Belize How safe?

gilby

Have been there three times and never had a problem or felt unsafe. Like any country of this type just be aware like in any large US city not to flash cash or wear tons of jewelery. Also remember that the cruise lines might not want you to leave the pier area so that they can make more money off the cut they make from there....

I've been to Belize twice and never had an issue-although the first time I didn't leave the port area. The second time several in our group did an excursion with a group called Coral Breeze, whom I highly recommend! We did a Manatee watch, snorkel, and Island break tour which I must say was one of the highlights of my cruise. Didn't see too many Manatees, but it was a relaxing boat trip in the Mangroves. Bannister Island was gorgeous for a beach break, and the snorkeling was great! (Belize has the second largest barrier reef system in the world.) I am not an experienced snorkeler and the people in this group are very patient and made sure I had a great experience. I think you would be doing yourself a big favor to explore this beautiful place. Just make sure you research it well!:)

We have been to Belize several times, most recently off the Valor last week.

Inside the gates there are several shops; outside of the gates, it is dirty and more "local" stuff. I personally do not care of the immediate area outside of the gates however, if you take the time to do a tour you will see a much prettier side of the Island.

As far as it being safe, use some precautions. Do not bring a lot of cash outside with you and expect to be asked to buy everything from little necklaces to hair-braiding. My two nephews (18) went outside of the gate on this trip and they were safe but it certainly opened their eyes to third world living!

Stay inside the gates unless you're on an organized pre-booked tour. Vultures will be hollering for you through the gates to take tours with them, but how can one know if they're reputable or whether they want to rob tourists?

This is no reason to stay inside the gates. yes, the sales people outside push their product hard, but that does not make it unsafe. Belize is as safe as any other big city in the US. Take a few common sense precautions and you will be fine.

I am amazed at how so many people equate a lower standard of living than they are used to seeing with unsafe.

We have wondered all over Belize city on our own. It is a very safe city. You will pass street vendors selling crafts, mainly wood carvings but other wares too. They will give an aggressive sales pitch but a simple "no thank you" and off you go.

Well, my first trip to Belize ended up being quite "interesting" (you can read the full story in the review in my signature), and I would probably never book a cruise for the purpose of going to Belize. However, if I ended up with an itinerary that stopped in Belize - I would book a ship's excursion the next time - even though I have always in the past booked private ones. Several factors would play into this decision for me - the length of the tender ride and the unreliablity of the vendors and the water taxi schedule. I was a little intimidated by the aggressiveness of the vendors but I was also impressed by the courtesy and kindness of the people.

This is no reason to stay inside the gates. yes, the sales people outside push their product hard, but that does not make it unsafe. Even if it's not unsafe, it's annoying. Belize is as safe as any other big city in the US. How do you know? Take a few common sense precautions and you will be fine.

I am amazed at how so many people equate a lower standard of living than they are used to seeing with unsafe. They want our money.

My comments are in red.

We have wondered all over Belize city on our own. It is a very safe city. You will pass street vendors selling crafts, mainly wood carvings but other wares too. junk to clutter our houses They will give an aggressive sales pitch I don't want to be pestered on vacation but a simple "no thank you" and off you go.

My comments are in red.

if you take the time to do a tour you will see a much prettier side of the Island.

I had to comment on this. Belize is not an island.

We did the cave tubing through Carnival June, 2008 and had a blast. We drove through Belize City and the countryside. Although it was very beautiful, we did notice armed policeman throughout the country. Armed with machine guns. This was a little unsettling.

The Only way not to be pestered is to stay on the ship in the Carib.

And even Carnival have a way of pestering.

I think everyone should remember that Carnival is a huge company in a very competitive market and if their passengers were being robbed and such they would leave that island alone all together. But they do expect their passengers to use sound judgement in what they do at each stop.

This is no reason to stay inside the gates. yes, the sales people outside push their product hard, but that does not make it unsafe. Belize is as safe as any other big city in the US. Take a few common sense precautions and you will be fine.

I am amazed at how so many people equate a lower standard of living than they are used to seeing with unsafe.

Besides the "lower standard of living," there is also a 2-hour documentary which describes Belize as having one of the highest crime rates in the world. Not to mention the huge number of extremely violent gangs that call Belize home. I am very adventurous, but I would not travel outside the gates in Belize without a reputable tour guide! Just my 2 cents!:rolleyes:

I have a friend who has property in Belize and are in the middle of building their vacation/retirement home there. The only advice she gave me was to not wear any jewelry at all or flash cash. When she is there she takes off her fancy wedding ring and wears a simple silver band and no other jewelry at all.

Besides the "lower standard of living," there is also a 2-hour documentary which describes Belize as having one of the highest crime rates in the world. Not to mention the huge number of extremely violent gangs that call Belize home. I am very adventurous, but I would not travel outside the gates in Belize without a reputable tour guide! Just my 2 cents!:rolleyes:

I also heard that there are violent gangs in California, Florida and Ohio, so don't go there either.

We just got back from the Carnival Glory, we did the cavetubingdotcom and had a great time, however it did run long and we did not have time to shop. If we go back to Belize City, I will NOT be going outside the gate by ourselves. Make sure to lock all your jewelry in the safe on the ship, no matter what you plan to do, why take the chance. This is a very impoverished area. At the security check point there were temporary graves, not sure what that was all about. Had a once in a lifetime experience cave tubing, it was a total blast, and we felt very safe doing this excursion.

Belize is a third world country - taking that into consideration; take needed precautions. Leave jewelry and excess money on the ship. I would only bring about 50.00 with me (unless you were looking to purchase something specifically) Walking around Belize is the same as walking around most major metropolitan US cities, there will be crime and there will be people looking to take advantage of you. If you use common sense you should be fine.

With that being said, there really is not much to see until you get further out of the pier area. Meaning take a tour and see the Island not the pier area......

With that being said, there really is not much to see until you get further out of the pier area. Meaning take a tour and see the Island not the pier area......

Belize is NOT AN ISLAND. It IS a developing country.

People here in Washington DC get shot in the head by stray bullets while sitting on their couch watching TV in their own home. We still live here, and millions of tourists come every year, as well as world leaders. Don't go looking for trouble, be aware of your surroundings and just relax and enjoy the trip.

Belize is NOT AN ISLAND. It IS a developing country.

People here in Washington DC get shot in the head by stray bullets while sitting on their couch watching TV in their own home. We still live here, and millions of tourists come every year, as well as world leaders. Don't go looking for trouble, be aware of your surroundings and just relax and enjoy the trip.

You are correct it is not an Island (thanks for the geographical correction) however, it is not a developing (to be developing you must be moving forward) country it is a third world country, with several Islands near by!

Went to Belize over X'mas. Went cave tubing and had a great time. On the way back to the ship our van was shot at by 2 guys on the side of the road. Luckily no one was hurt. As soon as you enter the city they have police on the corners. Feel safe. Not in my book!

Went to Belize over X'mas. Went cave tubing and had a great time. On the way back to the ship our van was shot at by 2 guys on the side of the road. Luckily no one was hurt. As soon as you enter the city they have police on the corners. Feel safe. Not in my book!

Glad everyone is safe - not a great way to spend your vacation :rolleyes:

Archived