Hermitage Gold Room

Mardonna

Is this a must see? I can usually only take a few hours in any museum...so wondering if the typical 2.5 highlight tour is best.....but then again is the Gold Room that much of a big deal that you have to see it?

To be honest, we weren't even offered it on our tour. I know it is an additional cost,and we booked a sort of pre planned schedule, and it wasn't included. I'm sure it must be unbelievable to see, but after a while, it's just another ornate room.

I'm sure if we had the chance to see it, I would have loved it. As of now, I didn't miss not seeing it.

Len

Is this a must see? I can usually only take a few hours in any museum...so wondering if the typical 2.5 highlight tour is best.....but then again is the Gold Room that much of a big deal that you have to see it?

This info is not first-hand knowledge. The Gold Room is a special section in the Hermitage comprising connected rooms with jewellery on display. You have to book in advance with your tour company as the Gold Room is supervised by the authorities which provide their own guide at pre-arranged time. The one hour tour costs $20.

Our private guide said that since it is a prearrange time it could cut into your touring time. I got the feeling they didn't always get to pick the time so, you could be planning your touring time around the pre-arranged tour for the Gold Room. Since we are in St. Petersburg for only 1 1/2 days we decided to skip it.

We did the Gold Room tour. It was a little over an hour. It is several rooms actually, all of them items of gold (not just jewelry).

The special guide for this tour only takes you to each display area and explains the items. If yoiu love looking at a lot of gold items for over an hour, you will love this tour. If not, do not worry about booking it.

If I had to do it all over again, I would skip it. There are some fabulous items, but a little goes a long way. We were tired of just standing after 90 minutes and if I had to do again, would spend the time in the Hermitage itself. Although we did have between 4 - 5 hours there, it is so huge with so much to see.

We didn't bother with the Gold Room - we did a rather condensed version of the Hermitage tour leaving after 2 or 2 1/2 hours. The Hermitage was extremely crowded - so much so that my husband had to carry our 6 year old daughter so that she wouldn't be trampled in the crowds. Be prepared to line up to see the most popular paintings and the line needs to keep moving - no taking time to contemplate the work of art. Our wonderful guide, Anna, moved us very quickly through some of the "must-see" areas of the Hermitage and into the less crowded Impressionist section where our girls were much happier to be able to wander and enjoy the paintings. While the Hermitage can not be missed on a trip to St. Petersberg it was not exactly a pleasant experience for us because of the crowds.

Lisa

Lisa, I am sorry to hear the Hermitage was crowded when you went. That really does impact one's enjoyment factor!

But when we were there, it was not crowded.

I do not know if you did a private tour or the ship's? When I asked about the lack of crowds when we were at Catherine's Palace, our tour guide Elena with SPB told us that the guides all know when is the best time to go to hopefully avoid the crowds at the major sites. Do not know if that is true but it was for us.

Hi traveler525,

We were on a 2 day private tour with Anastasia tours. We had an excellent guide - it just happened to be very busy when we were there (August 8/9th). Catherine's Palace was also very busy but not as busy as the Hermitage and our guide was able to get us through the crowds quickly because the other guides were sympathetic to the fact that we had a little one with us. We went to the Hermitage on the 2nd day of our tour and were there at opening time and were surprised at how crowded it already was. Don't regret it at all though as it is stunning and we would not have missed it for anything.

Lisa

Lisa, I am sorry to hear the Hermitage was crowded when you went. That really does impact one's enjoyment factor!

But when we were there, it was not crowded.

I do not know if you did a private tour or the ship's? When I asked about the lack of crowds when we were at Catherine's Palace, our tour guide Elena with SPB told us that the guides all know when is the best time to go to hopefully avoid the crowds at the major sites. Do not know if that is true but it was for us.

Excellent point on how the better guides and firms know how to time things and move around the big, massive tour groups. Like Lisa, we used Anastasia and it all worked out super well. You will see from several of these photos that we did not have the massive mobs to battle at the Hermitage, Catherine's Palace, etc. This is a representative sample of what we experienced. People there, but not over-crowded. Another good reason to do private tours in this great city.

We did not do the gold room at the Hermitage as we did a day-trip to Moscow, seeing the Royal crowns, famed eggs, other jewels, etc., there. It's a matter of time priorities within the Hermitage. You can't see it all and need to determine what's most important for your personal interests. In the Hermitage, it is much, much more than the world-class art and sculpture. It's the spectacular rooms, great architecture, etc., that is there. We visited St. Petersburg in early August.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

At St. Petersburg’s Hermitage, just one of many, many great galleries:

1A-StP-HermitageGalleries.jpg

Another example of Hermitage galleries with lots of room and special architecture. The display rooms are all different in their design and style:

1A-StP-Hermt-DisplayRoom.jpg

Inside Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg with its spectacular reception room, painted ceiling, gold, etc.:

A-StP-CathPal.jpg

An overall view of the size and scale of St. Isaac's interior. People there, but not that crowded:

1A-StP-StIsaacInt.jpg

A wider shot of the Spilled Blood interior:

1A-StP-SpilledBld.jpg

Another fountain and statue area for strolling and enjoying on these Peterhof park grounds:

1A-Peterhof-GardensFount.jpg

If you arrange a private tour, you can of course do it as you want to do it and allocate your time accordingly. If you go with a group, I am sure that the Gold Room would take a substantial part of your tour time.

The Gold Room provides a special docent, not your regular guide. The first section is ancient gold from the Scythians who lived around the Black Sea. It is absolutely amazing and has many many beautiful gold artifiacts, including that wonderful solid gold stylized deer with its antlers running over its back which is seen in many pictures.

The second section consists of gifts to the Russian Government, mostly from foreign governments from China to Africa. It includes gold, gemstones, ivory, armour and weapons and all sorts of fabulous things, and is well worth seeing.

We enjoyed the Gold Room very much. Although all of the Hermitage is stunning, we considered it the highlight of the tour.

If it is what YOU want to do, don't let your guide's desire to rush make you give it up.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Archived