Thank you RCCL

CALMOM

I'm so sorry your dad wasted 13 precious years of losing out on his child's life, his loss, but unfortunately, yours too. I go around and speak to parents and try to help them not to lose out on their children's life, when their children come out. I have been active with PFLAG for years and love every minute of it. I am most proud, that last year, I was able to convince the school board to allow me to hand out flyers at 8 high schools, for parents who had children that came out and need someone to speak to. I also go to the counseling office twice a month in case there are kids who want to come out to their parents but are afraid to. There is way too many gay suicide teens in America and if I can save just one, then my time is very well spent.

I am so happy that now you have rejoined as a family. Have a great cruise together.

When you get a chance, check out the Yes Institute...

They help work with gay teens down and local school districts with just that same sort of thing to try to prevent teen suicide....

To RMS Olympic:

Wow, it's really sad that you have not heard from your parents in 16 years, I can't imagine not having our son and his partner (who has been a part of our family for 9 years!) in our lives. I hope, someday, your parents are able to accept and contact you.

To Calmom: You do sound like a great mom! Kudos for all the good things you are doing! I hope the cruise works out!

Sherri:)

I'm so sorry your dad wasted 13 precious years of losing out on his child's life, his loss, but unfortunately, yours too. I go around and speak to parents and try to help them not to lose out on their children's life, when their children come out. I have been active with PFLAG for years and love every minute of it. I am most proud, that last year, I was able to convince the school board to allow me to hand out flyers at 8 high schools, for parents who had children that came out and need someone to speak to. I also go to the counseling office twice a month in case there are kids who want to come out to their parents but are afraid to. There is way too many gay suicide teens in America and if I can save just one, then my time is very well spent.

I am so happy that now you have rejoined as a family. Have a great cruise together.

CALMOM,

I find myself starting to cry why I read some of your posts. You have created a wonderful family. I hope you know how much the gay community appreciates parents like you.

I am excited for the Allure cruise, but I agree that the ports are not great. RCCL decided that they don't want Oasis and Allure to tender so these ships will only call on the largest ports. However, there is so much to do on these ships I think I will be fine with the ports. I was thinking about doing the March cruise in 2011, they usually have much more interesting ports because they use a little smaller ship, but Allure will be a totally new experience. If I had more vacation time, I'd do both.

Whatever you choose to do, I think you will enjoy the Atlantis experience. The entertainment is just over the top.

by the way, if you do choose Allure, we'll have to arrage to meet on board. I'm sure all of the CC-ers would love to meet you are your son in person.

What a wonderful posting.

Hearing a parents comments like this is just beautiful. My parents were just the opposite....its been 16 years since I have heard from them...they are just the opposite about gay people....there is no place for them. Life goes on.

So your son is very fortunate.

As for taking a gay cruise......I'd say go for it.

I would suggest the smaller ships (which arent so small). I would also suggest RSVP for a family trip...as I think the crowd is a bit more diversified.

I remember on one RSVP cruise I met two ladies one evening.....I guess in their 40's.....They said they were lovers.....my gaydar said I dont think so. So after a beverage together they told me they were just best friends, left the husbands and kids at home and booked the cruise. After hearing how much more fun the gay charters were. I asked them what they thought of the trip so far...their response...we have already booked for next year...and may bring the husband.

My straight friends who have cruised with me on mainstream cruises have expressed interest in a gay charter......I think its time.

To you and your husband.......thank you for embracing your son and his BF....its just wonderful.

In the meantime...I am preapring for the RSVP cruise on Eurodam sailing Feb 13th. Next year...Atlantis perhaps on their cruise out of San Juan on the Summit. Alure...just too big.

Enjoy!

I am so sorry to hear that. This is exactly why I do, what I do. I need to let these parents know, they can NEVER get these years back. A mother gives birth to a child, not a gender sex. The last I knew a man could not designate which sperm they choose to use, to make sure they have a straight child. A child is a gift from GOD, and who has met GOD to know for a fact if he was straight or gay. No, I am not religious at all, I just know a lot of homophobic's use that, as their excuse. You can be my son any day and I would be proud of you.

