Carnival Allows Cancelation for Military Deployment, right?

Chowder_17

While, my husband and I are getting ready to go on our 1st cruise in a WEEK! We are thinking of booking around for around the same time next year. Thing is, my deployment window is Dec 2010- June 2011. Its not guaranteed that I will deploy, but it case if I do, will Carnival give me a credit for a future cruise? Thanks for the help.

first i want too thank you for being part of our military. i would call carnival and ask them. i dont know if the insurance you can buy will cover that or not. but a phone call would be your best bet. i hope you get too go on your cruise. stay safe and have a wonderful cruise.

While, my husband and I are getting ready to go on our 1st cruise in a WEEK! We are thinking of booking around for around the same time next year. Thing is, my deployment window is Dec 2010- June 2011. Its not guaranteed that I will deploy, but it case if I do, will Carnival give me a credit for a future cruise? Thanks for the help.

Carnival states that they review each such case on a case-by-case basis - there's no "guarantee". checkout TravelInsured Trip Insurance (from USAA if you're a member) that includes Military Leave Cancellation/revocation" coverage. ken

We just returned from a cruise on the Spirit. We traveled with my son and daughter-in-law.

Bought travel insurance and made sure there was a provision for being called for duty, deployment, etc.

BTW, lol, my son is also stationed in Colorado Springs ( Ft. Carson)!

Enjoy your belated honeymoon cruise! It was the same for my son and they

had a great time!

If you are deployed will you not have any advance notice? Anyone can cancel and get a full refund if you cancel before final payment is due (75 days on 7 day cruises, 60 days on shorter ones.

Im guessing you dont book early saver to save money up front? Early saver your deposit is not refundable.

If you are deployed will you not have any advance notice?

Most times you have very little notice. A real good example is of the Marines who just got back from a 6-month float. They had been back for a month when they were redeployed back onboard and sent to Haiti.

Dave

I would check with your supervisor to see if they would even allow you to book a cruise during your deployment window. I was in the AF for 11 years (recently separated), and the rule was you had to be home within 48 hours if you were on leave during your deployment window and you got tasked. Your unit may have different rules, but I would not want you to have an unpleasant surprise if you got a short-notice deployment! Good luck!

Most times you have very little notice. A real good example is of the Marines who just got back from a 6-month float. They had been back for a month when they were redeployed back onboard and sent to Haiti.

Dave

I've never known anyone to get less than three months notice of a major deployment. Units deploy on a schedule and the units that are on notice for short notice deployments for emergencies know that and aren't allowed to take leave. Also occasionally someone will move to a unit that's deployed and have to deploy right away but if they've done their research (and that stuff is published in the media) they'd know that the deployment is upcoming.

I'm sure that there are rare exceptions, but most of the time there is plenty of notice.

As for the trip, my worry would be that they'd refund the AD member but not the family. I'd get insurance.

I've never known anyone to get less than three months notice of a major deployment. Units deploy on a schedule and the units that are on notice for short notice deployments for emergencies know that and aren't allowed to take leave. Also occasionally someone will move to a unit that's deployed and have to deploy right away but if they've done their research (and that stuff is published in the media) they'd know that the deployment is upcoming.

I'm sure that there are rare exceptions, but most of the time there is plenty of notice.

As for the trip, my worry would be that they'd refund the AD member but not the family. I'd get insurance.

With the Marine Corps being a small organization (currently 220,000 members, up from 180,000), deployments with little or short notice occurs more often than the other services. Major deployments/training are on a schedule but things change often.

Dave

Thanks for all the help! Just to clear some stuff up with myself. My job in the Air Force doesn't deploy as a unit, we deploy as individuals. Typically, I should have a few months notice and I know when my window is, but sometimes they deploy shortly before or after your window starts or ends. But, there is always so much training to do before going and those are usually last minute.

Normal deployments, yes usually have plenty of advance notice. Times are not normal for the military these days. When I was on active duty (retired US Navy 1995) we had plenty of very short notice (24 hours or less) dets that lasted as long as the scheduled deployments. We just had a local group CBs return from their scheduled deployment, instant turn around to Haiti for who knows how long.

With the Marine Corps being a small organization (currently 220,000 members, up from 180,000), deployments with little or short notice occurs more often than the other services. Major deployments/training are on a schedule but things change often.

Dave

You are so right my husband has been in the Marine Corps for 18 years..He is due back from Afgh. in June and leaving again in Nov, but you never know..I always get insurance that covers acts of war ...I do believe most travel companies will work with you, we were booked on Celebrity once and they let us change the dates with no penalty..however I always get insurance...Happy Honeymoon!!! Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Chowder_17!

I know where you're coming from with AD military (I am also AD USAF) - to start, I would call Carnival - 1) they can clarify for your situation specifically, 2) they offer some really awesome military discounts (but not for every cruise so it's kind of hit or miss).

Also, check with a travel agent - they may be able to offer more protection when it comes to changing a booking (plus Carnival may be more willing to pull some strings for a TA).

Finally, travel insurance isn't a bad idea. Planning this far in advance it may be the way to go. The BF (also AD AF) & I are sailing in 30 days, didn't get insurance which is fine at this point because we can't be deployed (too close to DOS) & both of our units are aware that we intend to take leave for that specific week. (Now I'm just crossing my fingers for our travel plans & while we're onboard).

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your first cruise (I read your review - thank you!!! we're sailing the same ship & itinerary) & that you have joined the club of cruise addicts!

Archived