Just got back off Oceana!

C at Sea

Just getting used to the cold again after fabulous weather on Oceana's Panama cruise!:(

Had a really brilliant time so much so just booked for another Caribbean cruise end of next Feb on Oceana again.:o

Quite ironic really as we were apprehensive because we sailed on Oceana for a weeks cruise in August and we were not too happy. Wasn't our favourite cruise lets just say! Perhaps it was because it was a week cruise in the summer hols, I dont know but this last two weeks was like being on a totally different ship! It was like we have come to expect of P.O. and everyone was very friendly. Other people on our table were lovely and hello to Ann, Tom, Lynn, Tony if you are reading this and thanks again to the kind man who bought my husband a lunchtime drink to celebrate his birthday as we transitted the Canal.:o

Captain Hamish Reid was a scream and the theatre company one of best weve seen and weve seen 15 of them!

The ports were interesting especially the Panama Canal crossing. One thing I would have done differently was to book trips in advance because there wasnt really anything in the vicinity of the ships at most ports and we found the natives a bit intimidating! I understand the poverty in these regions but it was like running the gauntlet when we got off the ship!

How I agree with you, Gerry. One of our favourite places in the world is Nice, and one of our very sad hobbies when there is sitting and watching the cruise ship passengers all miserably following a fierce-looking person armed with a pole, who rushes them past everything of interest in the headlong dash for something dreary/tacky.

Mary

How I agree with you, Gerry. One of our favourite places in the world is Nice, and one of our very sad hobbies when there is sitting and watching the cruise ship passengers all miserably following a fierce-looking person armed with a pole, who rushes them past everything of interest in the headlong dash for something dreary/tacky.

Mary

I completely agree about both Nice and the sheep.

Also agree about Hamish Reid. One of the best and he does not suffer fools. We could do with more like him.

:)

There are places to do your own & places not to. Not everyone is able to go it alone, some physically, others can't cope with it, some think "I'm on holiday, let someone else organise it." Some people really like organised trips with no worries.

Hi

We are joining Oceana on 5th March, could you tell me if it's best to take US dollars for local currency or will we need bits of different currencies for each country? Also did you get passport stamps in each place? I have a new, bare passport which I am keen to get some exotic stamps in!

Thanks

Hi

We are joining Oceana on 5th March, could you tell me if it's best to take US dollars for local currency or will we need bits of different currencies for each country? Also did you get passport stamps in each place? I have a new, bare passport which I am keen to get some exotic stamps in!

Thanks

Hope you get your answer from the person you asked, but in the meantime.....US$ are accepted all over the Caribbean, you will probably get change in local, do make sure you know the exchange rates for the individual islands & which currency you are quoted in. One good thing about P&O is you can draw currencies against your onboard account, so you don't need to take that much cash with you. You can also use ATM(with care) on land, or your plastic for larger items.

PS they tend not to stamp passports, but then they may...it's odd, you don't seem to go through immigration.

Hi

Also did you get passport stamps in each place? I have a new, bare passport which I am keen to get some exotic stamps in!

Thanks

On a two week Barbados/Barbados cruise the only time you get your passport stamped is on the ship on the morning you return to Barbados.

BTW get as many low denomination dollar bills as you can and if you do need change ask for it in US

Sorry for a late reply. Had a big Birthday Party and so was very preoccupied! We just bought currency(dollars) onboard ship as and when needed. Dollars widely accepted across Caribbean and Mexico. Had passports stamped in Acapulco by Immigration authorities onboard ship before going ashore. Not stamped anywhere else.

Hi Carolyn & Peter, sorry for the belated reply to your post. I followed your advice and checked out Cruise Critic as soon as we got home thinking we could email you direct only to find that this facility is no longer available. We thouroughly enjoyed our cruise on Oceana and your great company at dinner together with Tom and Ann. Hope Peter enjoyed his party on shore as well as the one on board. It seems ages ago that we were being wined and dined on board in such great weather, could do with a bit more of that now!

Enjoy your future cruises, we haven't booked ours yet but we must do another one this year if possible to celebrate the same landmark as Peter!! In the meantime I will try and navigate around Cruise Critic and all it has to offer! Love Tony & Lyn.

I will probably get shouted at again, but publishing your name & email on the open internet is not wise, in my opinion.

Agree. at least use nameatdomaindotcom format rather than email addresses.

If you search on yahoo/google cruise critic threads regularly appear in the top ten.

Webbots trawl these and find valid email addresses and add them to spam lists..

Hi!

CarolyneCadman@hotmail.co.uk

If you feel like a chat!

OOOH no, Not a good idea to put your email address on a public forum, I did that once on here and got lots of spam emails soon after which I never got before....not to mention you may get 'unwanted emails' as well.... I would ask the moderator to remove your post if the edit button has already disappeared.

Archived