MSC / Costa Cruises

greatphil

My partner and I would like to tie a med. cruise in with the Easter long weekend, however; all I can find are MSC and Costa... I know these are not predominantly English speaking cruises, but are they gay friendly? Does anyone have experiences with them? Are there FOD meetings? Is the language that bad of an issue?

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

We have no experience with Costa, but we just completed a 10 day Canada/New England cruise on the MSC Poesia yesterday. It was the worst cruise we have experienced since we started cruising nine years ago and we have completed 28 cruises totaling 225 days.

From our experience the MSC Poesia was so disorganized with rude staff (think of the stereotype of New Yorker’s and multiple by 10), the exception was our cabin attendant/assistant and our waiter. The assistant waiter had a cocky attitude and wasn’t pleasant.

Embarkation was a nightmare. They experienced “computer problems” and didn’t start check-in until 1 P.M. They did bring out drinks (bottled water, orange and pineapple) for the waiting passengers about 30 minutes before they commenced check in. The refreshments along with plastic cups were left on the floor, with the spigots inches from the dirty carpet. One had to get down on their hands and knees to fill a cup. The water was 2 liter bottles and passengers were taking the whole bottle which depleted the supply quickly. About 30 minutes later the staff brought out tables to place the refreshments on.

Tours are pretty much a grab bag. You are not told the time of your tour when it is purchased. Times are printed in the daily newspaper which isn’t available until 9 P.M. the day before. Tours are grouped by decks, so if you are traveling with friends or meet someone on board you would like to tour with, you are pretty much SOL unless your cabins happen to be on the same deck. One couple we met was assigned a time of 4:30 P.M. for their four hour tour in Halifax, so half of their tour was in the dark and they returned to the ship after dining hours. The only thing available for them to eat was pizza starting at 9 P.M.

And be aware that MSC has no advance cancellation policy. Once a tour is purchased they will NOT REFUND or adjust any tours. The only exception is if they cancel the tour. Often they took tour requests on a “standby” basis until they had enough interested passengers before they committed to the tour operator.

Our port stop in Newport, RI was tendered and we experienced some rain and choppy water. It was bad enough that the ship held the tenders at the dock not allowing them to return to the ship. During this time the 100+ passengers were left alone in the tender boat with the doors zipped closed for over an hour, without the driver or any cruise staff on board.

Language is an issue. All announcements are in five languages, Italian, English, German, French and Spanish, with no set order. Even though the staff speaks English, their comprehension is practically null. Unless you speak one of the other four languages fluently chances of getting any assistance is pretty slim.

There was one FOD meeting at 11:30 A.M. the third day of the cruise. The host scheduled the meeting just to gage interest (~15 people showed up) and would schedule future get-togethers on sea days to be published in the daily newspaper. No future meetings ever materialized and as we were traveling with friends, we didn’t pursue the issue.

From our experience we would not recommend anyone cruise with MSC, unless of course you are into masochism and enjoy being abused.

OMG, hope our sailing next week from NYC to Quebec is a little better. Reading through the threads, it seems that Costa and MSC are one in the same as far as service, food etc is concern. It must be something about those European based cruise lines.

Years ago Costa was a very good line & has gone down hill...last time I was on a Costa ship I rated it below NCL....the food was mediocre at best, the cabins tiny & the entertainment non existant.

The first time I was on MSC - it was aboard the OPERA..I love dit. The food was ok & the staff had a problem w/ speaking English. It is a European line..that being said - the entertainment & lounges were hopping at nite & a lot of fun. The ship was SPOTLESS!!!!

So I returned to MSC a couple of years ago & tried one of the newer larger ships - Musica - disaster all around. Unless they offered an itenerary that I desprerately wanted to do I would steer clear.

I see that they are offering VERY inexpensive rates....if that works for you...enjoy it. I love food & yet can survive on pizza & salad while onboard( We usually eat in ports that we visit).

The good news is that the gyms & steam / dry sauna areas are wonderful on both the costa & MSC ships. I love a European atmosphere and appreciate their sensibilities..

Please let us know your thoughts when you return from your cruise.

OMG, hope our sailing next week from NYC to Quebec is a little better. Reading through the threads, it seems that Costa and MSC are one in the same as far as service, food etc is concern. It must be something about those European based cruise lines.

