Anyone bring their own coffee?

ntengwall

I am not a huge coffee drinker but I enjoy my 1-2 cups of Dunkin Doughnuts coffee that I make in the mornings with my 2 cup french press. I have heard the coffee on the ships is made from syrup. Does anyone else bring their own coffee to make in their room? We're leaving from Bayonne NJ and driving there so it won't be a big deal for me to bring it...just wondering about how I will get boiling or near boiling water for my press. Thanks!

What room do you have? If you're in a JS or above you'll have a pot to boil water in and one of those one cup coffee makers. If you don't have a JS or above you can order a pot of hot water from room service but I don't know how hot it will be when it gets to you.

It would be FAR from boiling by the time it gets to you. I desperately missed my perfectly-made Maxwell House with my sugar free Hazelnut creamer...but for a week I survived. :) A french press would be quite easy to carry, but that boiling water thing could be an issue! :( (And make it more trouble than it's worth.)

It's strange. It does taste...oily. It's not quite as horrible as I had anticipated, though. One thing I found was a HUGE help was to hunt down the little containers of half & half. For every five containers of Coffeemate (which ALSO tastes like a bucket of grease), you'll find one half & half. Seek them out. They do make the coffee taste better.

What room do you have? If you're in a JS or above you'll have a pot to boil water in and one of those one cup coffee makers. If you don't have a JS or above you can order a pot of hot water from room service but I don't know how hot it will be when it gets to you.

How do I find out if our ship has one?

We have been on GS before and I don't remember seeing one:rolleyes:

But, then again, I always got up and went straight to the

concierge lounge;) Good coffee there!

How do I find out if our ship has one?

We have been on GS before and I don't remember seeing one:rolleyes:

But, then again, I always got up and went straight to the

concierge lounge;) Good coffee there!

The new suite enhancement program (and this includes JS cabins and above) includes a 2-cup Mr Coffee coffee maker along with an electric tea kettle.

I can tell you that the coffee packets that are provided for the Mr. Coffee machine are too large for the filter basket and, if used, makes a horrible cup of coffee.. I take my own Folgers coffee bags with me and use the electric tea kettle and it works out very well.

This is fleet wide except for Radiance where they did not have the Mr. Coffee in JS cabins as of November.

The new suite enhancement program (and this includes JS cabins and above) includes a 2-cup Mr Coffee coffee maker along with an electric tea kettle.

I can tell you that the coffee packets that are provided for the Mr. Coffee machine are too large for the filter basket and, if used, makes a horrible cup of coffee.. I take my own Folgers coffee bags with me and use the electric tea kettle and it works out very well.

This is fleet wide except for Radiance where they did not have the Mr. Coffee in JS cabins as of November.

It's funny how we 'have' to have our coffee! I'm having mine now! On the ship I'm the first one up and like to get my coffee as well. I get confused (not hard) with the new suite enhancement program. I know GS and above get the 'suite' life, but sometimes JS gets just a bit of that.

Thank you for your tips! I may bring coffee this next trip, along with a press:D

I have to have french vanilla creamer and Splenda in my coffee, so I took my own. They have travel sizes of the creamer in the grocery store, and I just bought a box of 50 packets of the Splenda. I found that if I put enough of the french vanilla creamer in their coffee, it made it drinkable. Otherwise I was visiting the coffee place on the Promenade everyday and paying over $4 for their version of a frappacino. :p

Just back from a cruise and took the new Starbucks instant packs because I hate ship coffee. BTW, their instant coffee is not really instant, it's their regular coffee grounds really fine. Works for me.

How did you get hot water? I'm not a huge Starbucks fan but like Via, their new instant. I thought I'd take some on my upcoming cruise but wasn't sure how to get hot enough water.

It's strange. It does taste...oily. It's not quite as horrible as I had anticipated, though. One thing I found was a HUGE help was to hunt down the little containers of half & half. For every five containers of Coffeemate (which ALSO tastes like a bucket of grease), you'll find one half & half. Seek them out. They do make the coffee taste better.
Only if you don't drink your coffee black.

Yes, they do have hot water in the buffets and in the areas where you can get a cup of their coffee anytime. I bring my own tea. Picky! I don't order hot water from room service as they serve it in the coffee pots and it tastes awful.

If you don't like the Starbuck's Via, Taster's Choice and Nescafe' both have single serving instant coffee tube things.

I'm a self-confessed coffee snob, preferring Starbucks. On Voyager and Freedom class (Explorer is a Voyager class ship) we usually go to Cafe Promenade and get either the no-charge Seattle's Best or sometimes splurge for a latte or Americano (though I had to teach them how to make an Americano). I also find that the coffee served in the dining room at breakfast is acceptable.

We took a box of Starbuck's Via on this last cruise, we did not use much of it because room service does not deliver boiling water. We also did not have any milk in the room, so if we are going to walk to Cafe Promenade for milk we might as well just get our coffee there too.

I'm a self-confessed coffee snob, preferring Starbucks. On Voyager and Freedom class (Explorer is a Voyager class ship) we usually go to Cafe Promenade and get either the no-charge Seattle's Best or sometimes splurge for a latte or Americano (though I had to teach them how to make an Americano). I also find that the coffee served in the dining room at breakfast is acceptable.

We took a box of Starbuck's Via on this last cruise, we did not use much of it because room service does not deliver boiling water. We also did not have any milk in the room, so if we are going to walk to Cafe Promenade for milk we might as well just get our coffee there too.

I have a stinger from Magellan's to super heat the water and milk and a battery operated milk frother from Aerolatte, that does the trick. But I find the water is very warm, most things are hot to warm when they arrive at our stateroom.

I am a coffee-holic. My husband is a truck driver and got me hooked, give me a good ole cup of Hills Brothers or Folgers and I'm happy. ( Starbucks tastes like truck stop coffee from last week where they forgot to clean the coffee maker) If the Owner's Suite has the little Mr Coffee maybe I'll bring my own grounds and filter if the one provided doesn't work.

Archived