Question About Cruise Director's Staff

kicker

There's a very useful thread on here by LauraS showing an Official Cruise Director listing for RCCL ships (thank you, Laura!). But I have a question I don't think I've seen addressed on here before:

When a Cruise Director changes ships or takes a leave, does his staff go with him?

I'm asking because (in 6 cruises), I've generally enjoyed all of the CD's, but sometimes we loved their staffs, while others were only so-so. Does anyone know the answer to my main question?

There's a very useful thread on here by LauraS showing an Official Cruise Director listing for RCCL ships (thank you, Laura!). But I have a question I don't think I've seen addressed on here before:

When a Cruise Director changes ships or takes a leave, does his staff go with him?

I'm asking because (in 6 cruises), I've generally enjoyed all of the CD's, but sometimes we loved their staffs, while others were only so-so. Does anyone know the answer to my main question?

I think the CD's staff each have their own employment contract with the cruiseline and don't usually move with the CD when he or she leaves for another ship. I know, for example, that when Joff Eaton went from the Jewel of the Seas to the Independence of the Seas, his sidekick on the Jewel, Steve, did not transfer to the Indy with him. Also when a CD joins his new ship, he or she often inherits the assistants who are currently working on that ship.

It seems to me that some staffs work so well together, I assumed they were a constant team. On one cruise we were sure at least two (and probably three assistants) would be future CDs themselves. On another cruise we felt the staff thought too much of themselves (I don't cruise to hear staff members do Karaoke, for example). On our last cruise the staff seemed to reflect the energy of the CD, and they seemed like a seasoned team.

Yes each crew member has his/her own contract. Can Cd's bring other crew staff members with them if things work well between them yes. But it has to be cleared through the head office, and the boss of each. It also works funny for those that are married or living together on board ship( this is technically frowned upon but there are exceptions/or overlooks if there isn't too many ruffled feathers.

I have met and gotten to know alot of people on many ships and have seen some of my friends and aquaintances on different ships. Its always fun to get re-aquainted all over again.

Archived