I have been on a Costa ship two times, but I have never seen a FoD meeting. There were a few gay couples on both trips. We had never any problems but I wouldn't called it gay-friendly. We've been asked whether the beds should be seperated, but we dind't want it. And there was no problem with the cabin-service.

At least I would count both companies to the massmarket, so experienced cruisers might be a little bit disappointed.

I have not sailed MSC.....their ships look quite nicely decorated.

But I have been told many times that they are really a bargain basement operation offering very low prices and provide a product to match. As a European line...their first time cruisers have nothing to compare the ships to.

Costa...I was a pretty big Costa Cruiser till they were bought out by Carnival Corp. The first Carnival built ship for Costa was the Atlantica.....what a deviation from the original line. It was decorated by Joe Farcus who has done all the Carnival ships. Its what Farcus thinks is Italian design.

I sailed the Atlantica and hated it....the crew I reconnected with from previous ships hated the new product as well. I have not gone back. When I think of the Classica and Romantica...they were Italian ships....these new Costa Ships are basically Carnival ships with a Costa smoke stack.

If I was looking at a European cruise in the mass market category, and wanted gay friendly....I'd choose Princess. I have yet to find any negativity towards family cruisers on a Princess Ship. More upscale would be Celebrity, but for port intensive cruises in Europe...I'd go Princess. MSC.....no unless you like bargains with lots of smokers.

Costa....a Carnival product.

My vote...Princess.

Now a crossing....for something more nostalgic...Celebrity

If you sail MSC...please write a review.

The MSC Poesia is a beautiful ship and very well cared for. At a little over two years old she still looked brand new.

The food was good, but not exceptional. I'd rate it at a 7 out of 10. Good tasting Italian style home cooking comfort food, but not "fancy" restaurant quality.

Nightly shows were 30 minutes in length, compared to the normal hour of most cruise lines. The one "Cirque du Soleil" style show was was exceptional, the second show was canceled due to rough seas. All the entertainment was provided by entertainment staff and there were no guest entertainers. The majority of the shows were singing and lots of opera music, no comedy or magic shows. If you like opera, you should love the entertainment. If you are not an opera fan the nightly shows could be torture.

There are quite a few smokers on the ship. It was reminiscent of the American branded cruise lines of 9-10 years ago. If you are sensitive to smoke that may be a huge consideration.

Our passengers were divided between Europeans (French, German, Italian) and North Americans (US, Canadian). The two groups didn't intermingle and it was like there were two different simultaneous cruises.

MSC imposes a $12 per passenger, per day service charge to cover gratuities. The reception desk would not give a breakdown of how it was distributed, only that it was divided amongst the cabin attendants, cooks, laundry personnel. waiters and their assistants. My experience has been there is no motivation to provide good service when gratuities are pooled.

I would rate MSC well below NCL. If you are looking for bargain transportation to ports of call along with room and board you will do fine. Just don't have high expectations of service.

• 3 weeks later...

Our two worst cruise experiences were on Costa and MSC. I would never again book a cruise (Costa) that is filled with Italian tourists on a European sailing. They create mayhem and let their kids run wild. This is not a put-down of Italians. My trips to Italy have been among my best travel experiences but somehow within the confines of a ship things tend to be chaotic. MSC was just as bad in the USA as our Costa trip was in Europe. Food on both was terrible. If you have an aversion to smoke-filled ships be forewarned about European cruises because most Europeans still smoke. Our next European cruise is on Celebrity which has a no-smoking policy except for a few small areas on the ship but there is no smoking in cabins or on balconies. Strangely Royal Caribbean does not follow this policy. Oceania is also a non-smoking ship for the most part but the prices are higher. We met almost no FODs on either MSC or Costa.

Our two worst cruise experiences were on Costa and MSC. I would never again book a cruise (Costa) that is filled with Italian tourists on a European sailing. They create mayhem and let their kids run wild. This is not a put-down of Italians. My trips to Italy have been among my best travel experiences but somehow within the confines of a ship things tend to be chaotic. MSC was just as bad in the USA as our Costa trip was in Europe. Food on both was terrible. If you have an aversion to smoke-filled ships be forewarned about European cruises because most Europeans still smoke. Our next European cruise is on Celebrity which has a no-smoking policy except for a few small areas on the ship but there is no smoking in cabins or on balconies. Strangely Royal Caribbean does not follow this policy. Oceania is also a non-smoking ship for the most part but the prices are higher. We met almost no FODs on either MSC or Costa.

