Carnival Stigma?

rbird

I got off the Glory on Sunday and I can tell you that 50% of the ship and more was over the age of 50. It seems that one retirement community in Florida had FIVE greyhound buses with their group. I had a table in the back dining room and I can safely say that the under 50's were a visbile minority because there were a lot of mature adults/retirees on the ship!

The ship had approximately 3150 passengers and only 300 of those were kids from 0-18! Most cruises I have gone on have averaged 600 kids!

After cruising with Carnival 6 or 7 times, we decided to give RCCL a try, since we kept hearing how much better it was, etc, etc. Well, we went on the Mariner of the Seas, and I must say, we were disappointed. We really expected a much better experience, food, entertainment, service, and cabins. It was the same! The decor was prettier but the food was not as quite as good. Hearing all the stories of how much better RCCL is got our expectations too high and we spent the whole cruise comparing RCCL to CCL. We have since sailed 7 more cruises with RCCL and went with realistic expectations. As long as the price and itinerary is what we are looking for, we will cruise either line.

Catching alot of flack here for booking a cruise on Carnival. I thought some of stigma associated w/ CCL had quieted down over the years. Yet still, I keep hearing, "I won't do CCL, to much party and drinking." Definately wouldn't take the kid's on that ship. :confused:DH and I aren't big drinkers but enjoy live music and entertainment.

Please reassure me regarding CCL. We booked w/ them this time because the ship is 30 minutes from our house, worked for our school schedule, and yes...budget friendly. I'm tired of watching the ship sail by every weekend without me on it! We could have tried RCI or Celebrity too but figured why not give Carnival a try. This cruise is our first on Carnival, first time in a balcony cabin and first time trying your time dining. I keep telling myself that vacation is what you make of it. I sure hope I'm right.

Hype and jealousy... chalk it up to that.

The leader in any industry is going to become a target.

When people roll their eyes and become instantly condescending when I tell them I cruise on Carnival one question ends the issue... 'Have you ever sailed on a Carnival ship?' The answer is always no.

I can't tell you how many people have posted here, coming over from other cruise lines, to tell us what a great experience it was and, equally, what a great value.

Forget the naysayers... When you come home tanned with a huge smile on your face and dollars in your pocket you'll understand as well...

:)

Go, have a great time, and don't worry about what the uninformed have to say. I'm one of those people Mach is talking about that had a great time on my first Carnival cruise. Were there things I didn't like as well as RCL or Princess? Yes, but there were also many things that I thought were much better! Have an open mind, don't expect everything to be exactly what you're used to, and I bet you'll have a great time.

Catching alot of flack here for booking a cruise on Carnival. I thought some of stigma associated w/ CCL had quieted down over the years. Yet still, I keep hearing, "I won't do CCL, to much party and drinking." Definately wouldn't take the kid's on that ship. :confused:DH and I aren't big drinkers but enjoy live music and entertainment.

Please reassure me regarding CCL. We booked w/ them this time because the ship is 30 minutes from our house, worked for our school schedule, and yes...budget friendly. I'm tired of watching the ship sail by every weekend without me on it! We could have tried RCI or Celebrity too but figured why not give Carnival a try. This cruise is our first on Carnival, first time in a balcony cabin and first time trying your time dining. I keep telling myself that vacation is what you make of it. I sure hope I'm right.

I would bet that most of the people who make statements like that never set foot on a Carnival ship.

:p

This will be our 3rd Carnival Cruise in April. The other 2 have been perfectly smooth. If there was alot of partying and drinking, it was not really a big deal and I'm sure we would have noticed it. We sail with what fits our schedule also and so far we are very, very happy with Carnival. Enjoy!!

Please come back and tell us what a wonderful time you had. DH, DD and I started cruising when our DD was 14. We've cruised CCL and Disney ( for the sake of our daughter...so we thouhgt) we quickly returned to CC as soon as possible...nothing against Disney, it was magical. BUT...we sometimes like to eat late at night, hang out a little bit etc. and the seven drawfs were a little much after awhile :( However, on CCL, if and when we chose to turn in early, noise, rowdyness etc has never been a problem. I have not experience anyone doing anything that I would be ashamed to have my daughter or elderly parents witness...hence dad 94 and mom 86 had a lovely time with us on the Ecstasy. My mom in law had such a great time on CCL she now includes herself on a yearly cruise with us... DH makes up to me with a 2nd cruise just for us....works for me:p So have yourself a worry free wonderful time and tell us about about it.

