Gore Tex Jackets Necessary?

msjekylcruiser

My family of four will be cruising to Alaska in June. I've been looking around for waterproof jackets for us, but I'm having trouble finding anything resonably priced. Even at 69-79 dollars range, that almost $300 for 4 jackets. I know we won't wear them again, expecially my teen boys. We live in Florida in the panhandle and although it rains, an umbrella works just fine here in the heat.

I've read that the cheap plastics are not comfortable. So my question is, will it be worth while for me to spring for the better jackets or will we be just fine (maybe a little warm) in the cheaper vinyl jackets.

Thanks for you help.

Do you have charity shops / jumble sales where you are, or could you borrow some from people who have them but hopefully won't be using them in June?

You will sweat under PVC type plastic raincoats, but you can get cheaper waterproofs than Goretex that will not make you sweat.

I live in Scotland, and know that Goretex is just a luxury brand of waterproof, other waterproofs do the job nicely.

A poncho would work just fine too. I bought mine at L.L.Bean and it folds up into a little square about 5x 5 inches. You can also get very cheap ones at Wallmart that would work fine, like about $6. You don't sweat with a poncho because air can get in an around it.

My family of four will be cruising to Alaska in June. I've been looking around for waterproof jackets for us, but I'm having trouble finding anything resonably priced. Even at 69-79 dollars range, that almost $300 for 4 jackets. I know we won't wear them again, expecially my teen boys. We live in Florida in the panhandle and although it rains, an umbrella works just fine here in the heat.

I've read that the cheap plastics are not comfortable. So my question is, will it be worth while for me to spring for the better jackets or will we be just fine (maybe a little warm) in the cheaper vinyl jackets.

Thanks for you help.

i have no shame in saying i bought a nice lightweight nylon hooded weatherproof jacket from walmart in the sporting goods dept for $10 and it works perfect. it packs great, has pockets and i can wear it on the deck and in the port if i need it. i come from the midwest and i know about the cold weather. so this jacket is perfect for me. if i need something heavier under it there are wonderful sweatshirts you can buy on the ship or in the port. i agree that gortex is a overpricets brand name the does not fit into my budget or carryon.

I just bought 2 rainproof and windproof jackets for myself and my husband from Landsend. I bought 2 jackets, 2 pairs of waterproof shoes, 2 hats and 2 pair of gloves for just about 100.00. Right now they're having a great winter clearance and the prices are right and the quality is great. The jackets will be fine for the mild winters we do have here in the panhandle, we live in Gulf Breeze, Florida. We'll be going the end of August so we could have any type of weather.:

This past week I bought DRI DUCKS jacket and pant sets for my family.These suits are waterproof and very breathable.They take up very little space in the suitcase and only weigh 7oz. I also like the way the jacket looks and fits.It also has a nice sturdy zipper,and the seams are sealed and stitched.I bought mine at at grander mountain in TEXAS .The rainsuit was $19:D and it is even washable.

This past week I bought DRI DUCKS jacket and pant sets for my family.These suits are waterproof and very breathable.They take up very little space in the suitcase and only weigh 7oz. I also like the way the jacket looks and fits.It also has a nice sturdy zipper,and the seams are sealed and stitched.I bought mine at at grander mountain in TEXAS .The rainsuit was $19.

Would it be possible to spray waterproofing on a jacket or would the material absorb it? We have fleece-lined denim jackets that we're hoping we can just waterproof by spraying some kind of waterproofing on them.

Is that feasible???? We do have cheapie ponchos.

The key is waterproof breathable, micro-porous membrane. Gore-Tex is just one brand of this fairly common technology. Unfortunately, the $10 Walmart "rain jacket" won't work, unless you do Walmart in Juneau or Ketchikan.

Finally, we had zero rain in Alaska in July, and record heat in Skagway. Hope for the best and plan for the worst ;-)

The key is waterproof breathable, micro-porous membrane. Gore-Tex is just one brand of this fairly common technology. Unfortunately, the $10 Walmart "rain jacket" won't work, unless you do Walmart in Juneau or Ketchikan.

Finally, we had zero rain in Alaska in July, and record heat in Skagway. Hope for the best and plan for the worst ;-)

no, you cant waterproof the walmart nylon hooded jacket i bought but i also carry a small purse size umbrella with me in case i need it. and i have been very lucky that it has always stayed in the purse. i have seen many of the dollar poncho's on people if it rains or there is a drizzle. dont be afraid too use one if you need too. but, i do just fine with my choice of rain protection. i hope it holds true this june :).

if your greatest exposure to rain or exertion is walking across the street to the next set of tanzanite shops, you're hardly going to work up a sweat needing a breathable fabric.

if you're actually going to be standing outside in the rain for a couple of hours, then breathable fabrics will not work. you can't push water uphill. if the atmosphere is at 100% saturation, you just can't vent moisture out through your jacket. warm moist air inside your jacket holds more moisture than the cooler outside air making it even less likely to vent out.

everyone i know has had one gortex jacket. one was enough. that isn't gortex the deck crew is wearing on deadliest catch, those are hellies or grundèns.

but if you're really into making a fashion statement, rock on.

Archived