bill ... but what about RECEIVING texts? My oldest two kids have phones and I'd like to let them keep them on board to get any "digits" they might get while on the ship ... but if receiving texts is going to cost obscene money I don't want to get messed over on that. I know obviously you don't know my specific plan, but in general does anyone know an answer to this dilema? (for informational sake we use Verizon wireless). I've tried calling them but can't get anyone on Saturday to give me an answer.

Hey, guys...

Please excuse the hijack...

Todd... check your email... you have good news about your cruise tomorrow...

;)

If you don't want an obscene bill, the very best thing you can do is keep the cell phones locked up in the safe the entire cruise.

The kids will find plenty of other things to do, and after the initial shock of text withdrawal wears off, they'll probably be a lot happier not knowing what is going on back home!

If you don't want an obscene bill, the very best thing you can do is keep the cell phones locked up in the safe the entire cruise.

The kids will find plenty of other things to do, and after the initial shock of text withdrawal wears off, they'll probably be a lot happier not knowing what is going on back home!

I so totally agree - lock them up and let them experience a tech free vacation, believe me it won't kill them. My Sister-in-law had a very rude awakening when she got her cell bill where son had ONE call $320.00 and roaming fees that were off the scale. Lock em up.

If your kids phones have data plans, it will connect to the ships cell tower to update and receive emails. $2.49 a minute and to send a text .50 per each and to receive a text .05.

I second this. I have Verizon as well and I just got off the Splendor last week. Verizon will send you a (free) text with the rates once you are connected to the ship's tower, which are the same as those stated by Carolin. Email is pay per use only and charged at $0.02/KB. I'm not sure where you're going, but it was cheaper and more reliable for me to use my cell phone in port in Mexico. Try this webpage: http://b2b.vzw.com/international/Roaming/rates_coverage.html

Unless you want a very unpleasant surprise make sure those cell phones are turned off and put in the safe. I've read horror stories from a variety of carriers. The ship uses an independent company who provides wireless phone service to the ship's passengers, but the fees are outrageous and are added on top of the fees your wireless carrier charges. It's just better to turn them off and lock them up for the duration of the cruise. A pen and paper for those "digits" will be much wiser.

We were on the Radiance a couple of weeks ago. If you have Blackberry, and have international data plan (they will prorate it for you for the trip), e-mail and BBM are free, but take a little while to go through. Calls from the ship are 2.49 per minute. In Mexico, the calls were .99 cents per minute.

Non Blackberry texts and e-mail are as stated above.

I have Iphones with ATT. I let my children use the text messaging at 25 to sent and 0 to receive because we have an unlimited text plan. This is how we kept up with each other. I turned all data plans off. and cut off international roaming on the phones. My bill was not bad when we returned. The only problem I had was that my 18 year old went on his in Mexico to find out the drinking age was 18 so he could get him a drink at Fat Tuesdays. I loved that place in Atlanta and now it is where you get off the boat in Cosumel. My bill was probably only about 20 over normal. I purchased a wifi plan on the ship to check my mail when we retired for the night.

I have no idea what our plan actually charges. At home it is almost impossible to have a large amount of family time without distractions. So, since our first trip years ago, we have our cell phone ritual...get onboard, go to Lido, eat lunch and call anyone you want. When leaving for the mandatory drill, all phones are turned off and put in the safe until we return to our home port.

Our youngest kids are now 16 and this keeps them from sitting in their cabins texting all day. They actually have to get out and interact with people (including us). The first trip was a little rough, but now no one seems to mind. I truly appreciate the time AWAY and I love having my family WITH me. I'm sure to some people, this seems a little much in these days of technology, but a few more blinks and my kids will be gone. I'm taking every second I can get!

Archived