Passports or photocopy for ports of call.

TluvK

Hi, Can I just bring a copy of my passport to the ports of call, or do I have to bring my actual passport? I'd rather not carry my actual passport everywhere.

Thanks

Welcome to CC.. there are many answers to this question.. do a search.. many like to bring their passport with them.. others prefer not too.. it is a personal decision...;)

You are required to bring your sail and sign card and a photo ID. Your passport or a drivers license are the most common forms of photo ID. You will need your passport to re-enter the USA after your cruise. You do not need your passport to enter any of the port calls on a closed loop Carnival cruise.

If you miss the ship in a port call you will need your passport to book a flight to the next port or back to the USA. If you bring your passport ashore and it is lost, stolen or mutilated you are completely screwed. Some posters here swear that their passports are indestructible and cannot be lost, stolen or multilated, other passengers claim it is impossible to miss the ship. I think both positions are flawed as we all know anything's possible.:)

You need to weigh the risks and decide which is the proper thing for you to do.

You are required to bring your sail and sign card and a photo ID. Your passport or a drivers license are the most common forms of photo ID. You will need your passport to re-enter the USA after your cruise. You do not need your passport to enter any of the port calls on a closed loop Carnival cruise.

If you miss the ship in a port call you will need your passport to book a flight to the next port or back to the USA. If you bring your passport ashore and it is lost, stolen or mutilated you are completely screwed. Some posters here swear that their passports are indestructible and cannot be lost, stolen or multilated, other passengers claim it is impossible to miss the ship. I think both positions are flawed as we all know anything's possible.:)

You need to weigh the risks and decide which is the proper thing for you to do.

Maybe I'm just tired, but you don't need your passport to get off the ship after the cruise is over that I can recall, anyhow. :)

Maybe I'm just tired, but you don't need your passport to get off the ship after the cruise is over that I can recall, anyhow. :)

Hmmm.......I'll bite. :)

To enter the USA after a closed loop cruise you need a passport, or a birth certificate and a government issued photo ID.

If you are using the birth certificate/photo ID to cruise, taking a passport with you ashore is a rather moot point no?

Hmmm.......I'll bite. :)

To enter the USA after a closed loop cruise you need a passport, or a birth certificate and a government issued photo ID.

If you are using the birth certificate/photo ID to cruise, taking a passport with you ashore is a rather moot point no?

I just don't recall showing any sort of ID when disembarking. It's been a year since my last cruise though, so I'm probably wrong! :D

Through customs...yes I remember that...just not getting off the ship. :o

Legally you have not re-entered the United States until you have cleared Immigrations which is where you stand in line to show proof of citizenship.

You may not physically be on the ship, but you belong to the ship.

Legally you have not re-entered the United States until you have cleared Immigrations which is where you stand in line to show proof of citizenship.

You may not physically be on the ship, but you belong to the ship.

I'd love to belong to a ship, then maybe they'd let me stay forever! :D

I totally misread that earlier. I need to sleep more and post less, I guess! :)

We take our passports off the ship in ports. A copy won't help you. If you were injured, in an accident, miss the ship or arrested you would need your passport. Most of the ports of call are foreign countries with different laws and legal rights. My dh travels overseas for work a lot and it is just wise to have it with you.

This is what I read on another post:

"Ship Security searches their cabin for passports and valuables, and secures them.

Passports go to the port agent before we depart. Agent arranges visas for those left behind.

The port agent assists in getting the tardy passengers back to our home port (At passenger's expense).

Cabin steward packs up their belongings.

The suitcases are offloaded and waiting at Customs when the passengers come to pick them up."

Upon leaving the ship you need to know who the port agent is and how to contact them which is listed in the Capers. So to me there is more of a chance of losing or damaging the passport.

just another reason i only book shore excursions from the ship... not worth saving the extra 20 bucks to me to deal with all the what ifs.. this is my opinion only, as i know there are tons of people who book independant, and nothing has ever happened. but as an insurance agent who lives and breathes accidents everyday.. accidents are just that.. i dont carry my passport just the DL and the sign and sail.. on a ship sponsored tour, its the ships responsibility to get you to and from and if your injured during it, they will get you back to the ships medic...happened to friends of mine who did mr sanchos, fell on glass gashed foot open needed stitches.. ship sponsored excursion, rushed him right back tot he ship he was stitched up and went on about vacation..

This is why I have both a passport book and a passport card. The book stays in my cabin safe and the card is with me at all times.

The card isn't any more helpful than a photocopy of the book if you miss the ship in a port call. (Unless you miss the ship in Ensenada and plan to take a bus back to San Diego)

Archived