Amsterdam to Budapest or in reverse?

Ozjohnno

As we plan our trip of a lifetime many questions arise in our minds but a quick search of this board usually provides great answers. In the case of the Amsterdam to Budapest cruise "herself" prefers to sail one way whilst I prefer the other. Can those of you who have done this trip please advise me is going one way better than the other or are they both equally good?

We did Budapest to Amsterdam in 2008 on Uniworld. It was a wonderful trip and I highly recommend it. River barge travel can be described in one word: "gracious"

The Bavarian towns with their half-timbered walls will have you feeling as though you are walking through an illustrated "Grimm's Fairy Tales" The mountainsides covered with vineyards were gorgeous and the castles----Wow!

With most of the river cruise lines you can get pre and post cruise days with sightseeing added on to your package so I don't see how it can make a big difference where you start or finish. We spent a day in Budapest sightseeing a bit on our own then another day after we boarded the ship. When we got to Amsterdam we made our own arrangements for a hotel and stayed on to do a bit of sightseeing there.

If there is a price difference then that might help you to make up your mind.

The only thing I can advise you is that when you are sitting on the sun deck, floating down the peaceful rivers and canal, one of you can look upstream and the other can look downstream.:)

We did the Budapest to Amsterdam route based on research on this board and the fact that we wanted to spend extra days in Budapest precruise. The weather systems run from North to South so if there is bad weather and you sail Amsterdam to Budapest the front will be with you the whole way. We did the Budapest to Amsterdam itinerary and had 1 rainy day in Brastilava and the remainder of our cruise had great weather.

I will agree with letsgo.

The itinerary from south to north, is the best way to do it, according to some of the staff onboard River Duchess.

They said that you do avoid that potenial bad weather that can follow you right down the river.

Another reason is the some of the highlights scenery wise, just get better as you go north.

Here's my thoughts - Our tour director told us that the best would be from Amsterdam to Budapest. You have to look at your itinerary to see which direction will give you the most time in little village of Rudesheim if that stop is included. Rudesheim is a village not to be missed. We been with Vantage and going north the stop is in the morning with little time but when going from Amsterdam south you get there around 3pm and leave around 10pm. Much better going north to south. Check to see if that stop is listed and how much time you have both ways. Great wine and a fun place. Willard

Thank you to those that have replied. I really appreciate you taking the time to give us some advice. I see the thinking behind the weather factor and the itinerary. I can see with all the planning and thinking you have to do prior to the trip that the holiday will be needed and appreciated even more ....:D

Here's my thoughts - Our tour director told us that the best would be from Amsterdam to Budapest. You have to look at your itinerary to see which direction will give you the most time in little village of Rudesheim if that stop is included. Rudesheim is a village not to be missed. We been with Vantage and going north the stop is in the morning with little time but when going from Amsterdam south you get there around 3pm and leave around 10pm. Much better going north to south. Check to see if that stop is listed and how much time you have both ways. Great wine and a fun place. Willard

We spent most of the day in Rudesheim when we went from Budapest to Amsterdam. It was a two week cruise. I can't recall if there were any places we stopped that we felt we didn't have enough time to explore on our own after the excellent cruise line organized tour.

We had more than enough time to visit the wine museum (be careful of the stairs) and a delightful "mechanical music" museum where we got to see music boxes and other mechanical music makers in the former home of a knight who had gone on crusades. The house alone was worth the visit. We also had plenty of time to get us some of Rudesheim's Ansbacher Kaffee, a wonderful coffee made with a flaming sugar lump and the awesome local brandy.

This was the one place that we weren't crazy about the ship's tour. It was horribly foggy and they put us on a tram-like bus that was supposed to be a train with canned commentary. Then we went up a cable car to the top of a mountain to see some famous German statue which was shrouded in mist. I'm sure the park would have been lovely under other circumstances, but I was freezing and the visibility was about 10 feet.

After returning on the cable car we had the great and warming kaffee then wandered around a while taking in the music box museum. By that time the mist had lifted and we got to see the statue from the roof of the wine museum (which is a castle). We had plenty of time to wander through the streets and enjoy the scenery on either side of the river. It was a lovely day.

(If Vantage didn't give you enough time, I'm crossing them off my list for future cruise companies. I hate being rushed!)

To the OP (original poster): My email address is kelliepoodle@yahoo.com. I kept a diary of our trip in October 2008, so if there is any information I can help you with for your upcoming trip, please feel free to email me.

We did Tauck from Amsterdam to Budapest, and because this question has been asked before on these boards, I asked the Cruise Director for her input. Most lines have a big event in Vienna, Tauck's was fabulous, and for this reason coming near the end her advice was to go n/s. The weather problem can go either way and therefore I wouldn't put too much weight on it.

There is a stop in Passau on this itinerary - and there is an amazing pipe organ in the Cathedral there. There is a concert every day at noon.

We arrived in Passau in the afternoon - so were unable to hear the concert. If you are interested in hearing the organ - a morning arrival might be best.

Also - most lines stop at Durnstein and Melk. We enjoyed both, but felt that there was not much to see in Durnstein after the tour (just our opinion, of course...). The south-->north itinerary works well for these stops, as you see Durnstein and then lunch on board before going to Melk. We enjoyed the extra time in Melk.

Make sure you have extra time in Budapest. There is so much to see and not enough time on the cruise. You get the highlights but are very rushed so you really do not see anything. We did Amsterdam to Budapest and were glad that we were eased into the hotter weather. If you come from a cooler climate, then this is the best way, If you come from a hotter climate then the other may work for you.

Archived