Disney Cruise June 2010

Mardonna

We are a family of 6....4 kids are ages 9, twins 5 1/2, and a 2 1//2 year old (all at time of travel)......I am trying to figure out St. Petersburg.......do I or don't I bring kids on tours? especially the youngest.....Disney excusrions are out and they are mostly half day trips because of the kids.....but I am leaning towards at full day trip with private tour......maybe bring kids on 2nd day and leave them on ship first day since it is shorter...could really use some help.....

We are a family of 6....4 kids are ages 9, twins 5 1/2, and a 2 1//2 year old (all at time of travel)......I am trying to figure out St. Petersburg.......do I or don't I bring kids on tours? especially the youngest.....Disney excusrions are out and they are mostly half day trips because of the kids.....but I am leaning towards at full day trip with private tour......maybe bring kids on 2nd day and leave them on ship first day since it is shorter...could really use some help.....

Mardonna, I am sure you realize that you are addressing this to folks who are not used to having children along. But let me at least say this:

I am not familiar with the Disney cruise line but if you are interested in seeing St. P with your family, including the youngest one, do so with a private tour company. There are several listed here and you are probably aware of them. They can tailor your interests and make better suggestions than most of us.

But, to be sure, have it include the fountains at Peterhof. There are several places there that the kids would enjoy (the magic hidden rock fountain, etc). The park is wonderful for all.

Here is one of many pictures. I am sure you will see many more from other cc members. This is part of our Baltic cruise description. Details can be found at http://www.*****.com/SP1.html

To the side of this building is a trick fountain, a great place for kids to have some fun on a warm day like we had here. Normally it looks like a bunch of rocks as you walk across, but step on the wrong one and you get squirted but good.

Our stroll through the park continued, but unfortunately Jim, one of our six-some, had a bad back and was unable to continue. A rick-shaw helped him get back to the bus. He was alright, but we all felt bad and wished him good luck.

He decided not join us for the next two days.

b756.jpg

We are veterans of several cruises aboard DCL, including Europe (Mediterranean). While they were younger (<=10 y.o.), our boys certainly enjoyed the dedicated youth programs. Their parents ;) appreciated that, unlike most other cruise lines, Disney actually enforces their "adults-only" areas. DCL's adults-only restaurant, Palo, is truly superb! (Dine there early & often, especially for brunch on sea days.)

Active members of the dedicated DCL cruise forum ( http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9 ), we booked our "usual" staterooms aboard Disney Magic on the day that their Baltic itineraries were announced.

Unfortunately, DCL subsequently modified their schedule to include only 1.5 days in St. Petersburg, the gem of the Baltic. Accordingly, we canceled in favor of the superior itinerary of Azamara: 3 full days in St. Pete, and overnights in Berlin & Stockholm. An unanticipated bonus, our Sky Suite + inside stateroom on "upscale" Azamara will actually cost us >$6000 less than similar (but w/o suite amenities) accommodations aboard DCL.

You are paying a steep premium to cruise aboard Disney Cruise Lines. In return, you can be confident that your young children will be utterly delighted to be left aboard while DH & DW soak up some culture!

This will be our fifth Disney Cruise.....we did the TA crossing in 2007.....fantatstic trip.....wouldn't do any other cruise with my kids....at least until they are older.

We have sailed that the last 3 times in cat 1 and 2.....well worth the price....

We were on a Baltic cruise last summer with our two daughters who were 12 and 6 at the time. We opted for a 2 day private tour with Anastasia Travel. It was a wonderful experience that both girls loved. We were able to move at our own speed and see only what we wanted to see. It would be a bit more difficult travelling with a toddler, however, Anastasia is very helpful and would taylor the itinerary to suit your family. I would be happy to answer any questions about our St. Petersberg itinerary or any of the other cities we visited (Copenhagen, Stockholm, Tallinn, Gdansk, Oslo and Helsinki).

Lisa

Which cruise are you on? We are on the June 12 Disney Cruise and have a 5 and 7 yr old. We were thinking along the same lines ie one day with the kids, one without. Are you interested in sharing a private guide?

This will be our fifth Disney Cruise.....we did the TA crossing in 2007.....fantatstic trip.....wouldn't do any other cruise with my kids....at least until they are older.

We have sailed that the last 3 times in cat 1 and 2.....well worth the price....

Hello Mardonna-

We are in those planning stages as well. We think we are going to the brief shopping tour that is about $30 I think. It seems that will give us a little bit of exposure to St. P, but it doesn't seem to us to be a good "walking around" city like some of the others ports. We are not really big museum people, so we think that will be all we will do there. We go in July.

Ken

We were on a Baltic cruise last summer with our two daughters who were 12 and 6 at the time. We opted for a 2 day private tour with Anastasia Travel. It was a wonderful experience that both girls loved. We were able to move at our own speed and see only what we wanted to see. It would be a bit more difficult travelling with a toddler, however, Anastasia is very helpful and would taylor the itinerary to suit your family. I would be happy to answer any questions about our St. Petersberg itinerary or any of the other cities we visited (Copenhagen, Stockholm, Tallinn, Gdansk, Oslo and Helsinki). Lisa

As Lisa experienced, we used Anastasia and it all worked super great. Whether it is with kids or not (we didn't, had just four adults), it is vital to very specific, in detail, what you need, like and want in what you will send as a request to each potential tour firm. Ask questions, do follow-ups, etc. Make it personal and custom to your interests and needs! Don't grab the first firm you write to and assume "that's it" after reading a couple of positive reviews for only one firm. I don't know your daughters, but I think there is lots to see, love and enjoy at the Peterhof, as one example. Below is one of my pictures of the "surprise" fountain that is super fun for kids of all ages, plus a couple of others from the Peterhof. Riding the hydrofoil is fun. Lots of great options in St. Petersburg. Maybe many kids might not be into the art details, but the rooms at the Hermitage are pretty spectacular and interesting. Get a good photo book of St. Petersburg, such as Eyewitness, and review that with your daughters. See what is catching their eye and interest. A custom, private tour can be made to fit your exact interests. Don't be stuck with the basic "formula 101" schedule that some firms will push as it is easiest for them. Challenge them to be creative after they get the background on your interests and travel style!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

