Travel Documentation

Kap Jack

I am curious as to how many people use Passport Book, Passport Card or Birth Certificate. Which one did you use on your last cruise and which one will you use on your next one?

I have used a passport book and birth certificate on cruises. I will say that I feel much more comfortable now that I have a passport. I was always fearful that someone in the our party would miss the ship and have issues without a passport.

I have had passports for 40 years. AND...they always go ashore with me. EM

I have had passports for 20 years. AND...they NEVER go ashore with me. In fact on my favorite cruise line, whether it be in the Caribbean or Europe you are required to surrender your passport to the ship on embarkation and it is returned at the end of the cruise . . . NO EXCEPTIONS.

I travel with Passport and Driver's license. I use the passport within the US as well. It's easier to show at the airport - I hate having to pull out the small drivers license. I dropped it once and didn't realize it.

While it wasn't on a cruise, I needed to leave a form of identification when I rented a bicycle in Rome. I didn't want to give up my passport, but was willing to leave the license behind since I wasn't going to need it again until I got home (and could easily replace it.)

Maybe because I've hit 50 and tend to forget things from time to time - I keep all the travel id's together and take them all each time.

We haven't cruised yet, but we're planning on using passports so that we all use the same thing. Since DH was born abroad to US parents and doesn't have a copy of his birth certificate (and FIL can't seem to find his copy) I think it's easier to renew his passport than to get a copy of his birth certificate. And, since we're renewing his, we figured we may as well get passports for the kids and myself as well.

And, I figure we may as well just get the passport book just in case we decide we want to fly internationally.

We haven't had passports before, but we figured sooner or later we'll need them so we just got passport books.

DH applied at our post office (Ohio) on January 13, and we got the passport back today, Feb. 1. We didn't pay to expedite, it just came back that fast. I am really impressed.

YMMV, but it works for us!

Archived