"Wine cruise" question

sandravb79

(Be prepared for a very stupid question)

I saw in the Celebrity brochure that in September, there is a cruise from Vancouver to San Diego on the Millenium, and that it is called "wine cruise". (are you ready for the stupid question?)

Why is it called wine cruise? Is it because it cruises a region where grapes are grown for wine, or is it because the theme of the cruise is wine and everything on board will be dedicated to wine, with special tastings, conferences etc?

(In the first case we would be interested in doing that cruise, in the second case not so much because my mom (travel partner) doesn't drink wine, and I drink it but don't care about it any much more than just that)

Thanks for the answer :)

I saw in the Celebrity brochure that in September, there is a cruise from Vancouver to San Diego on the Millenium, and that it is called "wine cruise". (are you ready for the stupid question?)

Why is it called wine cruise? Is it because it cruises a region where grapes are grown for wine, or is it because the theme of the cruise is wine and everything on board will be dedicated to wine, with special tastings, conferences etc?

(In the first case we would be interested in doing that cruise, in the second case not so much because my mom (travel partner) doesn't drink wine, and I drink it but don't care about it any much more than just that)

We are on that cruise. We have a very active Roll Call if you are interested in booking. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=965675&page=72

To answer your question, both apply. They have several wine events on board the ship, if you are so inclined, plus several of the ports stop in various wine countries if you are so inclined to take a ship's excursion or one on your own.

My wife doesn't drink wine, but Millennium has a nice martini bar. :) We hit some great ports with lots of things to do other than drink wine, especially with the overnight in San Francisco.

Thank you for the answer. :)

For us, it's way too early to already book a cruise for September, we are still in the process of booking our April cruise! (courtesy hold on teh cruise, have to go to TA tomorrow to pay for it). But I was going through all the brochures to look for one now in April and saw that one in September and started dreaming about it.

It is certainly on my "wish list" for our "fall vacation".

Hi sandravb. We are also on this Wine cruise. My DH and myself do not drink wine but we booked this itinerary due to we loved the ports. Like Wine-O said there are going to be wine events around the ship and winery tours at the ports. If you and your mom doesn't want to participate in those that is ok. We would love to have you join our roll call (Wine-O gave you the link).

Cindy

For us, it's way too early to already book a cruise for September, we are still in the process of booking our April cruise! (courtesy hold on teh cruise, have to go to TA tomorrow to pay for it). But I was going through all the brochures to look for one now in April and saw that one in September and started dreaming about it.

Too early to book? We booked this cruise in July of 2009. :eek:

Just an FYI. This cruise is 82% already booked. If your interested in possibly doing this cruise for September I would suggest putting a deposit down now to "grab" a room. You can cancel between now and 45 days prior to full payment. Plus the prices on this cruise keeps on going up and I don't see them going down. This is a specialty cruise and is only once a year. Not like a caribbean cruise.

We take care of the grandparents and have no idea if we'll be able to travel then.

That's why we always book our vacations late (when not cruising, I sometimes book everything like only two weeks before).

Next to that, there is my job where they are not easy on approving vacation requests (ftr, in Belgium, everyone has at least 20 vacation days that they HAVE TO use. This fact caused already a lot of discussion on another board. It's a fact here, I know it's different in the US. :) ) If I go ask now for vacation in September, they'll look at me and not even give an answer, lol.

We had thought about a New ENgland/ Canada cruise for the fall, or the Med again if flights to the US are too expensive, but then I saw the wine cruise, and since I love the West coast (spent already many non-cruise vacations there), I just wondered.

So, for us, it's too early to book this cruise now. But I'll keep an eye out for it, and I wish all of you on the cruise a great trip!!

We were on the Millennium Wine Cruise this past fall. I had looked at this itinerary for a couple of years and always wanted to try it. The ports were great, especially our overnight stay in San Francisco near Fisherman's Wharf. We enjoyed taking excursions to wineries near our ports. But that's entirely up to you - other types of excursions were offered. We did not participate in any of the onboard wine events but heard from others that they were very nice. So as far as the "wine" aspect, it's really up to you how much you want to pursue it.

Archived