Embera village and Cristobal pier shopping

Ocean lover 1

Unfortunately, I'm on a carnival cruise in Feb that is docking at the Colon 2000 pier. I'm interested in doing a tour through the cruise ship to visit the Embera village. We are in port from 7am - 4pm and the tour is from 10am to 1 pm.

I've read that the handicrafts from different tribes are at the cristobal pier and not at Colon 2000. Of course, I'm planning on seeing a lot of handicrafts from the villagers, which is great!

Has anyone done this tour and are they usually on time?

Has anyone done the tour and then gone shopping at Cristobal? I'm interested in seeing molas.

Are there taxis at the cruise ship and are they reliable? I know it's only across town but I'm nervous because of Colon's reputation.

Is there a web site that lists what ships will be docked at the cristobal pier? I understand the indians aren't there unless a ship is docked.

I am not sure you will even be able to enter the Cristobal pier area if you are not a passenger on a ship that is docked at Cristobal. Also, as you stated, the Indians may not be there if there is not a ship at Cristobal. I don't know either if the rest of the shopping area at the Cristobal pier is open when there is no ship, I get the impression that it is not open when there is no ship docked. Sorry I can't help you with the other questions.

Here is a website with the schedule of ships to dock at Cristobal during February, good luck:

http://cruisett.com/ports.php?PortID=156&date=18

• 3 months later...

Well there are Indian Indians in Panama and a fairly large amount of them at that:D but the "Indian" referred to here are Panama's indigenous people. The largest groups are the Kunas who noted for their "molas" and live in and around the San Blas Islands off the north coast of Panama. The other group which tourists come into contact with the most are the Embera who are from the Darien region, tours are offered to their village and they offer a great deal of handicrafts. The other larger goup who are more from western Panama are the Guaymi who are now referred to as Ngobe-Bugle. There are some other smaller groups but I can't think of them right now.

Most of the private tours to the Embera Indians do go out of Colon and not Cristobal. There are a few indian dancers as you leave the port area and they are dancing for tip money. I have no idea if they are Embera. If you go to the Embera from the ship tour you will not be going to the real living area. There are 3 real areas and one they bring when a ship tour comes which is not the place they live at. They come just for the tour. If you do a private tour then you will go to the authentic tribe area.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are going on the Pacific side to Costa Rica, there is a great handicraft area in Puntarenas, next to the pier. As well as molas, they have wooden trivets, and lots of other things I really don't need, but----

• 2 weeks later...

I will be in Colon Panama on Sept. 2nd on Carnival Freedom. I want to do a private tour to go the the actual Embera village, the tours from the ship do not go there. I am looking for anyone that is taking the Carnival Freedom cruise on Aug. 28th that might be interested in doing the tour. Anne will take up to 15 people. Right now I am the only one going.

Archived