private tour deposits

cynkr

Hello. We're in the planning stages for our Eastern med cruise in June. We've been in contact with a tour company in Santorini and with one in Athens. Both have been very good in answering my questions quickly, and we were planning to reserve both tours. However, they both require a credit card deposit to hold the reservation. We've done these private tours on other cruises and never been asked to make a dept. before. Can anyone tell me...is this something new that is happening, or do you think we should look at other options? I appreciate your input, Cynthia

Hello. We're in the planning stages for our Eastern med cruise in June. We've been in contact with a tour company in Santorini and with one in Athens. Both have been very good in answering my questions quickly, and we were planning to reserve both tours. However, they both require a credit card deposit to hold the reservation. We've done these private tours on other cruises and never been asked to make a dept. before. Can anyone tell me...is this something new that is happening, or do you think we should look at other options? I appreciate your input, Cynthia

Hi Cynthia, Our Roll Call has found that every tour we have booked in the Greek Isles is asking for a credit card deposit. I asked one company about the need for the deposit. They said that in the past few years, especially in 2009, that many cruisers didnt show up for the tours--even if the ship came to port. I found the same for booking group dinners at restaurants while in port--they wanted a deposit. When I asked, I was given the same reason of people not showing up last year.

Have a great cruise, Kim

All of my private tours have asked for credit card "holds" but not deposits or other upfront charges. I can see from the operators point that it makes sense. They would be out a lot of money if some other vendor showed up the day of your private tour and offered you a similar tour for 75% of your original cost. I have set up a few tours for my roll call group and ask all participants to put down their own credit cards for holds to protect me and limit my risk as well.

Thank you both for your information. It does make sense...I just hadn't had to do that in the past. Actually, when I re-read my e-mails from the tour contacts, one asked for a dept. and the other was just a hold on the CC. We don't want to miss out on the tours, so guess we'll have to go ahead and do it this way. Again, thank you! Cynthia

Thank you both for your information. It does make sense...I just hadn't had to do that in the past. Actually, when I re-read my e-mails from the tour contacts, one asked for a dept. and the other was just a hold on the CC. We don't want to miss out on the tours, so guess we'll have to go ahead and do it this way. Again, thank you! Cynthia

Be sure to let your credit card companies know that you will be using it for a foreign deposit. I told mine the country and the company's name. Before I did that, BoA refused one and I got a call from them to verify that I new that my card was being used in Venice. So, even if you are not traveling for a few months, let them know about those tour charges. I planned on call BoA a few weeks before my trip about the travel but it slipped my mind to let them know about a tour charge 6 months out.

Kim

Interesting to see this phenomenon has spread. A few years ago we were asked for a deposit by the Nicholas, our tour guide in Rhodes, who was incredible. I was a little nervous but he was well rated on CC and it turned out to be precisely the right move - he was right on time, had a great car, and taught us so much during the tour!

We always treat our guides to whatever meals or snacks we are having i addition to a tip - it is just our way of being gracious when we are guests in another country and we get to enjoy a little of how the locals live which has always been one of our favorite things to do while traveling.

While we were sitting in a cafe towards the end of the tour, Nick explained that he had numerous "no shows" and it was the only way to protect himself. He hated doing it, but explained that he was a single owner business, and every time he got stood up it cost him a day's pay. I completely empathized wiht the guy. I respect their need to protect themselves, and I do the same, by booking guides recommended on the CC boards, which thus far, haven't steered me wrong!

I'm looking at booking a tour while in Athens in May. The tour company is asking for my credit card number but also the 3 digit number on the back of the card. They said they need it in order to reserve the tour. They want the rest of the money in cash at the end of the tour. I'm nervous about completing the form and faxing the form with my 3 digit number to this company in Athens. They were recommended by other cruisers on this site. Has anyone else experienced this? I was going to call up the credit card company as well but thought I would check on this thread first.

In 2008 all our private tours asked for CC for reservations, none actually wanted to charge against the cards ( except EKOL ) All wanted cold hard cash to avoid any additional revenue loss to the CC company.

You sure they want a deposit or are using the CC# for gurantee? For reputable companies with a track record I see no reason to have a concern. AFter all your liability for unauthorized charges are limited.

Archived