Have you shorted RCCL stock yet?

tazdeb

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/article.aspx?Feed=PR&Date=20100128&ID=11067543&Symbol=RCL Looks like revenues did not increase year over year, but increase bookings (but at disconted prices) are keeping RCL profitable. Also cost cutting measures seemed to work, although these cost cutting moves do have an effect on the overall cruise experience. It will be interesting to see what Carnivals quarter looked like. If they are down, get ready for fare wars.

I didn't see anywhere in that article where it said "discounted prices" were the reason for RCI profits.

It noted the reason for beating the analyst predictions were: improving booking environment; stronger than expected revenues and continued good cost discipline.

I believe CCL already announced their 4th quarter and although made a profit too, I believe they did not meet analyst forecast. I'm not 100% sure about that though.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10665098/3/panera-estee-lauder-carnival-hit-highs.html Carnival had a bad quarter but still resumed thier dividend. Notice both 2010 companies forecasts depend on fuel prices staying the same. RCl fuel is hedged but if you notice the price per gallon today it is near the rate they say they can add a fuel charge to your ticket. If they did this they obviously could make more of a profit but at what long term cost to the marketplace?

http://www.thestreet.com/story/10649306/1/carnival-4q-profit-on-weak-pricing.html Looks like Mr Fains decision to not cut fares too much (and to cost cut on food, pillow chocolates etc...) was the right call. However, this was before the Oasis/Allure berths become a weekly thing. If fuel does increase and the economy stays down I think Rcl will have to move more ships out of America and to foriegn ports. This will be bad for those of us who like smaller ships.

I enjoy reading the stock threads - post away tazdeb.

slk300 - stock was in the thread title - if you don't like it then don't read or comment.

BTW - it was a thread about RCL stock hitting a low of $5 last March that made me realize the stock market had hit bottom. I'm now up 224% on RCL and still gaining. I personally would not be brave enough to short RCL stock.

Go RCL!

Archived