I have to disagree, most Europeans don't smoke. And the ships are definitively not smoke-filled, smoking is only allowed in some areas.

My partner and I would like to tie a med. cruise in with the Easter long weekend, however; all I can find are MSC and Costa... I know these are not predominantly English speaking cruises, but are they gay friendly? Does anyone have experiences with them? Are there FOD meetings? Is the language that bad of an issue?

Have you considered a more upscale line? Princess or its UK counterpart, P&O Cruises, while not luxury lines, has a strong European presence. You might look at Celebrity as well.

We were on the Costa Pacifica at Easter this year.

We did not know that children travel free on the Italian lines, so expect lots and lots of children at holiday times.

Language was not an issue, they did announcements in 6 different languages. They seat you in the restaurant around other english speakers and the waiter speaks english.

The ship is Carnival design, enough said. Your eyes adjust after a few days to the decor. Just not a lot of common areas. Crowded compared to other ships. Pool areas very busy and loud.

Spa area was fantastic.

No FOD meetings. Only saw one other same sex couple toward the end of the cruise.

Hello,

MSC is privately owned in Switzerland (though managed in Italy). They have a very strong building programme intent on having the newest fleet afloat. In expanding they have diluted their pool of skills and experienced people were spread over more and more ships. My main waiter was serving us after only two weeks training. I was on the Musica and it was OK. Poesia was terrible and I cancelled a planned cruise as I did not want to go through the same again. One lady was taken physically ill at the table and instead of clearing the table and relaying it, a napkin was placed across her 'illness' and we were expected to carry on. And for an 'Italian' company the coffee at dinner was rubbish. I could go on much longer but I will end by saying I have a credit for 30% off a future cruise that I am unlikely to use.

Best wishes,

Cublet

Hello,

Whilst not strictly The Med, RCCL Independence of the Seas is doing the Canaries over Easter and the number of 'family' is growing.

Best wishes,

Cublet

There are probably FOD meetings only on US cruises with both cruise lines, not in Europe, gays in Europe don´t know about that normally.

In average MSC staff is not friendly at all - gay or straight, food is lousy and the service is rude. Additional cost on board are above average compared to other cruise lines. In case you decide to book MSC book drink packages prior to check in, that might save some money, because once on board there are no special offers.

Language will be definitely an issue, coz most of Italians dont speck english.

Better choose one of the american cruise lines cruising the med sea

Years ago Costa had a great Italian product...but then Carnival took over & I never returned. I thought I had been on the worst of the lines but MSC was worse than Costa. My first MSC cruise was on the OPERA...it really was nice...food & service ok & the lounges were packed w/ Europeans having fun....2 years later I went on the newer larger ship & I could not wait to get of that ship...food service was horrendous & I have not been back to either lines...I too love teh Italian culture but believe me there is nothing on these ships that Chef Boy R Dee can't duplicate!

Good to see this thread....

We've been mulling the possibility of taking one of these due to my partner's love of the Italian language....

Still might, but good to hear good and bad, since we really don't know too much about either....

To cut a very long story short. My partner and I sailed on the Costa Atlantica in May 2010 from New York to Copenhagan. They DID not have a FOD meeting, During the cruise we made 5 requests to speak to the Cruise Director personally to have them explain why they were completely adament about not even considering our requests. These requests for a meeting were ignored until we posted details of our horrible and very offensive experiences on Costa's Face Book page, and as if my magic within 30minutes we were granted access to the Hotel Director. And YES the Hotel Director did know about the facebook post!!! This was the most condescending and offensive meeeting we were ever at. We got absoutely nowhere except him saying that whilst Costa, was under no obligations they 'accommodated' the gay community by having FOD's whilet their ships were in the Carribean, they did not in the Mediterrean or Europe as it was 'out of season'- I kid you not. And whilst i do not want to offend anyone, i believe the real reason is that they did not want to cause offence to the Italians who make up the vast majority of their guests in the med and who are not know as being particularly gay friendly. I must be honest with you and say that nationalities other than Italians are treated like second class guests by the Italians themselves whether gay or not. They are rude, impatient, never queue and are loud. We got friendly with a few of the entertainment staff who, whilst straight themselves told us that even gay staff amongst the crew faced difficulties on a regular basis and were sometimes frightened to make their sexuality known to colleagues. They also told us that staff who were not Italian were treated very badly. Make your own minds up guys, but why support a company that treats us so badly? We will never travel Costa again. 'Out of Season'? I am gay and proud all year round. There are other cruise lines out there that will give us the respect that, as paying customers we are entltled to. My 3 expereinces with Cunard for example have always been excellent, they are incredibly gay friendly and perhaps more deserving of our business.

