Vancouver Sky Train Safety\Airport Time

Hey Everyone,

We have a flight out of YVR at 8:50 a.m. on Sunday May 23rd which appears to be a Canadian Holiday weekend. I am thinking of arriving at the airport by 6:30 no later then 6:50 a.m. Is that enough time to get through customs and security?

What time do I need to hit the Skytrain, is 6:00 a.m. ok? Also, we will be likely staying at the Hyatt so we will be walking from the Hyatt to the Vancouver City Center Skytrain stop, is that a safe and ok walk in the early morning with luggage and all?

Yes every safe area - heart of the hotel and tourist area - it's about 25 minutes to the Airport - and then you will have a few more minutes to get from the Canada Line terminal to the appropriate airport terminal.

ScottBee works at the Airport so he will likely be along a little later with his suggestion as to whether this will work.

Cheers

Dennis

We have a flight out of YVR at 8:50 a.m. on Sunday May 23rd which appears to be a Canadian Holiday weekend. I am thinking of arriving at the airport by 6:30 no later then 6:50 a.m. Is that enough time to get through customs and security?

What time do I need to hit the Skytrain, is 6:00 a.m. ok? Also, we will be likely staying at the Hyatt so we will be walking from the Hyatt to the Vancouver City Center Skytrain stop, is that a safe and ok walk in the early morning with luggage and all?

Actually I don't work at the airport, it just seems that way :-)

6:00 out of waterfront station will get you to the airport in 25 minutes or so. I don't think you'll have too much trouble at that time of the morning, the really early flights will have already left.

As for the walk being safe, it'll be fine at that time, in the summer the sun rises pretty early. Lastly, you're probably better off walking to Waterfront station; specifically the enterence at W.Hastings & Granville, rather that up to City Centre station, as it's downhill not uphill (although it's not steep)

map: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.284842,-123.115432&spn=0.010778,0.020492&z=16

The Hyatt is on Burrard, between W.Pender and Dunsmuir (across the st from a station on the wrong line of Skytrain)

Just to throw in my 2cents... The actual travel time to the airport from Waterfront. (end of the line) is supposed to be 26 mins. according to the transit website. :) So if you start somewhere upsteam is would be shorter.

I have tried it out now a few times and I must say it's a great way to get to the airport. There is lots of room for bags in different area's as long as there are not bikes at the same time. The only problem being the number of bags one might have to keep moving on and off and to and from the stations.

Leftcoast raises a good point and that is you must be able to handle all of your luggage on your own plus you must have mobility...DW lacks mobility and therefore the Canada line is a non-starter for us as I couldn't handle all of our luggage.

The only problem being the number of bags one might have to keep moving on and off and to and from the stations.

Just to clarify once we get to the station and on the train its a straight shot to the airport right we don't have to change trains or anything? Just want to make sure as well have 3 bags plus carry ons (assuming canada relents on the carry on thing before may)

A word of caution here - if I remember correctly it is every second Canada Line train that goes to the Airport - the other train goes into Richmond Center.

Perhaps Scott or some that use the line often can clarify.

Cheers

Dennis

Hi All,

I am going to be staying Vancouver post-cruise. Will be staying at the Blue Horizon (Robson Street). Our flight leaves at 9:30 am. Can someone tell me what time we should leave the hotel and when we should be at the airport for a flight to Ottawa/NY? Is it three hours ahead in Vancouver? Will be able to take the Skytrain?

Also, we will be spending a day in Vancouver. What should we see?

Thanks.

Just to clarify once we get to the station and on the train its a straight shot to the airport right we don't have to change trains or anything? Just want to make sure as well have 3 bags plus carry ons (assuming canada relents on the carry on thing before may)

it's a straight shot on every other train. It's clearly posted in overhead displays, http://picasaweb.google.com/vancouvercruise/CanadaLineYVRToCanadaPlaceWaterfrontStation#5371840327779501250 on the train etc etc which ones goes to YVR and which go to Richmond.

http://picasaweb.google.com/vancouvercruise/CanadaLineYVRToCanadaPlaceWaterfrontStation# has photos of what to expect for the whole journey

Hey Everyone,

We have a flight out of YVR at 8:50 a.m.... Is that enough time to get through customs and security?

To where are you flying? Domestic or International? I ask because if it's other than Canada, I honestly would not feel comfortable with a two-hour window. I'd want at least three. The security lines for U.S. bound and International flights are crazy, even on a good day. We know from experience.

To where are you flying? Domestic or International? I ask because if it's other than Canada, I honestly would not feel comfortable with a two-hour window. I'd want at least three. The security lines for U.S. bound and International flights are crazy, even on a good day. We know from experience.

YVR to Tampa, FL so International. So you think 2 hours would not be enough time even at 6:40-50 in the morning? This is my first international flight so I honestly don't know what to expect. I just figured that's earlier then the boats at canada place arrive and relatively speaking (atleast in the us) airports are slow that early in the morning.

it's a straight shot on every other train. It's clearly posted in overhead displays, http://picasaweb.google.com/vancouvercruise/CanadaLineYVRToCanadaPlaceWaterfrontStation#5371840327779501250 on the train etc etc which ones goes to YVR and which go to Richmond.

http://picasaweb.google.com/vancouvercruise/CanadaLineYVRToCanadaPlaceWaterfrontStation# has photos of what to expect for the whole journey

Just have to post to say how awesome that is and a huge help! They should make that a sticky for people questions the airport line.

If you are out at YVR somewhere between 6:30 & 6:50 am for a 8:50 flight you will be there in loads of time to clear US customs and security. If your flight were at 10:50 am I might suggest a little more wiggle room particulalry if it were a day when there were a number of cruise ships in town.

Dude, you're so awesome. :) I didn't need this information, but I know there are many others who appreciate it. Thank you.

Because this was bound to be a constant question, where does it run, how does it run etc etc; I took the time to make a google map of downtown, and post some photos; Google map is here, and if people are looking for a map of how to get around downtown, where the stations/docks are, it's all on there. If you have suggestions for more, let me know

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100934763039761071004.000467645fcda21dd87b2&ll=49.286087,-123.112965&spn=0.022142,0.066047&z=15

Hi,

I just found out that Celebrity pier is not connected to the skytrain. How difficult is it to get to the airport in Vancouver from the Celebrity pier and how much it would cost. Celebrity charges $39 for transfer to airport and there are three traveling. Thanks for the information and photos. They are invaluable.

Hi,

I just found out that Celebrity pier is not connected to the skytrain. How difficult is it to get to the airport in Vancouver from the Celebrity pier and how much it would cost. Celebrity charges $39 for transfer to airport and there are three traveling. Thanks for the information and photos. They are invaluable.

Unless things change, the port schedule for this season has Celebrity landing at Canada Place for this season (as opposed to Ballantyne in recent years) so you will be right next door to Waterfront Station and the Canada Line to YVR.:) link

Unless things change, the port schedule for this season has Celebrity landing at Canada Place for this season (as opposed to Ballantyne in recent years) so you will be right next door to Waterfront Station and the Canada Line to YVR.:) link

You are the best. Thank you for the information.:)

Marianna

Archived