Am I going to second-guess myself for the next 430 days?

stargate fan

My husband and I were at a travel expo a few weeks ago. We found a Carnival Splendor cruise to Mexican Riviera for April 2011 that intrigued us. After negotiations, we booked the cruise, and paid an incredibly great price.

Now I keep second-guessing myself, even though I have read great things about Splendor:

*We've never booked ES before. I feel like I now have no control over the cruise. (I am a control freak.)

*We haven't booked with a TA since our very first cruise, though I have so far had positive experiences with this TA.

*We did buy insurance the same day, in case of family emergency. (We always buy insurance because we have elderly parents and worry about their health.)

*I worry that the weather and water in the Mexican Riviera might not be warm enough in April for swimming. We have only sailed the Caribbean and the weather was always perfect.

*I have been dying to cruise Oasis of the Seas. We were able to price that cruise the same day, but it was more than double the price PER PERSON than Splendor. The two of us are cruising for less than the price of one person on Oasis.

I should look on the positive side - we can take two Carnival cruises instead of one other cruise line cruise.

I am driving myself, and my husband, crazy.

Thanks for reading.

Since you booked ES rate, the deposit is non refundable which should nail it down. It would cost too much to cancel since you arent thinking of just wanting to rebook another Carnival ship and pay the $50 pp fee.

$250 pp is at stake, which to me when you book ES you better be very very very sure about the date and ship etc or dont book ES.

Since you booked ES rate, the deposit is non refundable which should nail it down. It would cost too much to cancel since you arent thinking of just wanting to rebook another Carnival ship and pay the $50 pp fee.

$250 pp is at stake, which to me when you book ES you better be very very very sure about the date and ship etc or dont book ES.

Not helpful, but thanks for reading my thread.

I know all the rules of ES, but am nervous since we have never booked it before. I am being a Nervous Nellie.

Yes, based on what you said, I believe you will be second-guessing from now to the cruise :D!

How's that for a direct answer?

Exactly what I need to hear. Thanks for the honesty.

Now, how do I stop myself? (Funny, I have a BA in Psychology...I should figure myself out.:rolleyes:)

I am currently enrolled in a Travel and Tourism program at a local college. I am taking "Cruise Sales" this semester. Last night we watched ads for many cruise lines. Every time a new one came on, I thought, "I should have booked that cruise instead."

I know all the rules of ES, but am nervous since we have never booked it before. I am being a Nervous Nellie.

Well, you would be surprised how many people come on here later and have questions about ES that they probably said the same thing, they knew the rules.

Like no name changes.

Wait to cancel until you know what you want to book, because the 1 year doesnt start until the date you cancel ... so if you cancel too soon, you might have a hard time rebooking during the 1 year.

There are some small points that people question later on. ..by people who knew the basics.

Sorry my reply you found non helpfull. Kind of rude to tell someone they are not being helpfull in their reply. Ill keep my distance if you have questions later on.

Everyone second guesses themselves Id bet.

Relax. All those other cruises you "should" have booked - You can do next and next and next. You will have a great time and yes the water will be warm enough to swim. Redirect your energy to checking out the ports.:D Have fun!

Perfect.

I can feel the anxiety floating away now. Thanks.

I say don't worry !! We booked early saver and my concern was my job,I run a store so even looking forward to next week can be worry some! Thing is we saved a lot of money booking early saver.....and now a week before we sail we are getting price drops!!!! We have 210.00 o.b.c!!

I love the Caribbean far more than the Mexican Riviera but my husband and I are also looking at that ship for the same reason cost!! We are even looking at Feb 2011.(cold)

We do Mex a lot because we are in Arizona. We love it too! Just like the Caribbean more. The last 2 short cruises we did were Mexico. We had a blast .

I think the Mexican Riviera cruise the longer ones go where it is warmer so you might start out chili but it will get warm !!

Any way good luck

We booked Early Saver for our Splendor cruise coming up in March. When I booked the TA told me over and over, be sure you will not have to make any changes. This trip was booked, myself, my parents.

Stepdad is 82, not getting around very good anymore, on last Golden Princess 14 day cruise, he stayed in the cabin except to eat. Sitting on a hardback chair for more than half the cruise.

So he said cancel him on the Splendor. His portion of the cruise was something like $629, Carnival gave $200 of that as Future Cruise credit, minus the deposit of $250 and credited the rest back to him. And thankfully he was booked or seen as the 3rd person in cabin.

I was surprised they did that much I thought we would lose the whole amount because of some hidden rule.

Because of this experience I don't think I would book early saver again. Had a price drop, TA sent it in and we didn't get the price drop. Not sure what happened. I just let it go. If I did the ES again, I would book directly with Carnival though.

Not trying to scare you but we did get a little bit back.

We cruised to Mexican Riviera last March. I'm not sure if the water was cold or not but the weather was very warm. There were a lot of people on the beaches and in the water.

Sea days could be chilly on way down and back up.

I cannot wait to see the Splendor.

Don't worry, it will all be fine!

We just got off the splendor (Jan/10/2010) and had a great time. The first two days at sea were very warm, saw lots of red sunburned faces in the dining room the firsts two days.

The water in PV, Maz and Cabo was warm enough for me to swim.

We booked the ES rate for this cruise about 300 days out and did not regret it, we had an obc of $380 when all was said and done with the price reductions.

My signature has a link to the capers for the cruise and another link for my review.

Its a long way out, but I am sure it will be a great cruise!

We've done the Mexican Riviera in April before. The weather was warm, and the water was fine for swimming. The water is warmer in December, when we have also cruised the Mex. Riviera, but for us it wasn't a problem. The water will definately not be as warm as the Caribbean though.

Do what I do when I second guess myself, just book another trip. :-) Then you have two to look forward to.

This is an excellent thread. The OP posted some very valid concerns. I had some solid thoughts on a couple of the questions, but then I got to thinking. What if I give her the wrong advice? I don't want to screw her up. But I really believe in the answers I will give her. Then again, everyone is different and have their own opinions. Huh?

I so don't worry about ES fares...so you save quite a bit of money on your fares but if you have to change/cancel, you need to use your deposit funds within a year, less $50/person.

Did you save at least $50/person on the price you booked at over fun select or any other booking type? Would you be able to cruise within a year of canceling?

If the answers to those two questions are yes, then you have nothing to worry about, especially since you purchased insurance (to cover if one of you medically were unable to cruise for your booked cruise or ever again due to an untimely death etc.)

Really next April is not that far away. I booked a cruise for December 2010 in November of last year...it was well over a year to sailing....and I booked it ES. If I have to change, oh well, I still saved over the other types of bookings, and I saved well over $50/person.

Just my $.02. YMMV.

I think you will love mexico in April!! It will be wonderful weather. And although the water will be cooler than the caribbean, it is still very nice. Go enjoy, and cruise twice on Carnival for the price of one on another line!!

ES just means that you got a great deal, and have the piece of mind that if there is a price drop, then you get it while others may not.

Have a great cruise!

I personally haven't had a problem with ES thus far (one ES cruise down, just booked our next one with ES as well).

I say if you're happy with the price you paid, even if the weather is a bit chilly, there's plenty to enjoy on the ship and in port with clothes on. ;) Do your homework on the ports and come up with a back up plan for each one incase it's too chilly for your liking. :D

Archived