eor my 27th Carnival..since Fall, '06..and some in between..Never seen an unruly drunk/s, but an obnoxious senior dude, bout missing a port!..I'm doing HAL in May TA to Spain, then day after arv'l a 7 day Costa..all CCL products..looking fwd to the diff kind of cruzin

CCL has the best kids program afloat. It is the least expensive cruise line. If you are a snob it's not the line for you. On my last cruise and I'm taking 4 CCL cruises this year the folks at my dinner table were from many different financial "classes". They included a trucker, a retired doctor, a walmart worker, 2 teachers, a librarian, a factory worker and a retired nurse. We had great dinner conversations and represented typical Americans from different areas of the country. CCL is great because it is available to most Americans. We are a wonderful country because we are a nation of opportunity and CCL represents this same openness. I've been on most of the major cruise lines and guess what there are drunks on all of them. People party on holidays-sometimes too much.

If you look at our signature you will see our first 8 or 9 cruises were on Ncl and RCCL..We were told that we would not like Carnival but the first time we tried them we met some great people AND had a great time...But we still try NCL but I will not go to RCCL and pay the fares they charge...Dennis

First, congratulations on having the good fortune to have a 'home port' so close to home. We are about 1 hour from New Orleans, and love the fact we can 'drive' to Galveston/ New Orleans/ Mobile easily, and have even done the drive to Jacksonville, FL to catch a Carnival ship. We have cruised Commodore (no longer in business) Premier (now Disney) Celebrity, Princess and multiple times on Carnival. Your statement of fact that "vacation is what you make it" makes me very confident you will love your cruise on CCL. If you read the boards here on CC, for nearly every line, there seem to be more distractors than supporters. Our next cruise is this April on the NCL Pride of America doing Hawaii... which we selected 100% based on the inter-island cruise options. The worst cruise we've EVER been on was still a wonderful vacation. Relax, enjoy, and take great pleasure in proving all the 'negative naybobs' wrong. Bon Voyage!

How fo you return with money in your pockets. That is one trick I have not mastered. lol

Hype and jealousy... chalk it up to that.

The leader in any industry is going to become a target.

When people roll their eyes and become instantly condescending when I tell them I cruise on Carnival one question ends the issue... 'Have you ever sailed on a Carnival ship?' The answer is always no.

I can't tell you how many people have posted here, coming over from other cruise lines, to tell us what a great experience it was and, equally, what a great value.

Forget the naysayers... When you come home tanned with a huge smile on your face and dollars in your pocket you'll understand as well...

:)

I do admit that I usually lean towards RCCL because I like the design and flow of their ships better but I am days away from booking the Carnival Magic to Europe because, for the same itinerary, will save me approx. $2000 over the Brilliance on RCCL.

Those words could have come out of my mouth. I completely agree. In fact, I have already booked on the Magic. I sailed on Brilliance in the Mediterranean in 2005. Wonderful ship and adventurous cruise to the Greek Islands. I still prefer RCI, but the pricing advantage on Magic is too good to pass up, and that includes my discount as a Diamond with RCI.

We are heading on our fourth cruise in a few days (Feb. 13/Carnival Dream) and are in full antisapation of a very good time. We are non drinkers and have seen a few tipsi people ( try and avoid that anywhere you vacation and let me know how it turns out!) but have never been bothered by an noise or people on the cruise. As others have said, the key is when you travel. Avoid the Spring break crowd if you can. We go in mid Feb.although our first cruise was in Jan./07 and I was shocked to hear that there were like 700 kids on board! Never heard a peep from any of them. Friends of our cruise usually in April which is when a lot of kids are taking exams or preparing for graduation so none of the college break problems there either. Yes, there have been small instances on each sailing but nothing that wouldn't have happened at a resort/restaurant/spa etc. I found a thick black hair in my chocolate cake once and when I brought it to the attention to the lunchtime waiter, he didn't say anything but went and got me another piece of cake. I tried not to embarass him by keeping my voice low but never heard a "I'm sorry Mame" or anything. I told him (nicely) that I really didn't want another piece of cake and sent it back. Oh, well stuff happens.Other than that, anything else that happened was really a mole hill that some people turn into a mountain. Once a lady said that she couldn't believe that they served the same thing for breakfast every morning. I take it she had over a hundred different choices at home just like she had on the shipLOL! If we so encounter any difficulties though I would immediately go to our CD and ask him/her to help us out. And remember. Treat the staff the way you want to be treated. We always learn our stewards name as well as our wait staff. Happy cruising everyone!!