These are the surprise fountains that go off on the hour to the delight of kids and others at the Peterhof:

1A-Peterhof-SurpriseFountains.jpg

Another fountain and statue area for strolling and enjoying on these park grounds:

1A-Peterhof-GardensFount.jpg

Fountains and water from the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

Unfortunately, DCL subsequently modified their schedule to include only 1.5 days in St. Petersburg, the gem of the Baltic. Accordingly, we canceled in favor of the superior itinerary of Azamara: 3 full days in St. Pete, and overnights in Berlin & Stockholm. An unanticipated bonus, our Sky Suite + inside stateroom on "upscale" Azamara will actually cost us >$6000 less than similar (but w/o suite amenities) accommodations aboard DCL.

You are paying a steep premium to cruise aboard Disney Cruise Lines. In return, you can be confident that your young children will be utterly delighted to be left aboard while DH & DW soak up some culture!

I never got past Disney's price tag when choosing a Europe cruise for 2010. Even if the price had been reasonable - the fact that the ship doesn't arrive in St. Petersburg until 12:30 would've been a deal breaker for sure.

I never got past Disney's price tag when choosing a Europe cruise for 2010. Even if the price had been reasonable - the fact that the ship doesn't arrive in St. Petersburg until 12:30 would've been a deal breaker for sure.

Don't give up! There are a number of cruise ship options doing the Baltics. It's not cheap now, but I doubt that it is going to drop dramatically lower in the future. Keep planning and trying to make it work. Below are a couple of Tivoli shots for what can be enjoyed in Copenhagen.

Entering to enjoy Tivoli in the heart of charming Copenhagen:

1A-Copenh-TivoliEntr.jpg

The water, boat and unique architecture of Tivoli:

1A-Copenhagen-TivoliB.jpg

Lots of outdoor dining options in Tivoli:

1A-Copenh-TivDining.jpg

Tivoli has lots of rides including this twisting roller coaster:

1A-Copenh-TivRolCoasters.jpg

Another view of Tivoli with its rides, water and downtown Copenhagen buildings in the background:

1A-Tivoli-WaterBoats.jpg

Don't give up! There are a number of cruise ship options doing the Baltics. It's not cheap now, but I doubt that it is going to drop dramatically lower in the future. Keep planning and trying to make it work.

Not to worry, Terry - I was on a Baltic cruise in 2005 (Jewel of the Seas), and I'm on B2B Princess cruises this summer to the British Isles and Norway. :) The double occupancy rate for the two Princess cruises is less than that of a cat. 12 on a Disney Baltic cruise!

Not to worry, Terry - I was on a Baltic cruise in 2005 (Jewel of the Seas), and I'm on B2B Princess cruises this summer to the British Isles and Norway. :) The double occupancy rate for the two Princess cruises is less than that of a cat. 12 on a Disney Baltic cruise!

Great news! Disney is nice, but you pay for their name and unique audience targeting. What parts of Norway are you going to see on your cruise??? We're doing a Norway Coast, fjords, Arctic Circle, Land of the Midnight Sun cruise in early July with Silversea sailing out of Copenhagen

Great news! Disney is nice, but you pay for their name and unique audience targeting. What parts of Norway are you going to see on your cruise??? We're doing a Norway Coast, fjords, Arctic Circle, Land of the Midnight Sun cruise in early July with Silversea sailing out of Copenhagen

The Crown Princess has a similar itinerary from Southampton: Stavanger, Hellesylt/Geiranger, Trondheim, Honnigsvag, Tromso, Flam, and Bergen.

Which cruise are you on? We are on the June 12 Disney Cruise and have a 5 and 7 yr old. We were thinking along the same lines ie one day with the kids, one without. Are you interested in sharing a private guide?

We are on the June 12th sailing.....we will be in London from the 16th through the 24th...you can bet I will be checking for onboard reviews....

When does your booking window open. Ours is the 22nd of feb so I would think your is coming up soon.

We were on a Baltic cruise last summer with our two daughters who were 12 and 6 at the time. We opted for a 2 day private tour with Anastasia Travel. It was a wonderful experience that both girls loved. We were able to move at our own speed and see only what we wanted to see. It would be a bit more difficult travelling with a toddler, however, Anastasia is very helpful and would taylor the itinerary to suit your family. I would be happy to answer any questions about our St. Petersberg itinerary or any of the other cities we visited (Copenhagen, Stockholm, Tallinn, Gdansk, Oslo and Helsinki).

Lisa

We will be going to Copenhagen, Stockholm, tallin, Oslo, and waundermere.....from what I can see most of these cities can be seen best with the Public transport and cards they offer....is this what you did? My main concern is how to time out how much time you stay at each place.....? In St. petersburg and Waundermemre we have tours already booked.

Feel free to email me....mmaragon@prodigy.net

We will be going to Copenhagen, Stockholm, tallin, Oslo, and waundermere.....from what I can see most of these cities can be seen best with the Public transport and cards they offer....is this what you did? My main concern is how to time out how much time you stay at each place.....? In St. petersburg and Waundermemre we have tours already booked.

Feel free to email me....mmaragon@prodigy.net

The port is Warnemunde.

Archived