Overnight in Cusco or Sacred Valley Before MP?

j2ink

I have read many of CC posts about this trip and have found them very informative. I'm going to follow greatam's advice about taking it easy after flying LAX to Lima to Cusco. However, I am considering adding an extra hour or two and going directly from Cusco into the Sacred Valley without stopping in Cusco. I want to do this to avoid a hotel change. Once in the Sacred Valley, I was planning on taking it easy the first day and then doing a couple of day trips around the Sacred Valley before proceeding to MP -- probably from Ollantaytambo.

Do you think traveling to the Sacred Valley without stopping at Cusco is a bad idea? I haven't worked this all out yet, but the only downside I can see is trying to pick up the train tickets to MP (at the Cusco train office), and, also, I probably wouldn't see much of Cusco.

You can now buy train tickets in perurail.com and print etickets. You don't have to go to the station to pick them up.

That's what we did. I don't know if you plan to spend any time in Cusco after MP, but I would really recommend it if possible. Lots to see and do in and around town.

Archived