what to do with stuff when swimming

kateydid14

hi first timer here wondering what to do with clothing and other stuff while we swim. will be on the spirit in feb. and plan on spending day at the beach in costa maya, and then amitique in guatemala. we bought an aqua pak for money, passports etc, it is safe to leave a change of clothes, sun screen, camera etc. on the beach? also will swim with the dolphins in cozulmel then want to shop and go out to lunch, then go to the beach, are there lockers at any of these places to store our perosnal stuff, cameras, dry clothes etc, or is it safe to leave back pack on the beach?

thanks in advance!

Kate

I bought a bag protector alert for our camera bag. It has a motion sensor and pull-pin alarms. The alarm is 100 decibels and it is water resistant as well.

I've never heard of anything like this; sounds like a great invention. Can you help me find a link to a website that sells them? Either a direct link or enough "words" to find it on a search? (For example, the name brand, official name of the product, etc.) Thanks!

I've never heard of anything like this; sounds like a great invention. Can you help me find a link to a website that sells them? Either a direct link or enough "words" to find it on a search? (For example, the name brand, official name of the product, etc.) Thanks!

I bought it at Home Hardware. It cost $29.95 CDN. It is from Doberman Security and it is called a Bag Protector Alert.

You can order it online for under 20.00 from Amazon with free shipping. I am thinking of one I think it is a great idea.

I have a heavy nylon bag that I use for snowboarding. I think it was called the Burton Laundry bag or something like that. It's pretty big so we get all our beach stuff in there and it has a drawstring closure at the top. I use a cable-type ski lock and thread it through where the drawstring goes through the bag, loop it around a stationary object and cinch it tight. it obviously won't stop a determined criminal, but you sure as heck can't get in the bag without tearing it apart. Most thefts like that are "drive-bys", someone cruising the beach sees a camera, bam. Sadly we have learned to use this setup while we're at the pool onboard as well.

Hope this helps.

My main concern is my ship card, photo id and whatever money/credit card I bring with me. For those I bought an Aquapac key master which is just big enough to hold them and comes with a cord that you can hang around your neck. I have worn for swimming and snorkeling it many times and it has not leaked.

hi first timer here wondering what to do with clothing and other stuff while we swim. will be on the spirit in feb. and plan on spending day at the beach in costa maya, and then amitique in guatemala. we bought an aqua pak for money, passports etc, it is safe to leave a change of clothes, sun screen, camera etc. on the beach? also will swim with the dolphins in cozulmel then want to shop and go out to lunch, then go to the beach, are there lockers at any of these places to store our perosnal stuff, cameras, dry clothes etc, or is it safe to leave back pack on the beach?

thanks in advance!

Kate

1. Don't risk just leaving your pack unattended on the beach.

2. Find "buddy" parties on the beach and agree that you'll take turns watching their stuff if they watch yours.

3. Go to REI and order a pac safe backpack and lock it to a tree (note you'll get interesting looks at airport security when they scan it :-)

4. Leave your passports in the room safe and take other forms of ID (like DLs) that are easier to replace.

The following works for us. I have a waterproof plastic wallet in which I carry my room card, credit card and cash. I attach it with its cord to my bathing suit and put the wallet in a pocket of my bathing suit. I bring a $20. waterproof camera with me which I usually take into the water when snorkeling. If I leave it behind on the beach, no big loss. Always leave your passports in your room safe and bring only a photocopy ashore.

The following works for us. I have a waterproof plastic wallet in which I carry my room card, credit card and cash. I attach it with its cord to my bathing suit and put the wallet in a pocket of my bathing suit. I bring a $20. waterproof camera with me which I usually take into the water when snorkeling. If I leave it behind on the beach, no big loss. Always leave your passports in your room safe and bring only a photocopy ashore.

My mother brought only a photocopy of her passport in Skagway (we went into British Columbia on the train) and the officials got VERY mad at her. She was really afraid they would make me go back to the ship and get it to spring her from jail. But they didn't... but she was very humiliated. They screamed at her in front of everybody. Poor thing. So check and see if you need your passports in ANY port before getting off the ship.

My mother brought only a photocopy of her passport in Skagway (we went into British Columbia on the train) and the officials got VERY mad at her. She was really afraid they would make me go back to the ship and get it to spring her from jail. But they didn't... but she was very humiliated. They screamed at her in front of everybody. Poor thing. So check and see if you need your passports in ANY port before getting off the ship.

Point well taken but wasn't it obvious that if you went from the US into BC that you would need your passport?

When we were at Costa Maya, we were more than happy to watch fellow shipmates "stuff" while I drank beer......

When we did this tour they advised us several times a valid passport was required. It was also printed on the tour excursion order form and tickets.

I take a water wallet with me that holds a little money, credit cards and ship card. They are waterproof and wonderful. I don't take anything to the beach that I can't part with or is expensive. I take a cheap beach bag, a disposable camera etc. I don't like to rely on others to watch my stuff.

In a pinch, you can use a heavy duty ziploc snack bag for your key card, picture ID and dollar bills. It is perfect size for the money, and is waterproof when zipped closed. Be sure to put it in a pocket in your swimsuit that has velcro closers, because it will float out if you don't.

Archived