New York to Venice via British Airways

QueensChick

Hello everyone,

I've just confirmed my flghts for my October 2010 cruise out of Venice! :D

I'm fliying British Airways with a connection through London. I looked at the infamous Delta nonstop flight, but I was worried about the 12:05PM departure from Venice. I'd rather depart at 2PM and not have to worry if there are any disembarkation delays.

I'm sorry if I'm babbling but I'm just so excited about every detail of this cruise.

So... has anyone flown British Airways lately? How was your experience?

Thanks so much for your help!

I'll be honest, have not flown BA economy for quite a few years so someone should be able to provide more specific info about that. You'll get free meals (a dinner leaving JFK if you're on the overnight and then breakfast before landing at LHR), free alcohol and on demand films. BA didn't used to have games in economy but they might be now with the AVOD system.

When landing at LHR keep an eye out for Flight Connections. If you're late for some reason there is a time critical connections board too. You'll go through security again at LHR before emerging into the departures area. Keep an eye out for your gate on the screens, if you are going from a B gate then you'll take the transit over there.

Shorthaul economy you get free drinks but I think the meals are only if you are on a flight departing before 10am now.

Coming back from VCE your flight to the US will go from the B concourse as the secondary security for US bound flights is done there.

I'm fliying British Airways with a connection through London.
Are you on the Heathrow-Venice and Venice-Heathrow flights?
Yes. Most recently (Christmas), excellent. In November, not quite as good but still very good.

On board the JFK-LHR flight, every seat is issued with a blanket and a pillow. There is also a pack on every seat containing a complimentary headset for the in-flight entertainment system (which should be an on-demand system where you can start any movie, video channel or audio programme whenever you want); a Change for Good charity donation envelope, and an amenity pack containing eyeshades, slipper socks and a toothbrush/toothpaste combo.

There will be a drinks service then a hot dinner shortly after takeoff. All drinks are complimentary, including wine and other alcoholic beverages. About 90 minutes or so before arrival, there will be a second meal service a bit like a continental breakfast.

When you arrive at Heathrow, you are making a Terminal 5 -> Terminal 5 connection, which is one of the easiest of any major European hub. After you disembark, look for the purple Flight Connections signs for T5. Initially, they will be mixed with directions to the other terminals too, but when they diverge you want to follow T5 signs. They will lead you to the flight connections area in the main terminal. This is on the right-hand side of the big hall which also houses the main UK immigration inspection, but you will not need to clear immigration. You just need to have your onward boarding pass scanned, then proceed upstairs to clear security and then you will be in the main shopping/restaurant area of the main building. (If for some reason you don't have your onward boarding pass, you can collect one at the transfer desks just before the boarding pass check in the flight connections area.)

Once you have cleared security, you're at liberty to go anywhere in the main terminal. Keep an eye on the departure information screens to see where your gate is, but do not panic about getting there. You can get from any point in the main terminal building to any gate (including those in the satellite) in under 15 minutes providing you can walk at a normal strolling speed. There is no point in going to the gate any earlier than you need to because there are relatively few facilities at the gates and you don't score any brownie points by being early at the gate. However, if you have a gate in the satellite (a B gate), there are some shopping and refreshment facilities in the central part of the satellite in case you get there too early.

If your inbound flight arrives at the satellite (quite likely when you arrive from JFK), have a look at the Flight Connections screen just before you start going downstairs. This shows a list of departures from the satellite. If your onward flight is listed on there (relatively unlikely when you depart for Venice), you can use the security screening checkpoint in the satellite building (B gates) to avoid going to the main terminal and then back again.

And all in reverse when you go back. It should be pretty painless. The worst part (as always) is likely to be the security queues.

One tip in T5: At almost every point where you have a choice between taking a lift and taking an escalator, the lift will usually be faster.

Hello everyone,

I've just confirmed my flghts for my October 2010 cruise out of Venice! :D

I'm fliying British Airways with a connection through London. I looked at the infamous Delta nonstop flight, but I was worried about the 12:05PM departure from Venice. I'd rather depart at 2PM and not have to worry if there are any disembarkation delays.

I'm sorry if I'm babbling but I'm just so excited about every detail of this cruise.

Thanks so much for your help!

I flew BA to Rome last year and found no problems with my flights. I've flown with BA a few times never had any negative experiences and found their overall customer to be better than American carriers.

Hi, QueensChick,

How very smart you are to get booked so early. I am just now starting to shop for air. Do you mind telling your Air Fare, please?

I am a Cruiser and know a lot about cruisin'.

However, I am really "Flyer-Stupid."

I need advice to book an open jaw - International flight - to get to and from my cruise on the Pacific Princess, sailing from VCE and disembarking in ATH. I live at LAX (yes, a Valley Girl). I like John Wayne and Bob Hope A/P also.

I wish to fly in early to stay in Venice 3 nights (or so) and stay 2 nights after in Athens.

Ship departs VCE on 24 September 2010 at 9 PM.

Ship arrives ATH on 6 October.

Now that I am retired, my schedule is flexible (although budget-limited).

The cruise air is $1583 USD (incl. taxes & deviation fee of $75).

I searched Kayak and found B.A. for $1172.

QUESTIONS FOR YOU VERY-SMART FLYERS:

1. Am I too early?

2. How can I do better?

Thanks, IA, for your Help

:confused::confused::D:confused::confused:

Thanks for posting your question. We are still looking for airfare to Venice in July - yikes, right not it is incredibly pricey!:eek: Any advice for us would be appreciated too. We aren't frequent flyers but have enough miles to get us free somewhere in the U.S. so I'm checking NYC, Bos, Phil, and others to Venice as well as from the Cinci area.

Archived