7 Carnival cruises down and 1 more on the books for April 2010. My son who is 10 has already done 5 and will be going on his 6th Carnival Cruise. Carnival has been wonderful for us. My 2 older children grew up going on Carnival and we have all loved it. Everything from Camp Carnival for the kids to the entertainment and food.

Our cruises have been so great, that we don't even have any desire to cruise another cruise line. Why pay more if you don't have to. I've found that no matter where you are, there are people that will have fun and people that won't. You have to decide for yourself if you are going to have fun. Once you decide that, Carnival has everything needed to make it happen.

P.S. Me and my DW go to bed before 11:00 p.m., and we have never experienced "too much" partying.:D

We sailed Carnival on our first three cruises, starting in 1991. Our last two cruises were aboard Celebrity M Class ships and they were very enjoyable. This fall we're sailing Carnival Spirit on a B2B to Hawaii and are looking forward to introducing the Fun Ship to the rest of the family. There will be eight of us on this cruise and we expect to have just as much fun as we did three years ago when we sailed the Panama Canal aboard Celebrity Infinity.

Are the two cruise lines different? Yes! But, the differences are small, and the similarities large. I choose a cruise based upon price, itinerary, and the people I'm cruising with, and Carnival offered the best of all when choosing a cruise to Hawaii. We are able to do the 24-day, B2B cruise for less cost than the 14 or 15-day cruises with Holland America and Princess. For eight people, it is more than $5,000 less, plus $1,000 in OBC. By the way, my wife and I are in our mid 50s, and the rest of the family range from 50 - 73.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

P.S. Information is good, and good information is invaluable!

This subject always cracks me up. Anyone that would look down on a Carnival cruiser reinforces why I love cruising on Carnival... down to earth people, plain and simple.

Let's take a family of 4 for example. Two parents and two kids.

7 day "frat boat" cruise.......

Flights.... $1500

1 Balcony/1 inside $3000

Spending money $2500

Me sitting at the bar with the down to earth parents who just dropped $7000+ for a week away.....priceless

I'd rather strangle myself with the sweater tied around the neck of an "upscale cruiser" on a "better cruise line" than cruise on Carnival

OK! Count me as someone who is totally confused by your post. You say at the beginning, "I love cruising on Carnival," and then at the end you say, "I'd rather strangle myself...than cruise on Carnival." So, which is it?

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

I was a RCCL fan back in the late 90's early 2000 when I decided to give CCL a try. I'M VERY, VERY HAPPY that I made the change. Now, I enjoyed our RCCL cruises, and if it just so happened that the right cruise at the right price became available, I might would sail RCCL again. However, despite 8 cruises, I've only encountered one true problem with other guests, and I'll tell you is was NOT on a CCL ship....

People take cruises to enjoy themselves, relax, and sometimes party a little more than usual. I think they call this a vacation. Try going to any beach or other resort and not finding the same thing.

Leave your worries behind and have an excellent cruise!!

This is so funny. I have cruised 26 times, 15 CCL (last on C.Dream Trans-Atlantic, Best trip) 3 RC Great times and fun 2 Princess, because they cruised to different areas. 1 Costa, 1 NCL, 4 Regency....not once had a bad time with passengers or crew. One bad experience with a hot water leak in a main pipe, which earned us a 25% discount on a future cruise. Again, we were flexible and the cruise line did their best. In fact, I think you get what you give. The differences are few, better food/Carnival- better cabins/Carnival-better crew/Carnival- We do try different lines to get to different areas such as Princess around Tahiti 10 days. RC was with friends twice and the third was on 160000 ton Liberty since we liked sister ship Freedom o.t. Seas so much. (they had Johnny Rockets burgers) They all have so much to offer. Carnivals price for a balcony is HALF the cost of Royal C. My bang for buck is going to Carnival. btw we are booked on Celebrity Infinity for Panama Canal the end of March 2010, cannot wait to see what they have to offer. since another favorite memory is 2001 C.Spirit thru the Panama Canal. Good cruisin' to everyone.