I am sorry, I really did not come on this board to preach. I really wanted just to thank RCCL for allowing my son to have a place to be himself. I guess sometimes I get carried away with my passion.

My son and his BF are coming over for dinner tomorrow night, they love Mom's homecooking, LOL We will sit down and talk about the cruises and see which one they feel comfortable with me going with them.

Thank you for all of your advise, I truly appreciate it.

When you get a chance, check out the Yes Institute...

They help work with gay teens down and local school districts with just that same sort of thing to try to prevent teen suicide....

Thank you so much, I will definitely get in contact with them and see how we can work together.

CALMOM,

I find myself starting to cry why I read some of your posts. You have created a wonderful family. I hope you know how much the gay community appreciates parents like you.

I am excited for the Allure cruise, but I agree that the ports are not great. RCCL decided that they don't want Oasis and Allure to tender so these ships will only call on the largest ports. However, there is so much to do on these ships I think I will be fine with the ports. I was thinking about doing the March cruise in 2011, they usually have much more interesting ports because they use a little smaller ship, but Allure will be a totally new experience. If I had more vacation time, I'd do both.

Whatever you choose to do, I think you will enjoy the Atlantis experience. The entertainment is just over the top.

by the way, if you do choose Allure, we'll have to arrage to meet on board. I'm sure all of the CC-ers would love to meet you are your son in person.

Ah Steve, please don't cry. I believe that my family stayed intact when my son came out because my children were brought up to love everyone regardless of their sex, race or sexual gender. Unfortunately, there are parents that just don't understand that a child is born with no hate or discrimination, that is something that they are taught by their parents and society.

I would love to meet each and everyone of you and I will keep you all posted which cruise I am going on. I can also give those Mom hugs, that so many need.

all I can say CALMOM is that you are great!. I'm lucky to say I have equally supportive parents who sadly :D aren't in the position to send us on our next cruise. nah, their love is enough for us. Al is their third son now.

Just on RCCL tho.... our last cruise was with them and we loved it as well, a straight cruise tho. not quite sure about an all gay cruise but we're warming to the idea.

Just booked our fourth cruise (with NCL). So far have never had any issues except for a strange attitude from our first steward on our Celebrity cruise (was a two sector cruise and we upgraded for the second sector and had the best steward) and a couple stood in front of us in the line for formal photos who turned around, looked us both up and down, and then left the line.

Funniest was the photographer on that cruise (or maybe Rotterdam?) who kept telling us to stand closer and closer when he was taking our photos - he said "closer, closer, like you mean it" hehe.

maybe we've been lucky or maybe cruising is just the best environment for us to feel comfortable?

again, thanks for posting CALMOM, you've made my day

all I can say CALMOM is that you are great!. I'm lucky to say I have equally supportive parents who sadly :D aren't in the position to send us on our next cruise. nah, their love is enough for us. Al is their third son now.

Just on RCCL tho.... our last cruise was with them and we loved it as well, a straight cruise tho. not quite sure about an all gay cruise but we're warming to the idea.

Just booked our fourth cruise (with NCL). So far have never had any issues except for a strange attitude from our first steward on our Celebrity cruise (was a two sector cruise and we upgraded for the second sector and had the best steward) and a couple stood in front of us in the line for formal photos who turned around, looked us both up and down, and then left the line.

Funniest was the photographer on that cruise (or maybe Rotterdam?) who kept telling us to stand closer and closer when he was taking our photos - he said "closer, closer, like you mean it" hehe.

maybe we've been lucky or maybe cruising is just the best environment for us to feel comfortable?

again, thanks for posting CALMOM, you've made my day

I am happy to see you having loving parents. I have only been on straight (I don't like labeling) cruises but I have had the pleasure of meeting several gay couples and I never saw any problems. Of course, if I did, I would be in that straight person's face, too:D. I have zero tolerance for homophobics and I have no problem putting them in their place. Thank you for the compliment.

Archived