Costa is owned by Carnival. Please write and share your experience with Carnival's CEO, Micky Arison. Also cc: Pier Luigi Foschi, Director of the Costa Division.

Carnival Corporation

3655 NW 87 Avenue

Miami, FL 33178-2428

Costa was on our list to "try" next year, but they are not sailing the itinerary we wanted. Sounds like Costa is not much different than the other Italian cruise line, MSC.

• 1 month later...

I, too, would welcome any additional reviews on MSC.

The complaints I see in the MSC forum probably would not be a problem for us (we're not particularly fussy, are well-traveled, and know that we are on a bargain cruise). I'd be interested, however, in any particulars related to the winter Mediterranean cruises, and how they differ from the mass market American lines. I guess what I am hearing is that we should not expect much of a gay presence, much less FOD meetings?

My partner and I have sailed Costa and MSC. Costa Magica in caribean and MSC Poesia in Eastern Med. Neither had an FOD meeting but we managed to find each other any way! MSC is a hard core Italian cruising experience - which can be good or bad. If you r looking for an authentic European experience with pushy Italians who do not understand the concepts of lines @ the buffet, or waiting to get on the elevator while people r exiting - then you will be fine. Also, announcements were never made in english on our sailing - fortunately my partner is fluent in Italian. I personally found the whole experience very entertaining. The MSC Poesia is a gorgeous ship - on par w/ Celebrity's Solstice class.

My partner and I have cruised twice on the Costa Serena. (Reviews posted)

No FOD meetings on either cruise.

It was certainly different being 2 of only between 7 - 10 english speakers on board... that being said, they usually sat us with them, and we had a good time on both cruises. Met some really nice people. No one gave us any problems and we were obviously a couple.

Great staff for the most part, but be warned that customer service doesn't seem to be high on the priority list with the Italian staff.

I booked with them for the destinations, not the ship per se, and have to admit that a week with 3000 people that don't seem to understand the concept of queues really wore on my nerves after about day 2.

have been on 50 cruisessince 1996...4 on msc and 4 on costa..they are my favorite cruiselines..i find them to be very gay friendly..half their entertainent teams are gay and who needs an FOD to find la familia..

Food is very good from a purist and not italianamerican style point of view..

they both have by far the cleanest ships on the sea..Have been on MSC poesia this last january with my folks for their 50th anniversary and they were fantastic..still remember the swordfish medalions,lasagne bachemel and the Saeth(big meaty whitefish) had the best waitor we have had in

50 cruises.

am going on msc magnifica this march 8 nights venice to egypt and back and will write a review when we return..cant wait!

so i wouldnt hesitate to book them..we'll bein the minority as far as english speakers and consider that part of the adventure..

my best friend and i are always mistaken for partners so will let yall knowhowwe are treated but past experiences have been great.

and the cost is great..we were able toget roundtrip air out of houston, 3 nights in veice and an8 night cruise for $1500 pp and were originally gonna do ncl out of barcelonaand the cruise alone was $1300pp..

anyway my 2 cents worth..feel free to email me with questions bobar42@hotmail.com:cool:

We have been on one Costa cruise is SE Asia and had no issues. I would not say it catered to gays by any means (there were no FOD meetings or the like) but nor would I say I ever felt uncomfortable or treated poorly.

"You get what you pay for" and that is the expectation I had and was not dissapointed. It was the itinerary and price we went for and (as often seems to be the case) we met up with a lovely male/female Aussie couple who we still correspond with and will likely travel again with as well.

Archived