Opinions please? 9th vs 11th

love4monsters

We are booked into 2 adjoining mini suites on the Pearl in December. We are considering moving down to the 9th deck - close to the middle but forward into 2 adjoining balcony cabins to save some money as taxes were not so attractive this year. We have never cruised and this may be our only cruise with all 4 boys. There are a lot of places we still want to take the boys in the U.S. I get motion sickness sometimes. Will there be a huge difference in these cabins? It would save close to 600 bucks - which would cover the gratuities is my thinking. Just want my family to be comfortable. My husband required a balcony as he did 20 years in the Navy without! Kids will be 13,11,10 and 3.

Opinions?

Thanks for your help.

I don't think that the deck location will make any real difference.

The main differences between the mini-suite and the balcony cabin are a slightly larger cabin, a larger pull-out sofa bed, a larger balcony and a tub in the bathroom vs a shower. Oh...and there is a curtain between the bed and the sofa bed, too.

I can't speak for the impact on you of the dollar difference, but for me I would rather spend those dollars on excursion activities or other things to expand the experience.

and...thanks to your husband and you for your service to our country.

We are deck 9 fans of both the Pearl and Star. Be sure the rooms are approved for however many you intend to have in each. If you're not near the middle of the ship for motion control, then towards the rear is less motion than towards the front. However, unless you're really unlucky with the weather, the ships are very smooth....and there are a variety of products that do a good job in helping control motion sickness. A balcony room vs a mini suite is similar but lacks a tub, having a very nice enclosed shower instead.

We are deck 9 fans of both the Pearl and Star. Be sure the rooms are approved for however many you intend to have in each.

They are a family of 6 so they could book 3 in each room (which is max in a balcony). I'd say go for the cost savings. But, we can't live without a tub. And, the balcony is smaller in the balcony rooms vs. the AF. But, since you'll have adjoining rooms you can ask the cabin steward to open the partition between the two. Also, keep this in mind: when the sofa bed is turned out to a bed in the balcony cabin, there is no room to walk around it to get to the balcony. In the AF, there will be a few inches of walking space to get to the balcony.

Have a GREAT cruise!!!

Thanks for the replies. I called this morning and got an even better offer than yesterday = saved 800 smackers! Woo hoo! :D Money is always an issue with 4 kids who are constantly growing. I was leaning toward downsizing the room because there are some excursions that look great! We love taking our kids places but with 6 of us, sometimes is gets pricey.

Thanks again!

Thanks for the replies. I called this morning and got an even better offer than yesterday = saved 800 smackers! Woo hoo! :D Money is always an issue with 4 kids who are constantly growing. I was leaning toward downsizing the room because there are some excursions that look great! We love taking our kids places but with 6 of us, sometimes is gets pricey.

Thanks again!

At the following are "way too many" (I say that every time) pictures of the pearl last June. If you dig through them, you will find some shots of the interior of our deck 9 balcony room. Sounds like a great family adventure.

http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/f...ska/?start=all

Archived