. . . . . DH and I aren't big drinkers but enjoy live music and entertainment.

Please reassure me regarding CCL. We booked w/ them this time because the ship is 30 minutes from our house, worked for our school schedule, and yes...budget friendly. I'm tired of watching the ship sail by every weekend without me on it! We could have tried RCI or Celebrity too but figured why not give Carnival a try. This cruise is our first on Carnival, first time in a balcony cabin and first time trying your time dining.

You listed five good reasons to go, and not one to stay behind. Seems like you've made up your own mind - and I'd agree with you.

Vacation for your own reason's - not someone elses. My 2 cents.....

What a great thread!!!

Never cruised any line but CCL, but then..........they have never given us any reason to look elsewhere. Our CCL cruises have always met or exceeded our needs and expectations, particularly for the price.

I agree with others on here, if it is a quieter and more sober cruise you are looking for.....book 7 day or longer and avoid the college spring break season.

If kids bother you, avoid summer cruises.

We take our annual cruise based on our children's school spring break. Lucky for us, it seems to be later than most (early-mid April) and well after the traditional college spring break season.

Have we encountered drunk and rowdy passengers......yes......but never to a point that it caused us a problem.

The same with rowdy and unruly children.

Actually, I have to say that rude and obnoxious SOBER adults are much more likely to be a problem (what ever happened to manners and common courtesy anyway......) than either of the above. But that has been my experience on land-based vacations as well, and I doubt it's exclusive to CCL.

We will continue to cruise CCL for several reasons.

Price

Value

GREAT FOOD

Port locations (at least 5 US departure ports within easy driving distance)

Wonderful crew providing attentive service with a smile.

Also.....we are halfway to Platinum now.......:)

I'm not saying that I would never cruise another line.........I'd LOVE to do a transatlantic on QM2 if the price was right.......but for now........CCL all the way for us.

'nuff said.

I would bet that most of the people who make statements like that never set foot on a Carnival ship.

I've found it disturbing when getting quotes from various TAs, that they seem to be the ones who have nothing nice to say about CCL. It was my understanding that CCL is one of the most liberal as to commission structure, so im not sure why some TAs (from large, respected companies) are biting the hand that feeds. I 'get' that they'd make more money on a pricier cruise, but i find it very off putting to hear them run down a ship, despite not sailing on it or on CCL for many years:confused:

Interesting that CCL has one of the most restrictive alcohol policies among the major lines in Atlantic waters...even Disney permits alchol for 18 y.o. kids if parents sign a release. You can't say they're not trying to put the spring break stigma of past behind them.

Speaking of DCL, there have i witnessed the sloppiest drunks:rolleyes:, im thinking amatuer night & they just don't know how to handle their booze?

I've found it disturbing when getting quotes from various TAs, that they seem to be the ones who have nothing nice to say about CCL. It was my understanding that CCL is one of the most liberal as to commission structure, so im not sure why some TAs (from large, respected companies) are biting the hand that feeds.

My TA's been trying to push me onto Royal Caribbean for years. If the fare's twice as much, so is the commission. I don't even call him anymore - I'm tired of hearing how bad my decision is - he talked himself right out of a client.

Once you've made up your mind, the only thing the TA should say is "Thank you for working with my company," not "we gotta get you to try Royal Caribbean next time."

It is funny this thread came about at this time...

This happened to me yesterday in the market...

I was looking at something on a shelf and a few feet away from me there were two workers talking about cruising. One had never been on a cruise and the other had. The one that had all of a sudden said "stay way from carnival":eek: Non of my business but...I said have you ever been on a Carnival cruise....he said no:cool: I said don't knock it until you try it,

and then continued on my way:D

OP checking in here...

Thx again for all the replies. I am really looking forward to our vacation now. As you can tell we haven't been a repeat on any cruise line. Not because we wouldn't want to but there are just to many other ships to try. We've got a 7 day cruise for a fabulous price at thanksgiving. My kids are 13 and 10yr old boys, who eat like there's no tomorrow- kwim.

Cruise vacations are a good choice for us since they can do there thing and DH and I can have fun with and without the kid's. Thrilled about the balcony. I usually cruise on the bottom decks with a port hole happily. The best part may indeed be driving 30 minutes to the ship and bringing whatever luggage I want without having to worry about it costing a fortune to check at the A/P.:D

Archived