First time Princess Line and Alaska

sladesboy

Just joined and this is my first posting. We're staying in Seattle a few nights before joining the Golden Princess on the 5th June for the cruise. Although we've cruised in Europe, this will be our first time in Alaska so what tips on what not to miss etc. We're generally independant and book locally when we dock, but sometimes on our past cruises, I wonder if we've "missed out" on something by not taking an organised tour. Your thoughts and tips will be appreciated and we're from the UK if that helps.

Welcome Aboard. Check out the 'Ports of Call" section for more info on Alaska than you'll ever need. Lots of Alaska stuff can be booked on the dock but some of the best things should be done in advance. My top recommendations would be:

Ketchican Misty Fjords flight with Island Winds

Juneau Whale watching with Capt Larry / Orca Enterprises

Skagway Drive into the Yukon or take the RR

Just joined and this is my first posting. We're staying in Seattle a few nights before joining the Golden Princess on the 5th June for the cruise. Although we've cruised in Europe, this will be our first time in Alaska so what tips on what not to miss etc. We're generally independant and book locally when we dock, but sometimes on our past cruises, I wonder if we've "missed out" on something by not taking an organised tour. Your thoughts and tips will be appreciated and we're from the UK if that helps.

Welcome!! Check out me Golden Alaska cruise photos from last June.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1022921&highlight=alaska+redone

After 3 cruises to Alaska, my advice to you is to get out of town, particularly in Juneau and Skagway. The towns are worthy of seeing and spending some time there but don't just stay in town. The best sights to see are away from town.

Our favorite AK excursions were (1) floatplane to Taku Lodge in Juneau and (2) renting a car from Avis in Skagway and driving into the Yukon. The 1st is expensive (close to $300pp) but the second is cheap (about $100-$150 for a car full).

Remember, expect rain and be prepared with a breathable, waterproof jacket (such as Gore-tex or Tek2) and bring clothing to dress in layers.

I have lots of pictures at the link below including Taku and the Yukon. Alaska is beautiful. You will love it!

We loved the glacier trek in Juneau. Helicopter to a glacier donned in gear , crampons and ice pick and walked all around on a glacier. One of my favorite excursions ever. It was expensive when we did it a few years ago and likely still is a bit pricey. I thought it was worth the money

Juneau, flightseeing to "Taku Lodge". It was one of the best we have ever done. :)

We loved whale watching in Juneau with Harv and Marv's (private company, not contracted thru the ship), flightseeing with Michelle of Island Wings in Ketchikan, and Rhino 4X4 or kayaking in Sitka (but not sure if you sail to Sitka???). For Skagway, we'll be going there for our first time this year and have rented a car to drive ourselves using Murray's Guide. We will stop when and where we want for scenic vistas, wildlife and some hiking. You will just LOVE Alaska and all the spectacular scenery and wildlife it has to offer. Enjoy!

I absolutely agree with what Judynorth and Colo Cruiser said about the floatplane excursion in Juneau to the Taku Lodge. That was really a great one and I'm so glad that my family did it. As far as other excursions in the port cities, my cruise was from Vancouver to Whittier, so I'm sure that the itineraries are at least somewhat different. There weren't really any that stood out to me as much as the Taku Lodge floatplane, but a whole lot of what's great about an Alaska cruise isn't just the port cities and shore excursions (though those are great too) but also the trip itself and all of the amazing sights that you'll see when the ship goes to the glaciers and everything. No matter your choices of shore excursions, I'm sure you'll have a great time on the trip :D Happy cruising!

Alaska is sooooo addictive. Our next trip will be #5. But Alaska can be very expensive also so do a lot of planning and reading. The Alaska board is packed full of information by a lot of very knowledgeable people.

We're sailing Alaska on Island Princess in July. I'm booking all my excursions independently but if you plan to book anything, you should do so in advance, not when you dock. There are independent activities that are already sold out now for July.

I would also highly recommend checking out the Alaska board! Everyone there is extremely helpful and can help you save lots of money as well.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Welcome, we went last year in may if you partake you need to have DuckFarts in Junea @ the reddog, the salmon bake is worth the price(and I don't really care for fish) Skagway we did the glass blowing, this year we are going back with my brother his wife and my wifes sister and her beu on the 5th as well, see you there:cool:

The Princess bus out train back excursion to the Yukon is excellent. You can relax and enjoy the scenery and get a good commentary without missing so much when you drive. From the train you get a great view of the original gold rush path too.

I would do either whale watching or the Mildenhall glacier trek in Juneau.

We did Alaska last May(end of May) and said out of 20 cruises it was the best ever! We were on the Star. Stayed in Seattle for two days and loved the market area (Pike Market).

One trip I would say do not miss is the Train and Yukon trip. We loved it. Also in Ketchican go to the SoHo CoHo gallery for local art and one of a kind t shirts. Also take the tram up the hill to see the Tongass Narrows.

Have a great trip!!!

Thus past September, we did the Princess excursion out of Skagway to the Yukon via minibus, rather than via the train, and loved it. Our driver was very informative, and made several stops on the way up and on the way back for photo taking. We crossed over the border into Canada, and were able to get off the bus for a short time. The views were spectacular everywhere.

Thanks everybody for your suggestions which have been very helpful. Perhaps you may be able to suggest which helicopter tour to take, the choices are :- helicopter to, and land on the glacier 2.3 hrs $299 --- the same plus walkabout on the glacier 3.3 hrs $389 -- another similar but with a trek 4.3 hrs $419 and the last one is Pilot's Choice with landings 2.8hrs $429. Also there is a tour from Skagway by helicopter with a glacier landing 2 hrs $309. has anyone been on any - would Juneau be better than Skagway for the tour or vice-versa. We're both quite fit, so walking for an hour or so on the ice would be no problem. Once again, thanks for the courtesy of your replies.

• 4 weeks later...
Welcome!! Check out me Golden Alaska cruise photos from last June.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1022921&highlight=alaska+redone

Great photos! Looks like you had great weather at all of the ports. We are taking our second Alaska cruise first week in June 2010 on the Diamond Princess. What kind of temps did you encounter on your cruise? Also, how "full" was the ship?

Thanks!

Thanks everybody for your suggestions which have been very helpful. Perhaps you may be able to suggest which helicopter tour to take, the choices are :- helicopter to, and land on the glacier 2.3 hrs $299 --- the same plus walkabout on the glacier 3.3 hrs $389 -- another similar but with a trek 4.3 hrs $419 and the last one is Pilot's Choice with landings 2.8hrs $429. Also there is a tour from Skagway by helicopter with a glacier landing 2 hrs $309. has anyone been on any - would Juneau be better than Skagway for the tour or vice-versa. We're both quite fit, so walking for an hour or so on the ice would be no problem. Once again, thanks for the courtesy of your replies.

It is a mistake and I NEVER recommend, not having all plans and reservations in place BEFORE you arrive. Tours at the dock are extremely limited, and time is short. A lot of wasted time.

As for the helicopters- IF You are looking at a trek, I ONLY recommend the longest- "level 3" the others are just TOO short, by time you get going, it's time to turn around. These go as fast as the slowest person. :)

Double landings are excellent, but if funds are more limited- a single landing is a good value, and may allow you some other varied touring? I'm assuming you are quoting ship tours above?? There are independent options as well.

Archived