Book RCCL direct or T/A

If you know a lot about cruising and know what you want and how to get it, do it yourself. If you are not sure, if you don't know what the ships are like and which one suits you, please for your own enjoyment book with a TA. You will be more at ease and will have someone to help you. I am not a TA and I do not use a TA. I like to control my own cruise. I have the time to research and know what I want so I do my own thing.

I use a TA....because she is family, and she give me a great OBC. There are pro and cons to doing either way. If you do use a TA be sure to ask if there is a fee or if they accept price drops. Also check what their cancellation policy entails. I personally would use a "brick and mortor" agency as it seems like their customer service is better, (they rely on word of mouth advertising).

You can also book your cruise on your own (thourgh RCCL) and then transfer to a TA. Many people do it this way so they can control their reservation, and call for price drops when they see them. They wait 'till its almost final payment, and then transfer to a TA for their perks (free tips, obc, free insurance).

Royal Caribbean does not allow Travel Agents to sell their cruises for any different price than the RCI website; so you can't get a 'better deal" by searching other travel sites.

However; agents CAN kick back extra goodies including on board credit; if you book through them.

Through Royal you can often book cruises for a smaller deposit than other sites; although ofcourse eventually you will have to come up with the same amount.

In the end; I'm not sure it will make alot of $$ difference; so it's what you are comfortable with.

Mitch

We book directly with RCCL simply to maintain control of the reservation. The few bucks in stuff TAs will offer does not seem worthwhile if you find a price drop and need to call RCCL immediately. Forbid if you TA is on vacation or could care less.

We book directly with RCCL simply to maintain control of the reservation. The few bucks in stuff TAs will offer does not seem worthwhile if you find a price drop and need to call RCCL immediately. Forbid if you TA is on vacation or could care less.

We always book direct as well!!!! Our cruise dropped down $1200 total for my family - called RC and got the price reducted (it was before final payment) The very next day - the price went up again!!! If we had booked through a TA who knows if they were in, vacation, etc to get the price drop!

Thanks - I usually book direct with Carnvial - PPV - but wasn't sure about RCCL - I have used a different T/A every time I have booked a cruise.

I usually know what ship and where I want to go - just want the best price as you all know - once on the ship it really doesn't matter!

Thanks so much for your comments.

You can also book your cruise on your own (thourgh RCCL) and then transfer to a TA. Many people do it this way so they can control their reservation, and call for price drops when they see them. They wait 'till its almost final payment, and then transfer to a TA for their perks (free tips, obc, free insurance).

I don't know about this practice; it just seems "wrong" to me. These cruiseline reps have done all the work and made all the changes we ask for and then to dis them for a TA at the last minute doesn't sit right with me. It seems to me that I read somewhere that these RCCL people are incentivized to make bookings and service them. This practice would be taking money away from the people that did the work and giving it to people that did nothing?

For all of our cruises (l2) we have used the same firm and girl who works there. We tell her what we want (either family suite and/or small balcony unit), when and where we want to go and leave the rest up to her. She calls back the same day or following day with the airfare story and accomodations and we make our decision upon her information. There have been times we purchased airfare through RCCL and paid more, but on those occasions there was an airline strike looming. A month or so before cruise time the tickets show up and never has their been the slightest problem. I might add we also use her for our trips to SXM and DisneyWorld, again, never a problem. Bottom line for us we have been blessed with a girl and firm that has a lot of expierence in the travel business. (worldtravelinc.com attn: muvy dry)

We have always used TA's I find it kind of fun to search for the best deals. In every case the price is much better than the cruise line!

"much better?"

Maybe on NCL who allow TAs to discount, but not on RCCL or even Carnival.

We have always used TA's I find it kind of fun to search for the best deals. In every case the price is much better than the cruise line!

The above is no longer true with Royal Caribbean. They will not allow an agent to advertise

their cruises for any different price. Cruise A on the RCI site will be listed at the same price

on every other site and with every other Travel Agent. To get around this, the agents many times throw in extras, but they are NOT allowed to reduce actual price.

This is not the case with the other cruiselines that I know of.

Mitch

Archived