Cove Balcony on The Dream?

J-Hawk

I have looked at the pictures and the description on the website and I still don't understand what the cove balcony is supposed to be. It almost looks like the balcony opens up to a window rather than opening up to the ocean. Is this correct?

I have looked at the pictures and the description on the website and I still don't understand what the cove balcony is supposed to be. It almost looks like the balcony opens up to a window rather than opening up to the ocean. Is this correct?

I believe that the balcony is built within the hull so the balcony "opening" is kind of framed by the metal of the hull. It does open up to the ocean, not a window.

Anyone, please correct me if I am wrong.

Hey Mach - that is exactly what I was trying to say but maybe didn't word it correctly :o

and the reason I knew that was from your fantastic Dream review and all the info and pictures you provided. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it and how it made me all the more excited for my B2B Dream cruises in April!!!

:D

Nope... not corrrect at all...

The Cove Balconies are cut out of the hull, not fronted with Plexiglas the way we're used to seeing them.

Take a look at this:

Dream019.jpg

:)

Nope... not corrrect at all...

The Cove Balconies are cut out of the hull, not fronted with Plexiglas the way we're used to seeing them.

Take a look at this:

Dream019.jpg

I wish I had seen your photo before I booked. I pd. $200 more, past passenger rate, to get an 8A. I could not wrap my mind around what a COVE Balcony was...and these pictures look fine. Actually one would have more privacy..and shade from the sun. Carnival should RUN this picture..then they would not have folks calling up with questions like..Is it obstructed? How much on the water is it? Is it like a giant window without glass ( what I thought..could not visualize). Next time..I won't hesitate to book one. They look fine to me.

Hey Mach - that is exactly what I was trying to say but maybe didn't word it correctly :o

and the reason I knew that was from your fantastic Dream review and all the info and pictures you provided. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed it and how it made me all the more excited for my B2B Dream cruises in April!!!

:D

Thanks so much for the kinds words, Anette!

The Dream is gorgeous and the Cove Balconies are amazing... brilliant idea. You'll love your's no doubt.

I wish I had seen your photo before I booked. I pd. $200 more, past passenger rate, to get an 8A. I could not wrap my mind around what a COVE Balcony was...and these pictures look fine. Actually one would have more privacy..and shade from the sun. Carnival should RUN this picture..then they would not have folks calling up with questions like..Is it obstructed? How much on the water is it? Is it like a giant window without glass ( what I thought..could not visualize). Next time..I won't hesitate to book one. They look fine to me.

The Coves are more than fine... I think they're some of the best cabins on the ship.

One thing that's head and shoulders above other balcony cabins is the ability to sit in the chairs and still have a clear view of the sea.

Additionally, lower on the ship equals less movement. In the 30 foot seas that we experienced I'm sure the folk up on the Vista Deck and such were bouncing about pretty good.

I've got one booked for my next sailing on the Dream in November and I'll book the same on the Magic!

The Coves are more than fine... I think they're some of the best cabins on the ship.

One thing that's head and shoulders above other balcony cabins is the ability to sit in the chairs and still have a clear view of the sea.

Additionally, lower on the ship equals less movement. In the 30 foot seas that we experienced I'm sure the folk up on the Vista Deck and such were bouncing about pretty good.

I've got one booked for my next sailing on the Dream in November and I'll book the same on the Magic!

I am sure kicking myself now. Next time I will book it too, if I can. I did get a really good upgrade when I booked the 8A. That is part of a past passenger special Carnival is running right now. I don't know how long it will last, but we were upgraded four levels and got to pick our cabin. We were still able to get a middle ship one too. It is under the pool deck..just a hair..but we have never been bothered by noise..DH is a touch deaf in one ear..and the motion of the ship puts me to sleep almost instantly. Live and learn. Thanks to you....Cove Balcony for me. I would LOVE to try one.

I've read more positive reviews from people who have had cove balconies and more negative reviews from those that had "traditional" balconies on the Dream.

It will be interesting to see if these start to become so popular as more people become aware/familiar with them that the category becomes priced at a premium rather than being the lowest price balcony.

People are not saying for the price this is a nice balcony cabin. They are saying that they really like the cabin/balcony period.

I'm looking forward to checking one out next year on the Magic. :)

I've read more positive reviews from people who have had cove balconies and more negative reviews from those that had "traditional" balconies on the Dream.

It will be interesting to see if these start to become so popular as more people become aware/familiar with them that the category becomes priced at a premium rather than being the lowest price balcony.

People are not saying for the price this is a nice balcony cabin. They are saying that they really like the cabin/balcony period.

I'm looking forward to checking one out next year on the Magic. :)

I thought that too...that they might raise the price. I also thought..after seeing those lovely pictures posted here..why did they not call it a Porch Balcony? Maybe that is just as confusing. But a Cove Balcony sure does not let one picture how nice they are..I like the Shade. The private aspect of it...Well. Now we know. I would assume the Splendor and Magic have them too?

I thought that too...that they might raise the price. I also thought..after seeing those lovely pictures posted here..why did they not call it a Porch Balcony? Maybe that is just as confusing. But a Cove Balcony sure does not let one picture how nice they are..I like the Shade. The private aspect of it...Well. Now we know. I would assume the Splendor and Magic have them too?

No, the Splendor doesn't have Cove balconies but the Magic will...

The Splendor is much more akin to the Conquest Class than the Dream Class. The Splendor is a one off and was originally meant to be a Costa Concordia class ship...

Relatively new to Carnival (2 cruises) and am looking to book a Magic cruise. All set to reserve a cove balcony until my wife said NO. She felt it was too close to the water and she will get sea sick. Not worth arguing with her, so I then began to look at other balconies. I'm a bit unsure about CCL's categories. I'm looking at 8D on Verandah deck. Are they ok? What is the difference between 8A,B,C,...? Is it just location? Thanks for any input. Happy wifey, happy lifey!

I just started a thread about the cove balconies...had I researched just a little bit more, I would've found all of the information I was looking for - right here. Thank you for all of the pictures and detailed information. I have been debating over Princess Emerald vs Carnival Dream, and I think I have finally made up my mind - AND will be booking the Cove balcony. Now I'm excited. hehe

For me - it came down to a great ship, and great entertainment over itinerary. :D

Relatively new to Carnival (2 cruises) and am looking to book a Magic cruise. All set to reserve a cove balcony until my wife said NO. She felt it was too close to the water and she will get sea sick. Not worth arguing with her, so I then began to look at other balconies. I'm a bit unsure about CCL's categories. I'm looking at 8D on Verandah deck. Are they ok? What is the difference between 8A,B,C,...? Is it just location? Thanks for any input. Happy wifey, happy lifey!

Bobby... lower is smoother... The Coves are on the Main Deck... the second passenger deck off the water line...

Trust me... if she's prone to motion sickness the Coves are the place to be...

I was looking at an Oceanview on the March 20th cruising but I called up last night to get my Past Guest number I asked to see what they had available and to my surprise, they had ONE cove balcony available. The last month i have been shopping around for a decent deal, hoping for a last minute deal and there have been no cove balconies available. Someone must have cancelled or something, there lost is my gain. I can't wait!

Probably LESS change of sea sickness in a cove balcony. The water is not that close and they really are great. Loved #2309 on The Dream last December. Good luck, someday, with the wife!

Archived